Andrew Jackson on Judicial Supremacy

But that does not make it law is the point. Tell the prosecuting attorney in a case today you are going to do it and you will be placed under bond immediately or dismissed.

Too bad.

All that proves is that the state disapproves of jury nullification. But of course it's legal and there is no way to stop it. Can you name a single time anyone has been imprisoned for jury nullification?

[.

The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution, ]

Yes indeed. It says UNDER this constitution not CONCERNING this constitution. No where does the C say who has the authority to interpret it. THINK

But that does not make it law is the point. Tell the prosecuting attorney in a case today you are going to do it and you will be placed under bond immediately or dismissed.

Too bad.

All that proves is that the state disapproves of jury nullification. But of course it's legal and there is no way to stop it. Can you name a single time anyone has been imprisoned for jury nullification?

No, it is not. If the judge can prove that a jury nullification took place, he can sanction the jurors and require a new jury. Your question adds nothing and need not be answered.

No, it is not. If the judge can prove that a jury nullification took place, he can sanction the jurors and require a new jury. Your question adds nothing and need not be answered.[/QUOTE]

No, a jury can freely admit (after the verdict) that they performed Jury Nullification. A judge can NEVER overturn a Not Guilty verdict, due to double jeopardy.

A judge may overturn a GUILTY verdict (non obstante verdictum) under extreme circumstances to be appealed to a higher Court, but NEVER a Not Guilty verdict.

No, it is not. If the judge can prove that a jury nullification took place, he can sanction the jurors and require a new jury. Your question adds nothing and need not be answered.

No, a jury can freely admit (after the verdict) that they performed Jury Nullification. A judge can NEVER overturn a Not Guilty verdict, due to double jeopardy.

A judge may overturn a GUILTY verdict (non obstante verdictum) under extreme circumstances to be appealed to a higher Court, but NEVER a Not Guilty verdict.[/QUOTE]

That's your opinion. Evidence, please.

[.

The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution, ]

Yes indeed. It says UNDER this constitution not CONCERNING this constitution. No where does the C say who has the authority to interpret it. THINK

Yes, ShootSpeeders, you need to read Article III and think.

ShootSpeeders, the Courts themselves also possess the power of judicial review. Jury Nullification is intended as a "last resort" because not even the Supreme Court can overturn a Not Guilty verdict. Article III clearly expresses this power, also, if the Courts are not to interpret the Constitution (in Cases where there exists no Jury), than who is?

Jury Nullification does not set a precedent. A Court does.

-------------------------------
The real reason over government has been favored by the Courts is because of Sovereign Immunity. Here is what my organization wrote to the Supreme Court two days ago concerning Sovereign Immunity:

Finally, I would like to conclude with what I consider to be the Great Evils, those things that have distorted the Rule of Law in America, the land where the Law is King.

Without a doubt, the very first of these is Sovereign Immunity. The inability of citizens to sue their government in Court is a direct violation of the First Amendment, as it prohibits citizens the right to petition the Government a redress of grievances (through the courts), giving the State an unfair advantage, as only the State can press charges.

The State will only prosecute when it believes it will win, and it will never consent to be sued when it believes it will lose; thus it is no surprise that power has been transferred away from the people to the Government over time.

A judge may overturn a GUILTY verdict (non obstante verdictum) under extreme circumstances to be appealed to a higher Court, but NEVER a Not Guilty verdict.

How about you google it? Do your own research for once. You will find that a Not Guilty verdict can NEVER be overturned, unless the judge can prove that the Jury was bribed or threatened or corrupted by some other outside force.

[

ShootSpeeders, the Courts themselves also possess the power of judicial review. Jury Nullification is intended as a "last resort" because not even the Supreme Court can overturn a Not Guilty verdict. Article III clearly expresses this power, also, if the Courts are not to interpret the Constitution (in Cases where there exists no Jury), than who is?

Jury Nullification does not set a precedent. A Court does.

WTF are you talking about.? Jury nullification and judicial review are two separate things. Stop confusing the two.

ShootSpeeders and The2ndAmendment have completely shot themselves in their collective foot.

Time for them to move on to other threads.

[.

Like I said, a legal scholar you're not.

The SCOTUS not only has the right to interpret the Constitution, it has the obligation to do so, too.

?
I thought double jeopardy was quite clear. The reason that the jury gives for a not guilty is meaningless. I don’t care if they said that he was white and white people never commit crimes. Does not matter. Not guilty is not guilty. This is of course different than if jury tampering was committed but that is another case.

It is different with a guilty verdict. The old addendum ‘it is better to let a 100 guilty men go free than unjustly imprison one’ seems to be the core of law.

Can a lawyer here weigh in on this? Do you have evidence that he and I are incorrect here?

Note: I don’t care about the onus of proof here. I am aware that it was his claim and that the claimant needs to prove the claim. I am genuinely interested in the answer and would like to see something backing the idea that a jury’s not guilty verdict can be overturned (in a criminal case BTW, not civil) and I ask for proof genuinely.

It cracks me up when people who prove they are -- at best -- only modestly literate try to show us their chops as constitutional scholars.

Let's see if 2nd has the evidence.

The evidence is the Fifth Amendment you piece of shit. Read it.

The Double Jeopardy Clause of the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides: "[N]or shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb . . . ."[1] The four essential protections included are prohibitions against, for the same offense:

retrial after an acquittal;
retrial after a conviction;
retrial after certain mistrials; and
multiple punishment

Jeopardy attaches in jury trial when the jury is empaneled and sworn in, in a bench trial when the court begins to hear evidence after the first witness is sworn in, or when a court accepts a defendant's plea unconditionally.[2] Jeopardy does not attach in a retrial of a conviction that was reversed on appeal, in a retrial for which "manifest necessity" has been shown following a mistrial, and in the seating of a second grand jury if the first refuses to return an indictment.

EDIT:
Your third flame thread, enjoy:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-f...e-double-jeopardy-clause-fifth-amendment.html

Last edited:
I was addressing you, 2nd, not the amendment.

And, no, your opinion has been contravened by the various court rulings above.

Your opinion, podjo, is not law.

[
The SCOTUS not only has the right to interpret the Constitution, it has the obligation to do so, too.

And so do the executive and legislative branches.. They also took an oath to uphold the constitution.

I was addressing you, 2nd, not the amendment.

And, no, your opinion has been contravened by the various court rulings above.

Your opinion, podjo, is not law.

Court rulings don't settle anything. Nowhere does the constitution say the scotus has final say on the issues. The idea is absurd, since they are UNELECTED. Get your butt outta your head.

Umm. . . you lead by example with your head up your ass. Your opinion is not law, podjo. Just saying.

Forum List

Back