CDZ An open letter to Mark Zuckerberg

An open letter to Mark Zuckerberg from the parents of a Sandy Hook victim

Dear Mr Zuckerberg,

Our names are Lenny Pozner and Veronique De La Rosa. We are the parents of Noah, who on 14 December, 2012, at the age of six, was gunned down in his classroom at Sandy Hook elementary school. Since that day, we, as well as the parents, family, and friends of the 25 other victims, have been embroiled in a constant battle with social media providers, including Facebook, to protect us from harassment and threats.

Almost immediately after the massacre of 20 little children, all under the age of seven, and six elementary school teachers and staff, the attacks on us began. Conspiracy groups and anti-government provocateurs began making claims on Facebook that the massacre was a hoax, that the murdered were so-called “crisis actors” and that their audience should rise up to “find out the truth” about our families. These claims and calls to action spread across Facebook like wildfire and, despite our pleas, were protected by Facebook.

I cant imagine anything worse than losing your child. Apart from being told that it didnt happen.

Is this a free speech issue ?

I dont believe it is. I think that victims are entitled to some protection. The cranks that believe these things are free to think whatever crap they believe in and set up their own platforms to share their poison.
That is freedom of speech.

I think that facebook should spend some of its profits to protect the victims of slaughter.
Stay off of social media....

Simple as that.
Why should they have to ? Social media is an integral part of our lives these days.

Dear Mr Zuckerberg,

Our names are Lenny Pozner and Veronique De La Rosa. We are the parents of Noah, who on 14 December, 2012, at the age of six, was gunned down in his classroom at Sandy Hook elementary school. Since that day, we, as well as the parents, family, and friends of the 25 other victims, have been embroiled in a constant battle with social media providers, including Facebook, to protect us from harassment and threats.

Almost immediately after the massacre of 20 little children, all under the age of seven, and six elementary school teachers and staff, the attacks on us began. Conspiracy groups and anti-government provocateurs began making claims on Facebook that the massacre was a hoax, that the murdered were so-called “crisis actors” and that their audience should rise up to “find out the truth” about our families. These claims and calls to action spread across Facebook like wildfire and, despite our pleas, were protected by Facebook.

I cant imagine anything worse than losing your child. Apart from being told that it didnt happen.

I dont believe it is. I think that victims are entitled to some protection. The cranks that believe these things are free to think whatever crap they believe in and set up their own platforms to share their poison.

I think that facebook should spend some of its profits to protect the victims of slaughter.

Simple as that.
Why should they have to ? Social media is an integral part of our lives these days.
Not everyone's.

If it bothers them this much then maybe they should try a hobby. Mow the lawn. Go for a walk. Watch a movie. Read a friggen book.

Dear Mr Zuckerberg,

Simple as that.
Not everyone's.

If it bothers them this much then maybe they should try a hobby. Mow the lawn. Go for a walk. Watch a movie. Read a friggen book.
Or play with their kids ?

Dear Mr Zuckerberg,

Simple as that.
Not everyone's.

Seems to me you are pretty selective over who's kids matter.

Dear Mr Zuckerberg,

As long as democrats favor criminals, kids will die.

Dear Mr Zuckerberg,

As long as democrats favor criminals, kids will die.

Please explain further sir or madam.

Dear Mr Zuckerberg,

Simple as that.
Not mine. I have no facebook, no instagram, no snapchat. This forum is as "social" as it gets for me online. It CAN be done, and live a full and fulfilled life. I don't really give a damn what is being posted on any of those sites, it affects my life zero, it has become a cesspool of garbage. I saw it for what it was when they started, a fad, a way for everyone to feel like they are "famous". People need to get a grip, no one cares what you are doing, what you ate for dinner last night, or what home "improvements" you are doing, except for people in your life that know anyway, and criminals.

Dear Mr Zuckerberg,

Simple as that.
Not mine. I have no facebook, no instagram, no snapchat. This forum is as "social" as it gets for me online. It CAN be done, and live a full and fulfilled life. I don't really give a damn what is being posted on any of those sites, it affects my life zero, it has become a cesspool of garbage. I saw it for what it was when they started, a fad, a way for everyone to feel like they are "famous". People need to get a grip, no one cares what you are doing, what you ate for dinner last night, or what home "improvements" you are doing, except for people in your life that know anyway, and criminals.

But that is your choice. You have that choice. These victims are being driven from these places whether they like it or not.

Dear Mr Zuckerberg,

Simple as that.

But that is your choice. You have that choice. These victims are being driven from these places whether they like it or not.
As am I. There are places that I choose not to go (like Facebook) for the simple fact that the costs far outweigh the potential benefits. For example, The Hamptons, the costs to go there would simply be too high. Another example, perhaps more relevant, would be Somalia. I see no real benefit of going there, yet the costs (airfare, lodging, threats of violence, etc.) are high, so I don't go. That's life. I would love to see certain parts of the world, but will elect to spend my resources elsewhere because a rudimentary cost-benefit analysis shows that the costs are simply too high.

Same is true of Facebook. If the costs (privacy, emotional, mental, etc.) are too high to offset the potential benefits, it's a poor investment of your resources.

Well I can only see todays welcome announcements as a victory for USMB and myself as an opinion former. Well dont Mr Zuckerburg.

Dear Mr Zuckerberg,

Protect them how exactly?

Dear Mr Zuckerberg,

Unfortunately I think it is free speech.

Its a shame we can't effectively fly the "hoaxers" out to meet the families and see the bodies somehow. I share your aggravation but think we'll need to get original to set the hoaxers straight on this one.

"In order to protect ourselves and our surviving children, we have had to relocate numerous times. These groups use social media, including Facebook, to 'hunt' us, posting our home address and videos of our house online."

I just dont see free speech tied to providing a platform for this sort of poison. Its not a political issue , or partisan in any way. Its about sick people,who need help, persecuting victims because of the voices in their heads.

Who is standing up for the victims in all of this ?
You can’t stop people believing in hoaxes etc and talking/writing about them, at least not in America, not yet.

These people realize that they don’t have to advertise themselves on Fakebook, don’t they? It’s a pretty simple solution... How stupid are they? If they think people are stalking them through their use of Fakebook,”Quit using it!”
Why should they have to hide away just because their kid was slaughtered?
Nobody said the ‘have to hide away because their kid was slaughtered’.
Please stop constantly lying about what others have said. This is the CDZ and it’s your OP.
The point is if people are going to discuss their personal tragedies online, there are ALWAYS going to people who say stuff that upsets them.

There are also many other issues that provoke responses that cause upset too.
You can’t police every possible offencive view, nor should you want to.

Some people believe in conspiracy theories, just as some people believe in gods, and they are allowed to talk about their beliefs.

Last edited:
It isn't a like or dislike issue. There are huge amounts of crap I don't like but I wouldn't call for a ban of any sort.

This is more a matter of common decency.

These people lost their kids and are now being assaulted by crazy wicked people.

If they had been kidnapped and tortured in a cave the bad guys would be locked up.I don't see the difference between physical and mental torture.
Kidnapped people can’t log off Facebook and problem solved.
Your analogy is ridiculous.

Dear Mr Zuckerberg,

Simple as that.
Not everyone's.

Seems to me you are pretty selective over who's kids matter.
BINGO,!!

Dear Mr Zuckerberg,

Simple as that.
Actually no it isn’t an integral part of ‘our lives now’.
You do know that many more people DONT use fb than do, right?
People can and do survive just fine without it.

Forum List

Back