What's new
US Message Board 🦅 Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any one having problems with green horned tomato worms? A great way to find and kill them.

OKTexas

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've killed 29 in the last week on 7 tomato plants. Those suckers can be hard to find in daylight, so I tried something new last night. I got a UV light from my gemology kit and those little suckers glow under a UV light source. They are easy to spot and do away with. I was using an LED light that emits 395nm wave length. The blooms and degrading plant material will also have a distinctive glow as will the cast off from the worms. Good hunting.

Billy_Kinetta

Paladin of the Lost Hour
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
wm_13050628.jpg

Rambunctious

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I've killed 29 in the last week on 7 tomato plants. Those suckers can be hard to find in daylight, so I tried something new last night. I got a UV light from my gemology kit and those little suckers glow under a UV light source. They are easy to spot and do away with. I was using an LED light that emits 395nm wave length. The blooms and degrading plant material will also have a distinctive glow as will the cast off from the worms. Good hunting.

A drop of dish soap in spray bottle full of water.....

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Thank you! My wife will be delighted they have been munching on her plants for weeks now and they are SO HARD to see!

BasicHumanUnit

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Been wanting to grow some tomatoes in the garden. Very timely thread.

OP
OKTexas

OKTexas

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thank you! My wife will be delighted they have been munching on her plants for weeks now and they are SO HARD to see!

Well I thought I stumbled onto something new. But tonight I did a search and found this article.

OP
OKTexas

OKTexas

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't want to give them a bath. LOL

Rambunctious

Diamond Member
Reaction score

LOL good one....but the worms don't like the taste of the soap and will move on and it won't poison you...it washes right off your fruit and veggies.....

OP
OKTexas

OKTexas

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

LOL good one....but the worms don't like the taste of the soap and will move on and it won't poison you...it washes right off your fruit and veggies.....

I also read that there is a bacterial spray that will kill them, it's called Bt, it won't harm their natural predators either.

Compost

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sprinkling wood ash on the plants seems to help. I've been doing it regularly this year and there have far fewer of them.

As OK says, they are hard to see. I'd like to try the light trick and see one glow before I pull it off and stomp on it. LOL

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$295.00
Goal
$350.00

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List