Actor’s homophobia made her commercially toxic, tribunal told

I was posting on the internet when 911 occurred.

Those of you wallowing about on the fringes of society might not have been on the internet then, but productive, mainstream people sure were.

Um, actually, what you didn't have back then was social media... I didn't deny there was an internet, it just wasn't what it is now.

I mean, yeah, I guess if you think your AOL account was cutting edge, have at it, buddy.

Do you have to be so convoluted?

Not at all. A homophobe shouldn't play a gay character. A Nazi shouldn't play a Jew. A Klansman shouldn't put on black face and play a black person.

This really isn't complicated.

As far as I can understand, she didn't refuse to play the role. She was fired because she might refuse (allegedly, I suppose). And where did you get from that she was 'a flaming homophobe'? All she wrote that this way is 'bad'.

Exactly my point. Anyone who is still trying to use religion to justify their homophobia is out of line.

If you pulled the tax exemptions from the homophobic churches the way they pulled them from Racist churches 40 years ago (thanks, Jimmy Carter) you'd be amazed how fast all the Churches have a COME TO JAY-A-ZUS moment, and they'll treat all those versed hating gays like those verses endorsing slavery and burning witches.
Of course there was social media. I was not on AOL, either. There were any number of discussion groups then.

Of course there was social media. I was not on AOL, either. There were any number of discussion groups then.

You miss the point more often than a retard.

Now, I had a recent situation where I was helping a young lady get her resume ready to get into the job market. Part of that service is I review your linked in Profile. Well, I found it pretty easily, and then she had a link to a Twitter rant about how she didn't get a job in 2017. I told her to clean that up pretty quickly.

That's the world we live in now, that we didn't live in 20 years ago. People maybe said crazy stuff on the internet, but it wasn't out there for everyone to see.

You miss the point more often than a retard.

Now, I had a recent situation where I was helping a young lady get her resume ready to get into the job market. Part of that service is I review your linked in Profile. Well, I found it pretty easily, and then she had a link to a Twitter rant about how she didn't get a job in 2017. I told her to clean that up pretty quickly.

That's the world we live in now, that we didn't live in 20 years ago. People maybe said crazy stuff on the internet, but it wasn't out there for everyone to see.
The main difference is that 20 years ago, there were fewer lowlifes like you on it.

The main difference is that 20 years ago, there were fewer lowlifes like you on it.

yet you're the one who had the anger management problems.

20 years ago, I was one of you right wing nuts who got on the internet and screamed about "Subornation of Perjury" like it was a real thing.

then Bush got in, fucked up the economy, got us into a war instigated by the Jews, but man, at least he wasn't getting a blow job from an intern.

yet you're the one who had the anger management problems.

20 years ago, I was one of you right wing nuts who got on the internet and screamed about "Subornation of Perjury" like it was a real thing.

then Bush got in, fucked up the economy, got us into a war instigated by the Jews, but man, at least he wasn't getting a blow job from an intern.
I should have known that the antisemitism woud come in sooner or later with you.

I was posting on the internet when 911 occurred.

Those of you wallowing about on the fringes of society might not have been on the internet then, but productive, mainstream people sure were.

Um, actually, what you didn't have back then was social media... I didn't deny there was an internet, it just wasn't what it is now.

I mean, yeah, I guess if you think your AOL account was cutting edge, have at it, buddy.

Do you have to be so convoluted?

Not at all. A homophobe shouldn't play a gay character. A Nazi shouldn't play a Jew. A Klansman shouldn't put on black face and play a black person.

This really isn't complicated.

As far as I can understand, she didn't refuse to play the role. She was fired because she might refuse (allegedly, I suppose). And where did you get from that she was 'a flaming homophobe'? All she wrote that this way is 'bad'.

Exactly my point. Anyone who is still trying to use religion to justify their homophobia is out of line.

If you pulled the tax exemptions from the homophobic churches the way they pulled them from Racist churches 40 years ago (thanks, Jimmy Carter) you'd be amazed how fast all the Churches have a COME TO JAY-A-ZUS moment, and they'll treat all those versed hating gays like those verses endorsing slavery and burning witches.
LOL BLACK CHURCHES ARE RACIST remind me how THAT worked.

