Aging Russian Yuppie v. Samantha Power

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010
This one is a head-scratcher:

“President Obama expressed his deep concern over Russia’s clear violation of Ukrainian sovereignty and territorial integrity, which is a breach of international law,” the White House said in its readout of the call. “The United States condemns Russia’s military intervention into Ukrainian territory. The United States calls on Russia to de-escalate tensions by withdrawing its forces back to bases in Crimea and to refrain from any interference elsewhere in Ukraine.”

The Kremlin provided its own readout of the call. It said that Putin pointed out to Obama the “real threat to the lives and health of Russian citizens” currently in Ukraine, and referred to “the provocative and criminal actions on the part of ultranationalists who are in fact being supported by the current authorities in Kiev.”

It looks like the Administration is saying it’s okay for Russia to forcibly station troops in a foreign country so long as they play nice. I expect Putin to agree if Barack Taqiyya agrees to a few Russian bases in the US. What the hell, it’s only fair that Russian troops be allowed to protect monitoring stations:

In recent months, the Central Intelligence Agency and the Pentagon have been quietly waging a campaign to stop the State Department from allowing Roscosmos, the Russian space agency, to build about half a dozen of these structures, known as monitor stations, on United States soil, several American officials said.

A Russian GPS Using U.S. Soil Stirs Spy Fears
By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT and ERIC SCHMITT
Published: November 16, 2013

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/w...oil-stirs-spy-fears.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

And look who showed up. Vitaly Churkin. I remember him when he was the darling of American liberals in the 1980s. Back then he was a junior diplomat stationed in Washington. He dressed like a Wall Street yuppie topped by a designer haircut when he testified before Congress about Chernobyl. Supposedly, he was given the honor of being the first Soviet official to testify before Congress because he spoke English so well. He’s obviously improved upon flawless English by mastering the technique of doublespeak:

images

Russian UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin told the Security Council that Russia had acted at the request of the regional authorities in Crimea, making a dubious distinction in claiming that Russian troops could be deployed “on the territory of Ukraine,” but not “against Ukraine.” In response to calls for Russia to refrain from intervention to protect its interests, he said that “[W]e can’t agree with this at all.” Churkin lashed out at the “radicals” in the “illegal” government in Kiev who were allegedly threatening peace and security in Crimea. He questioned the legality of the manner in which Yanukovych was removed from office, noting that Yanukovych had been democratically elected.

I had Churkin pegged as a hardcore Communist when he was in the news. I remember thinking: “Anybody who shakes this guy’s hand better count their fingers after he lets go.” Nothing has happened to change my mind.

I also remember seeing Churkin in the news a few years after he was reassigned to Moscow. He was unshaven and dressed in the usual drab cloths Russian diplomats used to wear like uniforms. I assumed the yuppie image was unfashionable in Moscow. My point: Churkin was a Communist then and he’s one now. Proof: He made the transition from the Soviet Union to today’s Russia without missing a beat.

Here’s Churkin with Suzy Five Shows. God only knows how he suckered her:

images

I dread thinking about what Churkin is doing to Samantha Power:

U.S. Ambassador to the UN Samantha Power expressed the strong support of the U.S. for the new government of Ukraine in her remarks to the Security Council on Saturday. Russia’s “intervention is without legal basis - indeed it violates Russia’s commitment to protect the sovereignty, territorial integrity, and independence of Ukraine,” she said. “It is time for the Russian intervention in Ukraine to end.” Ambassador Power also accused the Russians of double standards with regard to its position on national sovereignty. “It is ironic that the Russian Federation regularly goes out of its way in this Chamber to emphasize the sanctity of national borders and of sovereignty,” she said, “but Russian actions in Ukraine are violating the sovereignty of Ukraine and pose a threat to peace and security.”

Ambassador Power proposed that international monitors and observers - including from the UN and OSCE [Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, in which Russia and Ukraine are members] be sent to Ukraine. “That’s the best way to get the facts, monitor conduct, and prevent any abuses,” she said. Russia so far has shown little inclination to accept this proposal.

It seems hypocritical for Power to invoke “. . . the sanctity of national borders and of sovereignty. . .” when she represents American quislings who fight tooth and nail to keep our borders open at the same time they can’t do enough to hand America’s sovereignty to the United Nations.

Churkin must have laughed his ass off at this one:

In remarks to the press after the completion of the Security Council’s closed door consultations, Ambassador Power said that Russia’s “military presence in Crimea is a violation of international law.”

Naive American assholes are the only ones who expect non-believers to become conscience-stricken at the mere mention of non-existent International law. The Russians consider International law a tool to be used against American interests, but not to be taken too seriously when it interferes with a Kremlin objective. The only good thing I can see in all of this is Churkin shoving International law up Samantha Power’s rear end and breaking it off.

