An ignorant Yank asks for a textbook explanation of parliamentary government.

Supposn

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2009
An ignorant Yank asks for primer textbook explanation of parliamentary government.
What questions identify questions of confidence for a current parliamentary government?

Surely the prime minister is not bound to call for a national general election whenever any vote in parliament is contrary to the prime minister's preference? What determines if a question brought up for a vote is a question determining prime minister and their cabinet's ministers entitlements to remain in office? It's not entirely determined by the prime minister?

how does a majority member's or any member's bill reach the floor for a vote, if the prime-minister's opposed to it being voted upon?
Every majority proposed bill can't be a deal-breaker? What determines what bill constitutes cause for a prime minister to resign and or call for a general election?

Can any member propose a vote of no-confidence in any other member which includes the prime minister)? Does such a bill reach the floor in a different manner?

Respectfully, Supposn

Parliamentary government illustrated ...

mad-hatters-LST274856.jpg

We Yanks don't need to know more about Parliamentary Government. All we need to know is that we got rid of it, and will do so again when it comes around.

It's the result of barons and earls fighting back against the unquestion power of King John. They gained a seat at the table through the Magna Carta.

Adding the common people came later.

My questions regard particular facets of foreign governments' parliamentary rules.
I do appreciate the humorous responses. But If anyone's actually knowledgeable on this subject, please pass that information on to all of us.
Respectfully, Supposn

An ignorant Yank asks for primer textbook explanation of parliamentary government.
What questions identify questions of confidence for a current parliamentary government?

Surely the prime minister is not bound to call for a national general election whenever any vote in parliament is contrary to the prime minister's preference? What determines if a question brought up for a vote is a question determining prime minister and their cabinet's ministers entitlements to remain in office? It's not entirely determined by the prime minister?

how does a majority member's or any member's bill reach the floor for a vote, if the prime-minister's opposed to it being voted upon?
Every majority proposed bill can't be a deal-breaker? What determines what bill constitutes cause for a prime minister to resign and or call for a general election?

Can any member propose a vote of no-confidence in any other member which includes the prime minister)? Does such a bill reach the floor in a different manner?

Respectfully, Supposn
It's quite a long process but here's a link to how it's done Legislative process: taking a Bill through Parliament
Hope that answers your question(s) :)

It's quite a long process but here's a link to how it's done Legislative process: taking a Bill through Parliament
Vagabond63, thank you for the link.

What I wish to understand is the process for a vote of confidence to a member or to the Prime Minister's party. How general elections are forced upon the nation (other than the required maximum duration permitted between general elections)?

In the USA, the majority leader of the House of Representatives, (i.e. the Speaker of the House) and the Senate and each generally can prevent any particular proposal from reaching the floor of their respective chambers and voted upon. Does the Prime Minister have similar powers within the Parliament?

Respectfully, Supposn

What I wish to understand is the process for a vote of confidence to a member or to the Prime Minister's party. How general elections are forced upon the nation (other than the required maximum duration permitted between general elections)?

In the USA, the majority leader of the House of Representatives, (i.e. the Speaker of the House) and the Senate and each generally can prevent any particular proposal from reaching the floor of their respective chambers and voted upon. Does the Prime Minister have similar powers within the Parliament?

Respectfully, Supposn

A motion of no confidence, or censure motion, can be brought before the house by any MP from any party, although it's normally the Leader of the largest opposition party. If such a motion gets a majority of MPs to agree to it, the proposer has 14 calendar days to form a new government that has the support of a majority of MPs. If that's not possible, Parliament is dissolved and an early General Election is triggered

A motion of no confidence is one of only two ways in which an early General Election may be triggered under the terms of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011, the other is a 2/3 majority of MPs demanding a General Election.

Respectfully, Supposn

A motion of no confidence, or censure motion, can be brought before the house by any MP from any party, although it's normally the Leader of the largest opposition party. If such a motion gets a majority of MPs to agree to it, the proposer has 14 calendar days to form a new government that has the support of a majority of MPs. If that's not possible, Parliament is dissolved and an early General Election is triggered

A motion of no confidence is one of only two ways in which an early General Election may be triggered under the terms of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011, the other is a 2/3 majority of MPs demanding a General Election.
Vagabond63, you've clearly provided me with answers that I have not received from anyone before.
I'm grateful for the information. Respectfully, Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn

Vagabond63, you've clearly provided me with answers that I have not received from anyone before.
I'm grateful for the information. Respectfully, Supposn
Happy to help, as you would say.

