Altering Quotes

why don't we draw guns? More fair.
Fixed it for you

$bear-gun-demotivational-poster.jpg

what are infraction points and what do they add up to, etc.

Infraction points are like putting your name on the chalkboard. Once you have 10 infraction points, the system automatically bans you. I usually go in and remove them after 3 days, or whatever I decide is commensurate to the crime.

Do they go on our permanent record? Or is there a reset after each ban?

And when did the banning start with this system? Used to be a Mod or Adm would come to your house and spank you...

Infraction points are like putting your name on the chalkboard. Once you have 10 infraction points, the system automatically bans you. I usually go in and remove them after 3 days, or whatever I decide is commensurate to the crime.

And when did the banning start with this system? Used to be a Mod or Adm would come to your house and spank you...

they stopped that? :doubt:

Chalkboards are so 70's.
Whiteboards are where it's now.

Chalkboards used to be called blackboards, but that was racist, it's only a matter of time until whiteboards are racist.

From this point forward, since some want to abuse it, and others want to whine all over my PM box about it, altering quotes from other members will no longer be allowed until further notice.

If you do so, you will be warned the first time. Each time thereafter will result in a 1 point infraction.

Once again, you can thank the minority for the majority not being able to have nice things, that in context can be fun.

Can you go into a little more depth on what isn't acceptable? I'd rather not get reported by a whiny bitch on this board because I did something incorrect. :lol:

I think it's pretty cut and dried. For the time being, no altering anyone else's posts after quoting them to misrepresent what they posted.

It was okay when people did it and made note of what they did (with something like "fixed that for you" or any other notation that the quote had been altered), but apparently that doesn't seem to be quite good enough so for the time being, it's a no-no. I'll look at again down the line and decide whether or not I can ease back off of it.

Parodying someone's userID is of course, still okay. At least for now. That'll depend on how many teardrops I get in my PM box as well.:eusa_eh:

Odd. I liked the quote alteration gimmick PROVIDED that it was properly NOTED, as was the Board custom, with a simple "fixed that for you."

Oh well.

Once again, you can thank the minority for the majority not being able to have nice things, that in context can be fun.

Gunny, will this include minor editorial changes like quoting

'why is it those lying, moronic, mentally retarded, right-wing, leftist, racist, kkk-loving...(so on and so forth) asses can't find anything better than that ****'

as

'why can't [the Democrats] find anyone better than [sotomayor]', or using similar recognized editorial comments to clarify context (possibly in red text to differentiate?)

or will it only apply instances intended to change to meaning of the referenced material in some dishonest, trollish, or childish manner?

I ask because the first can be a huge asset to intelligent discussion at times and I'd hate to see that tool lost because some tools abuse the ability and refuse to make a simple notation.

seriously, though... can we get clarification on this?

I think it's pretty cut and dried. For the time being, no altering anyone else's posts after quoting them to misrepresent what they posted.
(emphasis added)

So... the stuff above is okay?

Last edited:
From this point forward, since some want to abuse it, and others want to whine all over my PM box about it, altering quotes from other members will no longer be allowed until further notice.

If you do so, you will be warned the first time. Each time thereafter will result in a 1 point infraction.

Can you go into a little more depth on what isn't acceptable? I'd rather not get reported by a whiny bitch on this board because I did something incorrect. :lol:

It was okay when people did it and made note of what they did (with something like "fixed that for you" or any other notation that the quote had been altered), but apparently that doesn't seem to be quite good enough so for the time being, it's a no-no. I'll look at again down the line and decide whether or not I can ease back off of it.

Parodying someone's userID is of course, still okay. At least for now. That'll depend on how many teardrops I get in my PM box as well.:eusa_eh:

When you get enough, I have a plant that needs watering out front.

Chalkboards are so 70's.

Chalkboards used to be called blackboards, but that was racist, it's only a matter of time until whiteboards are racist.

Actually smartboards are where it's at now. :lol:

Odd. I liked the quote alteration gimmick PROVIDED that it was properly NOTED, as was the Board custom, with a simple "fixed that for you."

Oh well.

'why is it those lying, moronic, mentally retarded, right-wing, leftist, racist, kkk-loving...(so on and so forth) asses can't find anything better than that ****'

as

'why can't [the Democrats] find anyone better than [sotomayor]', or using similar recognized editorial comments to clarify context (possibly in red text to differentiate?)

or will it only apply instances intended to change to meaning of the referenced material in some dishonest, trollish, or childish manner?

I ask because the first can be a huge asset to intelligent discussion at times and I'd hate to see that tool lost because some tools abuse the ability and refuse to make a simple notation.

For the time being, no altering the words posted by other members as quotes. You of course may still editorialize, you'll just have to work a bit harder at it. I'm sure if ANYONE can find a way, it's you.:lol:

oops

Oh well.

as

seriously, though... can we get clarification on this?

(emphasis added)

So... the stuff above is okay?

That's a was okay. For the time being, no. As I said, When we can get back to ground zero on this I'll revisit it.

They're trying to discourage bad behavior, not encourage it.:lol:

Chalkboards are so 70's.

:eusa_eh:

I graduated in 77 if that clears it up for you any.:lol:

Buttholes.

Since you didn't quote his entire post, that means you altered it.
You'll probably get a warning now.

Heheheh...

I only quoted that to which I wished to reply. Saving space and bandwidth, I was thinking of the overall welfare of the board, you see...

Well, I agree with you on that. I usually only quote what I'm responding to cause I hate scrolling through a thread where someone has written a book and everyone else has quoted it to reply. I consider it ommission rather than alteration. So far I've only had one poster whine that I didn't quote ALL his post and as it was the board's favorite Union cheerleader I considered the source and overlooked it.

Chalkboards are so 70's.

They're called 'dry-erase boards', now

The infraction system has always auto-banned after 10 points, as far as I know. It's just used so infrequently, most people don't know that.

For most things, we still use the personal touch.:badgrin:

Something like this Gunny?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc9zF8G2Pvc&feature=related]YouTube - Scene from the Untouchables[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back