Another Lie Debunked- Blacks Waited For Whites to Free Them From Slavery

Did you bother to look up the USS Constellation? The anti-slave ship we built BEFORE we were even a country?

Are you Canadian? Because the Constellation was built in 1854.

You're right...I was a bit off on the date.

But as early as 1819 (43 years into being a new country) we were fighting against the owning of human beings!

African Slave Trade Patrol was part of the suppression of the Atlantic slave trade between 1819 ... American Navy the incentive to increase the strength of the Africa Squadron, the ship was also fitted out and used in anti-slavery operations.

Aside from the large number of blacks that died during the Civil War, blacks freed themselves by placing pressure on whites to do so.

How Blacks Freed Themselves from Slavery

Who should get the most credit for ending slavery in America and Great Britain? A landmark new book argues that blacks did far more for their own emancipation than previously appreciated.

Eric Herschthal

Jul. 12, 2017

Until the 1830s, free blacks were barred from most abolitionist societies. But that has not stopped Davis from emphasizing their centrality to the abolition movement, beginning when it got off the ground in the 1780s. Free blacks combated claims of their inferiority when they became eloquent spokespeople for themselves, as in the case of Phillis Wheatley’s poetry from the revolutionary era.

In 1804, enslaved Haitians succeeded in beating back the French, British, and Spanish empires to establish the world’s first black republic. Haiti’s existence represents “the turning point” for the antislavery movement, Davis writes, raising the previously unthinkable prospect of immediate emancipation into a full-fledged reality. Until Haiti, abolitionists focused on either gradual emancipation, or simply ending the slave trade, not slavery itself. Haiti changed that. In the short term, however, the Haitian Revolution actually slowed the official antislavery campaign. And slavery’s defenders quickly turned Haiti into an axe to bludgeon the abolitionist movement: give slaves even the slightest bit of hope, and they’ll insist on immediate freedom.

So white Americans came up with an alternative: colonization. Davis argues that the “bloodstained ghost” of Haiti—combined with a virulent racism comparatively absent in Britain—led America’s white abolitionists to favor returning slaves to Africa rather than setting them free and having them live as equals among whites. To make that idea a reality, the American Colonization Society, founded in 1816 by a coalition of white abolitionists and Southern slave-owners, created Liberia in 1822. Northern abolitionists and Southern slave-owners may have disagreed over the morality of slavery, but what united them, Davis argues, is racism.

The problem was that blacks did not want to go. The “militant reaction against colonization, initiated by blacks themselves,” Davis writes, “gave a distinctive stamp to American abolitionism.” Initially, however, some free blacks were open to the idea, in part because they thought another black republic might bring dignity to their race, and in part because they knew racism in America was only getting worse. But the scene Davis paints from a free black Philadelphia church in 1817 says it all. When James Forten, one of the city’s most prominent free blacks, put up a vote of “ayes” for those in favor of colonization, he was stunned when “there was not a soul in favor of going to Africa,” as Forten wrote.

By the 1830s, it became clear that colonization was not a viable solution. If slavery was going to end, free blacks insisted that whites accept them as equal citizens—and end slavery immediately. The white abolitionist editor William Lloyd Garrison is often remembered as the most vocal proponent of immediate emancipation, but Davis reorients readers to his black backers. It was Forten’s financial support that kept Garrison’s radical abolitionist paper, The Liberator, afloat, for instance. More significantly, slave rebellions both within and beyond America’s borders, coupled with slaves’ persistent attempts to runaway, hastened the calls for immediate emancipation.

But free black Americans like Frederick Douglass ultimately forced immediate emancipation to become the only real option.

How Blacks Freed Themselves from Slavery

It would be kind of difficult to make the case that "blacks 'waited' for whites to free them" since those whites were already regularly running "night patrols" also known as "regulators" in every hamlet, whose "civic duty" was to organize and ride at night looking for escaped slaves (it was this element that infiltrated the original Ku Klux Klan when it was nothing more than a theatrical club), The presence of such a community posse sort of indicates that African slaves were already taking it upon themselves, singly or in groups, to escape to freedom. Which they were, all the way back to the first African slaves on the North American continent, who DID successfully escape. So if they were "waiting", that waiting went in reverse to 339 years in the past.
True.

Did you bother to look up the USS Constellation? The anti-slave ship we built BEFORE we were even a country?

But as early as 1819 (43 years into being a new country) we were fighting against the owning of human beings!

African Slave Trade Patrol was part of the suppression of the Atlantic slave trade between 1819 ... American Navy the incentive to increase the strength of the Africa Squadron, the ship was also fitted out and used in anti-slavery operations.
Lol! The delusion never ends.

Actually that patrol was intercepting slave shipping, not slave owning.

No you didn't here that. Especially since slavery was not voluntary, nor was it an African institution since the fight was in America.

It was black african who SOLD other black africans to the slave ship captains.

Then the captains sold those slaves around the world...not just the land that would eventually become the USA.

Have you ever stopped to thunk...without federal gov't...we can have no federal law against slavery?

I know what happened in Africa. Things did not happen as you describe.