If you pulled the tax exemptions from the homophobic churches the way they pulled them from Racist churches 40 years ago (thanks, Jimmy Carter) you'd be amazed how fast all the Churches have a COME TO JAY-A-ZUS moment, and they'll treat all those versed hating gays like those verses endorsing slavery and burning witches
First of all, I think that no church should get a state funding or some economic preferences.

Second. She was fired for some post written several years ago in which she expressed her opinion in a mild form. That is not appropriate. There should be a law which protects employees in such situations.

Too bad Britain doesn't have Freedom of Speech.

Oh, wait,

that only works if you are a minority.

It's not a matter of Freedom of Speech. It's a matter of lack of professionalism.

She was hired to play a gay character. She said she didn't read the script and didn't realize the character was supposed to be gay. (You'd think that would be the first thing you'd do as an actor or actress, but never mind.) She then complained about her job on social media, which will probably get you fired in any profession.
Which has nothing to do with the statement that Britain DOES NOT HVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
What has actually happened here that would not have happened in the US ? I am genuinely interested in this.

A couple of weeks ago there were reports of Capitol rioters being sacked after being identified by their employers. Surely that is a freedom of speech issue and suggests that we have similar boundaries?

wrong your government criminalizes free speech we don't.
Nobody is being criminalised for their views. The issues here are commercial and operational. It would be no different in the US. American workers would be sacked if their activities meant that they couldnt,or wouldnt, do the job that they were hired to do. That's standard in any contract of employment.
The reality in Britain is that speech can be a reason to jail someone, or are you going to deny that?

You do realize even in the United States of America has it limits on free speech and your comments could get you arrested...

As much as poster proclaim you can not be arrested for what you say here in the States, well that is untrue and you can not make terroristic threats nor can you scream bomb on a plane or fire in a crowded theater, so let be clear you can be arrested in the United States of America for certain things you say...

I really dont understand why she is suing the theatre. I do suspect that some fundie group is financing this.

Tommys view -- She should take her backward beliefs and fuck off back under a rock.
Is refusing to play the part of a fag homophobic?
She's a friggin actor, last I heard was actors play the part of other people.

Oh, wait,

It's not a matter of Freedom of Speech. It's a matter of lack of professionalism.

She was hired to play a gay character. She said she didn't read the script and didn't realize the character was supposed to be gay. (You'd think that would be the first thing you'd do as an actor or actress, but never mind.) She then complained about her job on social media, which will probably get you fired in any profession.
Which has nothing to do with the statement that Britain DOES NOT HVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
What has actually happened here that would not have happened in the US ? I am genuinely interested in this.

A couple of weeks ago there were reports of Capitol rioters being sacked after being identified by their employers. Surely that is a freedom of speech issue and suggests that we have similar boundaries?

Nobody is being criminalised for their views. The issues here are commercial and operational. It would be no different in the US. American workers would be sacked if their activities meant that they couldnt,or wouldnt, do the job that they were hired to do. That's standard in any contract of employment.
The reality in Britain is that speech can be a reason to jail someone, or are you going to deny that?

You do realize even in the United States of America has it limits on free speech and your comments could get you arrested...

As much as poster proclaim you can not be arrested for what you say here in the States, well that is untrue and you can not make terroristic threats nor can you scream bomb on a plane or fire in a crowded theater, so let be clear you can be arrested in the United States of America for certain things you say...
The bar is VERY high for what is arrestable speech in the US. In Europe you get arrested for mundane speech the powers don't like.

Well here is a turn up. She was actually offered full pay for the role but chose not to take it. This underlines the fact that this is a politically motivated action. Her father runs a crackpot Christian outfit called Christian concern and they are funding the case.

She seems to be really confused. The damage to her career has been caused by her offensive views not by being sacked. I fear that she has been badly advised.

I should have known that the antisemitism woud come in sooner or later with you.

yes, it's "anti-Semitism" to point out that the Zionists and their Amen Corner in Washington instigated the war with Iraq, a country that didn't attack us and had no weapons of mass destruction.

Just a coincidence all the people in the Pentagon who were pushing for war were Jews.

