Airborne Lasers!

Come on people WAKE UP a 747 based anti ballistic missile defense system makes NO SENSE AT ALL!!! By the time we detect a launch we would have 3-4 MINUTES to intercept during the BOOST PHASE, you can't get a 747 AIRBORNE within 3-4 minutes!!! So understanding this FACT you recognise that for this system to have ANY chance of intercepting a ballistic missile during its BOOST PHASE the defense system would have to be "in theater" PRIOR to launch. That means HUNDREDS of 747s flying along the outer edge of Russian airspace 24/7! Does this sound like a REASONABLE defense system?

Hate to burst your bubble but this airborne laser is old news. The 747 equipped with this 40 shot chemical laser has been around for at least 10 years and has had several successful tests prior to this...but it is good news that the AF and MDA has finally decided to admit it is in fact .... reality.

Cruise missle on a cloudy day and lazy thingy no work.

What basis do you have to say that? There was nothing in there about weather being a problem.

I think you may be right, I don't know. But nothing has been said.

they have not come up with a laser yet that will shoot thru clouds worth a darn.
lasers are coherrent light, the clouds reflect and refract the light scattering it out.

The system wasn't designed to intercept cruise missiles. It was SPECIFICALLY designed to intercept ballistic missiles in the boost phase. Please try to keep up. We already have excellent anti-cruise missile systems.....

Duh!!!!

Come on people WAKE UP a 747 based anti ballistic missile defense system makes NO SENSE AT ALL!!! By the time we detect a launch we would have 3-4 MINUTES to intercept during the BOOST PHASE, you can't get a 747 AIRBORNE within 3-4 minutes!!! So understanding this FACT you recognise that for this system to have ANY chance of intercepting a ballistic missile during its BOOST PHASE the defense system would have to be "in theater" PRIOR to launch. That means HUNDREDS of 747s flying along the outer edge of Russian airspace 24/7! Does this sound like a REASONABLE defense system?

Who's saying the final platform for this weapons system will be a 747?

Tell me PP HOW will it intercept missiles in the boost phase unless it is ALREADY airborne AND within striking distance? I mean THINK about it HOW can it be useful unless it is ALREADY THERE when the Russians launch their missiles? By the way did you see how ignorant the OP is about this system? He thinks it will be used to defeat anti-aircraft missiles. LMFAO!!!

Who's saying the final platform for this weapons system will be a 747?

O.K. 737, 727, or Lear Jet what's the difference it will STILL need to be in theater BEFORE a missile launch!

Tell me PP HOW will it intercept missiles in the boost phase unless it is ALREADY airborne AND within striking distance? I mean THINK about it HOW can it be useful unless it is ALREADY THERE when the Russians launch their missiles? By the way did you see how ignorant the OP is about this system? He thinks it will be used to defeat anti-aircraft missiles. LMFAO!!!

The original intented use for this weapon was in fact to have a few of these 747's in theater to conduct flight operations during an invasion/contingency op. As a matter of fact this plane flew missions over Iraq in 2003. Agreed. This weapons system is completely useless against anti-aircraft missiles. Only an idiot would reach this conclusion from reading the article from Reuters.

Forum List

Back