Vagabond63, the leaders of USA's two legislative chambers are the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, and the majority leader of the Senate, Mitch McConnell. I suppose they each can refrain, if not effectively prevent a question from coming to a vote on the floor of their respective chambers.
Does the Prime Minister or anyone else have such similar power in parliament?

Respectfully, Supposn

Vagabond63, thank you for the link. ...
Vagabond63 and any other of this forum's participants,
Votto and AsherN, I’ve been referred to this, UK Parliament link, which further led me to these links: First reading (Commons) - UK Parliament , Second reading (Commons) - UK Parliament , Committee stage (Commons) - UK Parliament , and Report stage (Commons) - UK Parliament .

These are the questions that occurred to me after I was referred to the link, UK Parliaments, UK and its regions. I suppose there are many similarities between United kingdom’s and other parliaments. Can you or other participants within this forum please help me understand your parliamentary systems.

At the end of the [House of Commons second reading] debate, the Commons decides whether the Bill should be given its second reading by voting, meaning it can proceed to the next stage.

[If the bill passes the house’s 2nd reading, it’s passed on to a committee?

How is the proper committee for each bill chosen? How are memberships of the committees’ chosen?

May the committee “kill” a bill and prevent it to be subject to a 3d reading by the house, or must they return the bill to the house along with the committee’s analysis of the drafted bill which they had received?

Are there separate Houses of Commons for England, Great Britain, Northern Ireland, and the UK, or all MPs may participate in those regions’ entire governments and are there are separate sessions for each of them which occur in the same physical chamber of the same building?
Respectfully, Supposn

Vagabond63, thank you for the link. ...
Vagabond63 and any other of this forum's participants,
Votto and AsherN, I’ve been referred to this, UK Parliament link, which further led me to these links: First reading (Commons) - UK Parliament , Second reading (Commons) - UK Parliament , Committee stage (Commons) - UK Parliament , and Report stage (Commons) - UK Parliament .

These are the questions that occurred to me after I was referred to the link, UK Parliaments, UK and its regions. I suppose there are many similarities between United kingdom’s and other parliaments. Can you or other participants within this forum please help me understand your parliamentary systems.

At the end of the [House of Commons second reading] debate, the Commons decides whether the Bill should be given its second reading by voting, meaning it can proceed to the next stage.

[If the bill passes the house’s 2nd reading, it’s passed on to a committee?

How is the proper committee for each bill chosen? How are memberships of the committees’ chosen?

May the committee “kill” a bill and prevent it to be subject to a 3d reading by the house, or must they return the bill to the house along with the committee’s analysis of the drafted bill which they had received?

Are there separate Houses of Commons for England, Great Britain, Northern Ireland, and the UK, or all MPs may participate in those regions’ entire governments and are there are separate sessions for each of them which occur in the same physical chamber of the same building?
Respectfully, Supposn
Sorry, my time is limited at the moment but this link should answer some of your questions General Committees

Vagabond63, the leaders of USA's two legislative chambers are the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, and the majority leader of the Senate, Mitch McConnell. I suppose they each can refrain, if not effectively prevent a question from coming to a vote on the floor of their respective chambers.
Does the Prime Minister or anyone else have such similar power in parliament?

Respectfully, Supposn
Not sure I understand you, what do you mean by "question"?

Not sure I understand you, what do you mean by "question"?
Vagabond63, I suppose the Majority part leaders of the two U.S. Congressional chambers, Nancy Pelosi the Speaker of the House, and Charles Schumer, the leader of U.S. Senate’s Democrats, may effectively prevent a bill regarding any topic from ever reaching the floors of their respective chambers to be subject to the entire membership as a bill for considered to be passed by the U.S. Congress as a proposed federal law.

Does the prime minister or other MP have similar powers in Great Britain’s parliament? Respectfully, Supposn

Forum List

Back