Another Missouri company announces layoffs.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Last week we were greeted with news that two Missouri Tyson Food plants were permanently closing.

This week Briggs and Stratton announced layoff at their Popular Bluff facility.

Sounds like the economy is really booming, doesn't it. 🙄

"For the second time in as many weeks, a large U.S. company has delivered unwelcome news to production workers in Southeast Missouri.

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin-based Briggs & Stratton will layoff 202 plant employees in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, beginning Saturday, Oct. 14.

On Aug. 7, Tyson Foods announced it plans a permanent furlough Friday, Oct. 13, of nearly 700 workers at its poultry production facilities in Dexter, Missouri.

While there is a finality to Tyson's decision to close its Dexter operation, Briggs & Stratton's Poplar Bluff plant manager Mark Melloy told www.manufacturing.net the company hopes the economy will improve and workers can be recalled."

Last week we were greeted with news that two Missouri Tyson Food plants were permanently closing.

"For the second time in as many weeks, a large U.S. company has delivered unwelcome news to production workers in Southeast Missouri.

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin-based Briggs & Stratton will layoff 202 plant employees in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, beginning Saturday, Oct. 14.

On Aug. 7, Tyson Foods announced it plans a permanent furlough Friday, Oct. 13, of nearly 700 workers at its poultry production facilities in Dexter, Missouri.

While there is a finality to Tyson's decision to close its Dexter operation, Briggs & Stratton's Poplar Bluff plant manager Mark Melloy told www.manufacturing.net the company hopes the economy will improve and workers can be recalled."

Can this, B&S, be attributed to CA's ban on small ICEs?

Sounds like a red state issue.

Nothing new since they told Noel they were closing five years ago. Someone will come along and reopen the plant just like the others have done in the area.

Red state failures.

Probably has nothing to do with how expensive lawn mowers have gotten. Hell you can't even find a decent push mower for less than about $600 around here.

Nothing new since they told Noel they were closing five years ago. Someone will come along and reopen the plant just like the others have done in the area.
I hope you're right. I was thinking about you when I read the original story about the closure.

I think I tagged you in it.

Noel has plenty of recreational income in the warm months...but I worry about what will happen in the winter.

I hope you're right. I was thinking about you when I read the original story about the closure.

I think I tagged you in it.

Noel has plenty of recreational income in the warm months...but I worry about what will happen in the winter.
The Somalians and Islanders will have to find new jobs but there are other poultry kill plants in a twenty-mile radius. I worked for Tysons from 1990-1992 as an Electronics Tech in Rogers, Ar. but they sucked to work for. I do security at campsites at night on the weekend and get paid to sit and party.

Smithy Foods announced the closure of 35 hog farm operations in Mizzouri...

Why is Smithfield closing hog farms in Missouri?

The U.S. meat industry has struggled with declining profits and reduced demand from consumers squeezed by inflation and higher interest rates. Amid spiraling feed and labor costs, meat companies have struggled to predict demand for their products.2 days ago

Smithfield Foods Closing 35 Hog Farm Sites in Missouri​

Forum List

Back