First of all, I think that no church should get a state funding or some economic preferences.

Second. She was fired for some post written several years ago in which she expressed her opinion in a mild form. That is not appropriate. There should be a law which protects employees in such situations.

How would you enforce it?

Companies don't have to tell you why they won't hire you and they don't have to tell you why they fired you.

Yes, companies will search your social media to make sure you aren't a crazy person, a racist or a homophobe. Because hiring someone like that is a liability waiting to happen.

Let's say you go onto someone's facebook, and you find out he has an unhealthy fixation on guns. You hire him anyway, and then one day, he goes on a shooting rampage. The people injured or the relatives of the dead will immediately say, "Why didn't you see he was a gun nut from his Social Media/MAGA postings?" Then they'll sue.

I really dont understand why she is suing the theatre. I do suspect that some fundie group is financing this.

Tommys view -- She should take her backward beliefs and fuck off back under a rock.

More details here:

Sacked actress 'would have refused to play gay role' - BBC ...
Feb 01, 2021 · Seyi Omooba was due to play the lead character, Celie, in The Color Purple at Leicester's Curve Theatre in 2019. Ms Omooba, who is Christian, would have refused the role if she'd known the...

Ms Omooba is being represented by the legal arm of Christian Concern, an organisation co-founded by her father, pastor Ade Omooba MBE.

How would you enforce it?

Companies don't have to tell you why they won't hire you and they don't have to tell you why they fired you.

Yes, companies will search your social media to make sure you aren't a crazy person, a racist or a homophobe. Because hiring someone like that is a liability waiting to happen.

Let's say you go onto someone's facebook, and you find out he has an unhealthy fixation on guns. You hire him anyway, and then one day, he goes on a shooting rampage. The people injured or the relatives of the dead will immediately say, "Why didn't you see he was a gun nut from his Social Media/MAGA postings?" Then they'll sue.

Ms Omooba is being represented by the legal arm of Christian Concern, an organisation co-founded by her father, pastor Ade Omooba MBE.

Oh, wait,

The bar is VERY high for what is arrestable speech in the US. In Europe you get arrested for mundane speech the powers don't like.

Don’t shift the goal posts and the fact remains you can be arrested and ticketed for your speech in this country and that is a fact that many of you ignore.

Your Freedom of Speech is limited and has been all my life and what you wrote is about absolute freedom of speech until I corrected you.

You were in the Military and you damn well know there your Freedom of Speech does not exist unless you are given permission to speak, so let me be clear our First Amendment has limits and always has...

Is refusing to play the part of a fag homophobic?
She's a friggin actor, last I heard was actors play the part of other people.
She may be black, but she is not a slave.

If you pulled the tax exemptions from the homophobic churches the way they pulled them from Racist churches 40 years ago (thanks, Jimmy Carter) you'd be amazed how fast all the Churches have a COME TO JAY-A-ZUS moment, and they'll treat all those versed hating gays like those verses endorsing slavery and burning witches

Employment rights in the UK are being eroded by our conservative junta.It was one of the reasons they wanted to leave the EU.

Having said that I cant see that the employers have done anything wrong here. Her views were well known after her posts were called out by a fellow actor. It was putting the whole production in jeopardy.

Employees have a right to expect that employers operate a safe environment and part of that is ensuring that extremists are not welcomed.

Having been involved in several tribunals she might have a case if proper procedures have not been followed. But that is about it. It is not reasonable for an actor to refuse to play the part that they have been hired to play.

Its a well known book and the characters sexual orientation is no secret. In fact the theatre has a case for counter suing her for wasting their time by applying for a job that she would not do..
I would suspect that Christian Concern would be abetter target as they will have deeper pockets than Miss Omoobo.

Oh, wait,

Don’t shift the goal posts and the fact remains you can be arrested and ticketed for your speech in this country and that is a fact that many of you ignore.

Your Freedom of Speech is limited and has been all my life and what you wrote is about absolute freedom of speech until I corrected you.

You were in the Military and you damn well know there your Freedom of Speech does not exist unless you are given permission to speak, so let me be clear our First Amendment has limits and always has...
LOL the one shifting the goal post is you. in Europe you have no protection in the states you do.

Forum List

Back