Any pop-up (tent trailer) campers here?

Mr. P said:
and a small hatchet for me. I always found those 35mm plastic film jars/cans good for sugar, salt etc.

Yeah, I forgot the knife and hatchet. Those would be on my belt though not in the backpack. I was talking about packing my backpack. They, the 35mm plastic film jars, are also good for the waterproofed matches as well as the spices. Bring some of those prepackaged uncooked biscuits and an empty coffee can, some sugar and cinammon and some cooking oil. Put the oil in the can, poke a hole in the center of each biscuit and fry the biscuits until they are nice and brown add the sugar and cinnamon you have some great donuts if you want to carry all that stuff.

no1tovote4 said:
Yeah, I forgot the knife and hatchet. Those would be on my belt though not in the backpack. I was talking about packing my backpack. They, the 35mm plastic film jars, are also good for the waterproofed matches as well as the spices. Bring some of those prepackaged uncooked biscuits and an empty coffee can, some sugar and cinammon and some cooking oil. Put the oil in the can, poke a hole in the center of each biscuit and fry the biscuits until they are nice and brown add the sugar and cinnamon you have some great donuts if you want to carry all that stuff.

Yea know, everything cooked in the woods on a camp fire is great!!!

Mr. P said:
Yea know, everything cooked in the woods on a camp fire is great!!!

And you can cook nearly everything!

I wouldn't suggest cooking beans while high-altitude camping but nearly anything goes!

:D

no1tovote4 said:
And you can cook nearly everything!

I wouldn't suggest cooking beans while high-altitude camping but nearly anything goes!

:D

One of my favorite meals..a frozen hamburger 'steak', potatoes and carrots all wrapped in foil.
By dinner time the hamburger is thawed..just lay the whole thing on the coals in the foil...Boy it's good.

Mr. P said:
One of my favorite meals..a frozen hamburger 'steak', potatoes and carrots all wrapped in foil.
By dinner time the hamburger is thawed..just lay the whole thing on the coals in the foil...Boy it's good.

Dump the taters and use Cauliflower instead and I would agree...

Allergic reactions to food are important to avoid while camping. :)

no1tovote4 said:
Dump the taters and use Cauliflower instead and I would agree...

Allergic reactions to food are important to avoid while camping. :)
Hey, I forgot..sorry.. :)

On the fire starters...I've made two types..one, wooden matches tied with a sting dipped in wax..the other, newspaper rolled tight and dipped in wax..both work well..

Mr. P said:
Hey, I forgot..sorry.. :)

On the fire starters...I've made two types..one, wooden matches tied with a sting dipped in wax..the other, newspaper rolled tight and dipped in wax..both work well..

Carry dryer lint. It is highly flammable and extremely light and is fantastic if you have to use flint and steel if you lost your matches or some other problem arises.

I like using the matches with string... I never tried the newspaper idea.

no1tovote4 said:
Carry dryer lint. It is highly flammable and extremely light and is fantastic if you have to use flint and steel if you lost your matches or some other problem arises......
Get Idea!!! How long does it burn?
The newspaper lasts, being it's pretty much layers of paper soaked in wax about the size of a 'd' cell battery.
But ya need a flame to light it.

Mr. P said:
Get Idea!!! How long does it burn?
The newspaper lasts, being it's pretty much layers of paper soaked in wax about the size of a 'd' cell battery.
But ya need a flame to light it.

It doesn't burn all that long but it burns hot and is easy to light, shave some wood chips onto it before you light it and have your kindling handy to light from the wood chips. I usually would build the start of the fire before I launched the first sparks from the flint & steel. It sounds like this might be a perfect application for the newspaper. :)

Mr. P said:
I've been able to start a camp fire in the rain with em. :D

I always hate trying to find good firewood in the winter, then lighting it. You have to take off the gloves and the wind chill is often far below zero. You feel that right away!

no1tovote4 said:
I always hate trying to find good firewood in the winter, then lighting it. You have to take off the gloves and the wind chill is often far below zero. You feel that right away!
I always find my firewood before winter. Then in the winter, I'm by the fireplace.
Camping is a spring/summer thing for me. :)

Mr. P said:
I always find my firewood before winter. Then in the winter, I'm by the fireplace.
Camping is a spring/summer thing for me. :)

I have a tent with a fireplace in it. Getting away in the winter is sometimes more fun and I am always looking for a challenge.

no1tovote4 said:
I have a tent with a fireplace in it. Getting away in the winter is sometimes more fun and I am always looking for a challenge.
Winter camping is a challenge alright..been there done that and I won. Now I be old and wise
enough that I don't want to keep tempting mother nature, least she may kick my ass! :D

Mr. P said:
Winter camping is a challenge alright..been there done that and I won. Now I be old and wise
enough that I don't want to keep tempting mother nature, least she may kick my ass! :D

I guess I am still young and stupid! :D

This summer I will jump out of a plane on purpose. I am also planning on taking lessons in flight, fixed wing. Of course I doubt you think it is that risky but it will be a fun new thing to learn for me.

no1tovote4 said:
I guess I am still young and stupid! :D

This summer I will jump out of a plane on purpose. I am also planning on taking lessons in flight, fixed wing. Of course I doubt you think it is that risky but it will be a fun new thing to learn for me.

Done em both...Help ya any way I can.

Mr. P said:
But on the skydiving thing...I should warn ya...we used to say, "There are only two things that fall out of the sky, bird shit and fools". :D

Yeah, yeah. But you are talking to a man who did Bullriding for about three years after the service. You can't get anymore "foolish" than that.

no1tovote4 said:
Yeah, yeah. But you are talking to a man who did Bullriding for about three years after the service. You can't get anymore "foolish" than that.
Hahahaha...yeah okay,tell me that after ya make that first jump. :rotflmao:

no1tovote4 said:
I remember reading a story sometime about a guy who wanted to study bears so he packed up and went into the wood with his fiancee. They found some half-hibernating bears and decided to camp out in their midst.

They ran some videotape of the event and went to sleep with the camera still running. The camera was knocked over and a struggle ensued in which both the scientist, and I use that term loosely here, and his fiancee were slaughtered by the subject of their scientific inquiry. The sound of the "attack" was on the videotape when they found their remains.

I will see if I can search the article out sometime.

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/100803/sta_bear.shtml

Here is one much like it, I am unsure if it the same couple I read about but it is likely.

Yeah, it was these people. Here is another story that actually mentions the video tape.

http://www.adn.com/front/story/4898071p-4833196c.html

Forum List

Back