Antonio Brown doing his thing

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
How many warning signs did you have to ignore to expect a different result?

1900x0.jpg

Albany Empire head coach Moe Leggett, left, shown covering owner Antonio Brown during a practice, now says members of the team plan to file a class-action lawsuit against Brown.

The head coach of the Albany Empire said members of the arena football team are planning a class-action lawsuit against owner Antonio Brownafter all the players and coaches discovered the paychecks from their final game were pulled from their bank accounts.

“I’m frustrated,” Empire head coach Moe Leggett said. “I’m frustrated. I tried to give (Brown) the benefit of the doubt. I tried to work with him. I was trying to be the peacemaker, the mediator to make sure things ran smoothly and just under the radar. But I can no longer do that.”

The news of the pulled paychecks was first reported by WTEN (Ch. 10).

Leggett said team members were paid last Thursday and Friday for the Orlando game. But a member of their group chat on Wednesday night posted a screenshot of the bank account reversal. When Leggett checked his account the next morning, his paycheck also had been deducted.

Efforts by the Times Union to reach Brown, Gunaris and Denis were unsuccessful.

Leggett said he’s looking for a lawyer to file a lawsuit against Brown and the trust of which Brown is a representative.

Empire wide receiver Fabian Guerra quickly found another playing job after the Empire ended. He’s playing for the Massachusetts Pirates, an Indoor Football League team in Worcester, Mass. He said he would join a lawsuit against Brown.

“I’m thinking since he didn’t pay us, it’s only the right thing to do,” Guerra said. “It’s kind of like bad business by him, but I’m over here in Massachusetts and playing with a new team, so I’m not worried. It sucks it has to come down to that and now there’s going to be a lawsuit, so he just looks bad.”

Guerra had an amicable relationship with Brown, who also is a rapper. They had worked out together in Miami, where both were raised.

“I feel like this was his plan all along,” Guerra said. “I feel like he does stuff for social media and to sell his songs. I think it’s just what he does. That’s the type of guy he is. No one trusts him anymore. I see it hard for him to get any future deals going because of how he is as a person.”

Empire lineman Brandon Thorpe, who is from Georgia, said he is staying at a friend’s house in Troy until he gets his paycheck back.

“My feelings are everywhere because I feel like he’s basically doing us so wrong to the point of no return,” Thorpe texted.

The fall of the Empire could lead to a flurry of litigation. MVP Arena general manager Bob Belber said this week he considers the Empire to be in default of their license agreement with the arena. That agreement was due to expire after this season.
The NAL kicked out the Empire after an emergency vote by the league owners. Commissioner Chris Siegfried said Brown owed $21,000 in league assessment fees.

“We have certain damages we’re going to be demanding from the Empire ownership,” Belber said. “Assuming there’s a favorable response to that, then everything can be worked out and we’ll get paid hopefully the damages that we’ll be owed. If it doesn’t, then we’ll see what other actions we may have to take.”

Forum List

Back