All the Light We Cannot See

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
This is a great book by Anthony Doerr which became a 4 part limited series on Netflix. The book, winner of the Pulitzer Prize and a National Book Award finalist became an instant New York Times bestseller. As is often the case, the series does not do justice to the book. however, this series is heads and shoulders above most Netflix series.

Although the story takes place in WWII in occupied France, it is not so much about the war as is the interweaving of the lives of two young people, a blind French girl, and a German solider.

If you like this genre, I strongly recommend the book and if you are looking for an above average Netflix series, you might want to watch it.

This is a great book by Anthony Doerr which became a 4 part limited series on Netflix. The book, winner of the Pulitzer Prize and a National Book Award finalist became an instant New York Times bestseller. As is often the case, the series does not do justice to the book. however, this series is heads and shoulders above most Netflix series.

Although the story takes place in WWII in occupied France, it is not so much about the war as is the interweaving of the lives of two young people, a blind French girl, and a German solider.

If you like this genre, I strongly recommend the book and if you are looking for an above average Netflix series, you might want to watch it.
I loved the book. Scared to watch the movie because I don’t trust Netflix to do a good job. Maybe I will give in and watch it over the holidays.

I loved the book. Scared to watch the movie because I don’t trust Netflix to do a good job. Maybe I will give in and watch it over the holidays.
Netflix has done a better job than with many other books. However, I would be very surprised if you thought the series was as good as the book.

The literary skills of an author allow him to create beautifully scenes and characters that touch the heart and mind. To translated the authors work to film requires dozens if not hundreds of talented workers and huge amounts of money in the hands of a director who may or may not share the vision of the author.

When a movie flops compared to a book , the financial repercussions are much greater than a book flop. Therefore directors and producers will often use techniques known to satisfy audiences such as showcasing what famous actors are famous for, punishing bad guys, happy endings, etc. However, that may not fit well into the story the author is telling. As one director once said, my success is built on giving audience what they want, not what actors or scriptwriters want.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back