Age discrimination NJ?

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
Yes I work for waste management general labor, I put in for a higher paying position as a plant maintenance assistant. Several people had also put in for that position. IM the most qualified for it I had a HVAC business for 8 year's, went out of business in late 2010 due to the recession, also graduated Lincoln tech for that with a high grade average in 2002. Every person I was told would get a one week tryout for the position, I only got 3 day's, then was sent back to my sorting position because they were short-handed at the time. Note I am the top picker in the plant night end day shift I was clocked at 74 picks per minute once. After I was put back on sorting the second guy went for the position they tried him out for one month, 4 week's. now the 3rd guy went he is friends with the 28 year old supervisor he is 22 years old. IM in my early 50’s, in good health. I feel like I am getting the shaft, age discrimination. I went to my supervisor asked him what was going on with the position, he said the third person was going for his tryout on the following Monday. Now the following Monday the person in charge of maintenance just came back from a 4 or more months of sick leave.

That Thursday at 2PM I went to speak with the plant manager, he was in a meeting. I Spoke with the day manager who said he would set up a meeting with me and the plant manager & the head of maintenance for the following week. I waited until the following Friday, then I just decided to go in myself and speak with the plant manager. Showed him proof I Had HVAC Business for 8 years, Diploma from Licoln Tech, W2 showing I was a subcontractor for AHS, A letter from the NJ Attorney general from 2015 showing I had the right to grand farther the HVAC business in. Plant manage asked me if I wanted another position driving a fork lift, I had said I applied for maintenance, Im good at troubleshooting, reading schematics. He told me that he would get back with me in a few days?

Note I did my tryout in early April. now its May 31

MY next step Human Resources?

Yes I work for waste management general labor, I put in for a higher paying position as a plant maintenance assistant. Several people had also put in for that position. IM the most qualified for it I had a HVAC business for 8 year's, went out of business in late 2010 due to the recession, also graduated Lincoln tech for that with a high grade average in 2002. Every person I was told would get a one week tryout for the position, I only got 3 day's, then was sent back to my sorting position because they were short-handed at the time. Note I am the top picker in the plant night end day shift I was clocked at 74 picks per minute once. After I was put back on sorting the second guy went for the position they tried him out for one month, 4 week's. now the 3rd guy went he is friends with the 28 year old supervisor he is 22 years old. IM in my early 50’s, in good health. I feel like I am getting the shaft, age discrimination. I went to my supervisor asked him what was going on with the position, he said the third person was going for his tryout on the following Monday. Now the following Monday the person in charge of maintenance just came back from a 4 or more months of sick leave.

That Thursday at 2PM I went to speak with the plant manager, he was in a meeting. I Spoke with the day manager who said he would set up a meeting with me and the plant manager & the head of maintenance for the following week. I waited until the following Friday, then I just decided to go in myself and speak with the plant manager. Showed him proof I Had HVAC Business for 8 years, Diploma from Licoln Tech, W2 showing I was a subcontractor for AHS, A letter from the NJ Attorney general from 2015 showing I had the right to grand farther the HVAC business in. Plant manage asked me if I wanted another position driving a fork lift, I had said I applied for maintenance, Im good at troubleshooting, reading schematics. He told me that he would get back with me in a few days?

Human resources work for the company and are told what to do, They will not look out for your interests

It's not always age. From past experience, those over you feel threatened by your years of experience and knowledge. In other words, they're job scared. They don't want you to come in and steal their thunder with your experience and knowledge. The higher you get in the company, the more threatened they become. I could be wrong here, but from what you've disclosed in the root article, it seems like they don't want you to get to a position that would lead to competition with others. Just my guess.

Right now, beside myself was really counting on getting the position. Hard to pay a mortgage on what they are paying me for the general labor job.

This company has good benefits. At my age, in this economy it's very hard to find a job.

I Remember when Ronald Reagan came into office 1981. I voted for Reagan, we had 9 million people out of work total U.S. population was 206 million, young and old. The Recession was over in a few years. Now Obama came in to office January 2009, 12.5 to 13.5 million people out of work at that time. Economy still broken.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back