Amid Bay Area housing crisis, tiny bunk bed 'pods' offered for $800 a month

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Startup offers $800-a-month bunk bed 'pods' in Bay Area home

1200x0.jpg

wo four-foot tall pods are stacked high, four wide, in the Palo Alto home.Brownstone Shared Housing

For $800 a month you could live in a tiny bunk bed-style pod with 13 other roommates in the Bay Area.

Eight-month-old startup Brownstone Shared Housing has come under the spotlight this week after an Insider profile on the company revealed what it looks like inside the Palo Alto home with 14 tenants each living in a "pod."

While the $800-a-month rent may seem steep for a stacked bunk bed pod, the average rental rate for a studio apartment near Stanford University, where the pod-home sits, is currently around $2,400.

Co-founder Christina Lennox has lived in a pod herself for the past year. "The wood kind of allows for relaxation, rather than like going inside of this futuristic-looking plastic object," Lennox told Insider. "It has, like, definitely a different feel — I would say that it's more calming and soothing for people."

I remember when we poked fun at the Chi-Coms and Japs for doing the same thing.

Startup offers $800-a-month bunk bed 'pods' in Bay Area home

1200x0.jpg

wo four-foot tall pods are stacked high, four wide, in the Palo Alto home.Brownstone Shared Housing

For $800 a month you could live in a tiny bunk bed-style pod with 13 other roommates in the Bay Area.

Eight-month-old startup Brownstone Shared Housing has come under the spotlight this week after an Insider profile on the company revealed what it looks like inside the Palo Alto home with 14 tenants each living in a "pod."

While the $800-a-month rent may seem steep for a stacked bunk bed pod, the average rental rate for a studio apartment near Stanford University, where the pod-home sits, is currently around $2,400.

Co-founder Christina Lennox has lived in a pod herself for the past year. "The wood kind of allows for relaxation, rather than like going inside of this futuristic-looking plastic object," Lennox told Insider. "It has, like, definitely a different feel — I would say that it's more calming and soothing for people."

I remember when we poked fun at the Chi-Coms and Japs for doing the same thing.

Far better to just find two friends and for the same money, the three of you split the cost of a real apartment in the same area!

My daughter's boyfriend had this same idea, had even gotten funding and found a warehouse to lease in the LA area and update and then COVID hit and he had not yet spent any of the funding and gave it all back.

Seems someone else has taken the idea and ran with it

My daughter's boyfriend had this same idea, had even gotten funding and found a warehouse to lease in the LA area and update and then COVID hit and he had not yet spent any of the funding and gave it all back.

I wonder if they have something like a "house mother" to make sure it's kept clean and such?

Eventually, they will put human waste containers in SF and other large/small cities for the homeless to dump their poop...but will have a dollar insertion slot so they have to PAY to dispose of their shit. Any guesses on how much that will cost the people needing or wanting to use it instead of crapping all over town?

See? I used 3 terms for EXCREMENT.

Eventually, they will put human waste containers in SF and other large/small cities for the homeless to dump their poop...but will have a dollar insertion slot so they have to PAY to dispose of their shit. Any guesses on how much that will cost the people needing or wanting to use it instead of crapping all over town?

See? I used 3 terms for EXCREMENT.
I understand pay toilets are going to make a comeback due to the ever increasing cost to maintain them.

Why is housing do much more expensive in SF?

Its because of liberal thinking that promotes a low standard of living

I wonder if they have something like a "house mother" to make sure it's kept clean and such?
If the venture is going to last, discipline will be kept. There's an asshole in EVERY setting. It's like an undiscovered law of thermodynamics ;)

Why I call the DNC locusts. With Covid they even screwed up costs in the deep South.

They only know how to destroy shit. Including a unborn child. They are barbarians. My new word for them til I find something better.

They did not even spring for a decent mattress. They look like convict mattresses.

Might be memory foam-in that case, they don't have to be thick. Then again, they might be props put there for photos, and the renters will supply their own.

Why is housing do much more expensive in SF?

Its because of liberal thinking that promotes a low standard of living

In an acronym: NIMBY.

Isn't SF giving a certain number of "homeless" 1K a month.....If those assholes roll up in there I suspect it would become a mess in short order.
Are they still keeping homeless addicts in fine hotels? If not, how did they pry them out of those luxury living spaces in which they were provided free drugs, alcohol, and tobacco?

Forum List

Back