♫ All You Need Is Dove ♫

Bob Blaylock

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2015
38°29′ North 121°26′ West
New family member. Ever since my previous dove, Ava, passed away last October, it's felt painfully like there was a dove-shaped hole in my life. The Bird Shop didn't get enough doves during the usual season for all the customers that they had waiting for them, so I missed out then, and had resolved myself to remaining doveless until next Spring, but one of their breeders just came through with an out-of-season batch of white doves.

She's kind of stressed, right now, which is understandable, given that in this day, she's been transported from the breeder to the store, and then stapled into a paper bag for the ride from the store to a new home that is unfamiliar to her.

Some time after she has become more used to her new home, and more comfortable, I'll take her out and take better pictures of her.

She does need a name. My wife has already vetoed “Ava 2.0” or any reference to her predecessor, and anything that she thinks might be too cliché for a white dove.

ZSC_1028_1600x1280.jpg

ZSC_1029_1000x1280.jpg

New family member. Ever since my previous dove, Ava, passed away last October, it's felt painfully like there was a dove-shaped hole in my life. The Bird Shop didn't get enough doves during the usual season for all the customers that they had waiting for them, so I missed out then, and had resolved myself to remaining doveless until next Spring, but one of their breeders just came through with an out-of-season batch of white doves.

She's kind of stressed, right now, which is understandable, given that in this day, she's been transported from the breeder to the store, and then stapled into a paper bag for the ride from the store to a new home that is unfamiliar to her.

Some time after she has become more used to her new home, and more comfortable, I'll take her out and take better pictures of her.

She does need a name. My wife has already vetoed “Ava 2.0” or any reference to her predecessor, and anything that she thinks might be too cliché for a white dove.

View attachment 384996

View attachment 384997
Sorry to hear about Ava, your new bird is a nice looking specimen. Since your last bird was named Ava, how about naming this new one, Gardner, or Gardie, for short? I know it's silly, but I AM a silly man. Or actually Girdie would be a better name for her. Girdie the birdie?

• Banned
Since your last bird was named Ava, how about naming this new one, Gardner…

Interestingly, that's my mother-in-law's maiden name. Seems like there should be some word/phrase that I can use to describe that as a name belonging to my wife, perhaps something like “grand-maiden name” or something like that. But it her mother's maiden name (actually a name that her mother continues to use) and the last name of her mother's father.

View attachment 384996

View attachment 384997
How about "Lovey Dovey"?

Since your last bird was named Ava, how about naming this new one, Gardner…

Interestingly, that's my mother-in-law's maiden name. Seems like there should be some word/phrase that I can use to describe that as a name belonging to my wife, perhaps something like “grand-maiden name” or something like that. But it her mother's maiden name (actually a name that her mother continues to use) and the last name of her mother's father.
That IS interesting concerning your mother-in-law. And a little eerie, as well.

Forum List

Back