Perhaps IM2 should visit the Congos, aka shitholes.
Don't need to. You just need to learn that whites fucked up Africa when they colonized it.
Uh...how many decades has it been since Honky left and how many billions in welfare?
Accept responsibility.
You do that. Africans don't get welfare and whites haven't left Africa.
The US sends billions to Africa every year.
The only civilized areas in Africa that produce anything worthwhile have Whites.
Now back to those Congos...

No you didn't here that. Especially since slavery was not voluntary, nor was it an African institution since the fight was in America.

Then the captains sold those slaves around the world...not just the land that would eventually become the USA.

Have you ever stopped to thunk...without federal gov't...we can have no federal law against slavery?

You sir...ARE A LIAR!

disingenuous
adjective

dis·in·gen·u·ous | \ ˌdis-in-ˈjen-yə-wəs , -yü-əs \
Definition of disingenuous

: lacking in candor also : giving a false appearance of simple frankness

Don't need to. You just need to learn that whites fucked up Africa when they colonized it.
Uh...how many decades has it been since Honky left and how many billions in welfare?
Accept responsibility.
The only civilized areas in Africa that produce anything worthwhile have Whites.
The US steals billions every year from Africa.

Africa-tax-evasion.jpg

upload_2020-1-5_22-12-34.png

How the U.S. Makes Corruption in Africa Worse

Debunking white racist lies is always a happy thing.

Yes using rich white far left elite propaganda!
No, using non racist whites as an example to shut up the dumb asses talking about me hating all white people or blaming all white people for racism. You punk motherfuckers would whine even harder if I only used blacks. The fact is that you want to dish it out and you think everybody else just has to take it. Wrong answer.

Not my fault you allow the white rich far left elite control your thoughts!

Then again when will condemn those that sold so many into slavery in the African nation, which is still happening!

You sir...ARE A LIAR!
Nope.
Africans started to fight the transatlantic slave trade as soon as it began. Their struggles were multifaceted and covered four continents over four centuries. Still, they have often been underestimated, overlooked, or forgotten. African resistance was reported in European sources only when it concerned attacks on slave ships and company barracoons, but acts of resistance also took place far from the coast and thus escaped the slavers’ attention. To discover them, oral history, archaeology, and autobiographies and biographies of African victims of the slave trade have to be probed. Taken together, these various sources offer a detailed image of the varied strategies Africans used to defend themselves from and mount attacks against the slave trade.

The Africans’ resistance continued in the Americas. They ran away, established maroon communities, used sabotage, conspired, and rose against those who held them in captivity. Freed people petitioned the authorities, led information campaigns, and worked actively to abolish the slave trade and slavery.

In Europe, black abolitionists launched or participated in civic movements to end the deportation and enslavement of Africans. They too delivered speeches, provided information, wrote newspaper articles and books.

Using violent as well as nonviolent means, Africans in Africa, the Americas, and Europe were constantly involved in the fight against the slave trade and slavery.

African Resistance - The Abolition of The Slave Trade

No, using non racist whites as an example to shut up the dumb asses talking about me hating all white people or blaming all white people for racism. You punk motherfuckers would whine even harder if I only used blacks. The fact is that you want to dish it out and you think everybody else just has to take it. Wrong answer.

Then again when will condemn those that sold so many into slavery in the African nation, which is still happening!
The rich white liar controls nothing. That's why I oppose the rich white liars racism of those like you.

And you can just drop your disingenuous bs about Africans in slavery now. I won't be derailed, especially when white nations are involved in the modern slave trade also.

The rich white liar controls nothing. That's why I oppose the rich white liars racism of those like you.

And you can just drop your disingenuous bs about Africans in slavery now. I won't be derailed, especially when white nations are involved in the modern slave trade also.

Yes I know denying reality may help your propaganda, but does nothing to bring an end to slavery on the African continent!

Africa is again the world’s epicenter of modern-day slavery

Sorry to defeat your white rich far left propaganda with actual facts!

Accept responsibility.

Africa-tax-evasion.jpg

View attachment 298614

Somebody's gotta put those resources to use. So African's in America are American's also, but they aren't to blame are they ???? You crack me up. Keep it going. Rotflmbo.

Accept responsibility.

Africa-tax-evasion.jpg

View attachment 298614

Somebody's gotta put those resources to use. So African's in America are American's also, but they aren't to blame are they ???? You crack me up. Keep it going. Rotflmbo.
The we will try turning your comments around on you doesn't work when the evidence you are arguing against is documented. You crack me up. Keep it going. Rotflmbo.

Accept responsibility.

Africa-tax-evasion.jpg

View attachment 298614

The we will try turning your comments around on you doesn't work when the evidence you are arguing against is documented. You crack me up. Keep it going. Rotflmbo.
So American blacks are somehow exempt from your blame game's in the world eh ??? Of course they are right ?

Yes I know denying reality may help your propaganda, but does nothing to bring an end to slavery on the African continent!

Africa is again the world’s epicenter of modern-day slavery

Sorry to defeat your white rich far left propaganda with actual facts!

The problem with your argument is that we are talking about slavery in America. What you are doing is a common white racist tactic. If slavery in Africa offends your white ass so much then have the white corporations divest in those slave holding countries. But since this thread was made to debunk a common racist lie told here at USMB, you're posting off topic.

Forum List

Back