Not to worry though. Ban Ki-moon is concerned:

“I have just spoken directly with Russian President Vladimir Putin by telephone. I told him that I am closely following the serious and rapidly unfolding developments in Ukraine. I am gravely concerned by some of the recent events in particular those that could in any way compromise the unity, sovereignty and territorial integrity of the country. It is crucial to restore calm and proceed to an immediate de-escalation of the situation. Cool heads must prevail and dialogue must be the only tool in ending this crisis. I appealed to President Putin to urgently engage in direct dialogue with the authorities in Kiev.”

United Nations Calls for De-Escalation of Tensions in Ukraine Go Unheeded
By Joseph A. Klein Sunday, March 2, 2014

United Nations Calls for De-Escalation of Tensions in Ukraine Go Unheeded

Finally, I’m not adverse to giving credit where credit is due. Americans can thank Putin for driving another nail into the United Nations’ coffin.

Naive American assholes are the only ones who expect non-believers to become conscience-stricken at the mere mention of non-existent International law. The Russians consider International law a tool to be used against American interests, but not to be taken too seriously when it interferes with a Kremlin objective. The only good thing I can see in all of this is Churkin shoving International law up Samantha Power’s rear end and breaking it off.
Churkin inserted the rigid rod of reality without benefit of Vaseline (my emphasis):

Russian Ambassador to the U.N. Vitaly Churkin defended the use of Russia's military in Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula, claiming the "legitimately elected authorities" in that region asked Russia to intervene and saying this was "completely legitimate under Russian law."

UN Ambassador Power says Russia intervention 'must stop,' Moscow defiant
Published March 03, 2014

US says it is suspending all military-to-military engagements with Russia | Fox News

Just to be clear. Destroying the myth of International law, and/or trivializing the United Nations, is always best for the American people irrespective of what the media tells you.

Last edited:
In remarks to the press after the completion of the Security Council’s closed door consultations, Ambassador Power said that Russia’s “military presence in Crimea is a violation of international law.”​

I guess the political party that accuses conservatives of making war on women does not consider Iran’s treatment of women a violation of non-existent International law:

U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Samantha Power took to Twitter to express her views: “Yet again Iran unopposed & was ‘elected’ to Commission on Status of Women. Given record on women’s & human rights, this is an outrage.”

But Richard Grenell, who served as spokesman for four U.S. ambassadors to the U.N. during the George W. Bush administration and is a close observer of the world body, was unimpressed with her reaction.

“Ambassador Power can tweet her outrage after the fact all she wants,” he said. “She should have been in the room for the vote and demanded a secret ballot rather than allow an automatic acclamation by her silence.” (snip)

April 25, 2014
Samantha Power neglects opportunity to stop Iran from gaining seat UN women's rights body, then tweets her outrage
Thomas Lifson

Blog: Samantha Power neglects opportunity to stop Iran from gaining seat UN women's rights body, then tweets her outrage

Russia has diplomats. Real ones. Educated ones. They are career diplomats who intensively study their posts. Most often the speak the language of the host country. America hands out diplomatic posts to donors and bundlers. Ambassadorships are auctioned off to the highest bidder. Any Russian will mop the floor with lightweight Samantha Power.

Any Russian will mop the floor with lightweight Samantha Power.

To Katzndogz: More so because she and the New World Order crowd she works for naively insist the UN is a noble organization while Russians and everybody else are in it to bring America down.

Democrats have a batting rotation for assholes. Barack Taqiyya, Joe Biden, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and a bunch of top bureaucrats take turns saying stupid things. Samantha Power, who replaced hall of fame asshole Suzy Five Shows, is showing herself worthy of a spot in the asshole lineup:

U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Samantha Power posted photos on Twitter Wednesday to illustrate the purported effects of climate change on a West African nation’s coastline, but the pictures show a hotel that collapsed into the sea 12 years ago, the victim of erosion blamed largely on years of illegal mining of coastal sand.

XXXXX

Although not identified by Power, the two photos posted with the tweet are of the remains of the Palm Hotel in Cotonou, the largest city in Benin, a small, narrow country tucked between Nigeria and Togo. The building collapsed in 2002, 20 years after it was built.

A Nexis search of news reports going back almost two decades shows that Benin, like its Gulf of Guinea neighbors, has long struggled with coastal erosion, a problem recorded since the 1960s.

The earlier reports, however, say nothing about climate change, rising sea levels or melting icecaps.

Instead, the erosion is attributed largely to activity by locals and poor decision-making by authorities in the affected countries, and in Cotonou’s particular case to the city’s location on a narrow strip of low-lying land, between a large lake and the sea.

U.S. Amb. Blames 'Climate Change' for Hotel That Collapsed 12 Yrs Ago on African Beach
July 17, 2014 - 4:40 AM
By Patrick Goodenough

U.S. Amb. Blames 'Climate Change' for Hotel That Collapsed 12 Yrs Ago on African Beach | CNS News

I was wondering why I had not seen one of the foulest creatures in Taqiyya’s Administration of late. Much praise to James Lewis for overturning her rock:

February 5, 2015
Samantha Power, Genocide Enabler
By James Lewis

Articles Samantha Power Genocide Enabler

Forum List

Back