Alelia Murphy, a 114-year-old former seamstress recognized as the oldest living American, has died!

Damn! However will I have my skirt hemmed now?

OK, not funny. I hate the fact that the older generations are dying out. They know things we don't know, and things we'll never know.

She credited her longevity to God and "being a good person," her family said on her most recent birthday. Murphy was born in North Carolina in 1905 and moved to Manhattan at the peak of the Harlem Renaissance. Her involvement with community organizations and her church over the years made her a local icon.

Oldest living American, Alelia Murphy of New York, dies at 114 - CNN
Oh, my goodness gracious. I'm so sorry Ms. Murphy passed, but what a winner to go by the age 100 and living a full life to praise God and do good things for other people. My grandma would have been 120 this year, but we lost her at age 98. She, too, sewed a lot and kept a garden I would so love to know how to do, plus put 3 fig trees by the garage and pruned them in the fall every year. Needless to mention, we got a couple of pints of fig preserves from her every year. They didn't last very long with 5 kids in the family, but they were ripened right, and somehow the birds and squirrels never ate grandma's figs. I don't know what she did to keep them away, but she was forever tending her plants and sewing quilts for family and friends.

Forum List

Back