Acorn Squash Pie

Didn't know pumpkin pie was a halloween thing. We do them at T-day. As for pumpkin or squash, it tastes good either way.

I love the pie! I don't care if it's an acorn squash.

It's not Thanksgiving without Pumpkin Pie!
Pumpkin was a huge staple in colonial America that the colonists picked up from the natives. Most often it was made into a soup or stewed or mashed (roasted) and served with butter like a sweet potato. It didn't really take off in Europe and most there considered it a poor man's food.
Oh and I like my squash...... errrr pumpkin pie also. :)

Didn't know pumpkin pie was a halloween thing. We do them at T-day. As for pumpkin or squash, it tastes good either way.
Pumpkin was a staple fall thru winter food up through the late 1800s in the US. It fell out of favor only to be resurrected primarily as jack-o-lanterns in the early to mid 1900s.

I don't even like pumpkin pie that much, but if I am around an old woman I'm gonna brag on her pumpkin pie and tell her it's the best I ever had. The ingredients are cheap, and they are quick and easy to bake, but I love to see the sense of pride when they say they baked an extra one just for me, but don't tell anyone else.

Pumpkin was a staple fall thru winter food up through the late 1800s in the US. It fell out of favor only to be resurrected primarily as jack-o-lanterns in the early to mid 1900s.

Okay but neither have much flavor. You could do butternut squash and pass it off as pumpkin because it is that traditional pumpkin pie spice mix that really is what people are tasting.

Okay but neither have much flavor. You could do butternut squash and pass it off as pumpkin because it is that traditional pumpkin pie spice mix that really is what people are tasting.
That's because the vast majority of pumpkins today are either acorn squash (canned pumpkin) or of the non sweet carving variety. The heritage sugar pumpkins have loads of flavor.

Hm. I did not know that about the acorn squash substitution. Good to know.

I feel like I've been taken advantage of all of this time.

Maybe that explains why Pumpkin Pie used to be so good, or seemed to be many years ago.
I'll choose most any other dessert over it, but years ago I loved it.

I love the pie! I don't care if it's an acorn squash.

It's not Thanksgiving without Pumpkin Pie!

We usually make a Pumpkin pie and a fruit pie of some sort.
We make a small version of the pumpkin pie since the two of us never seem to eat a full size.
I like Sweet potato pie as well,you really cant tell the difference between that and pumpkin pie.

We usually make a Pumpkin pie and a fruit pie of some sort.
We make a small version of the pumpkin pie since the two of us never seem to eat a full size.
I like Sweet potato pie as well,you really cant tell the difference between that and pumpkin pie.

Back when my folks were alive, we'd have pumpkin, apple, and pecan pies for Thanksgiving (and often Christmas as well).

Back when my folks were alive, we'd have pumpkin, apple, and pecan pies for Thanksgiving (and often Christmas as well).

Now that it's just the Wife and I Christmas and Thanksgiving are way more simple than the old days when we were feeding 10 people.
Now days we find the smallest bird we can find,which is usually 12 lbs, and make a few sides and a dessert.
We then make some nice stock from the carcass for turkey pot pies later.

Now that it's just the Wife and I Christmas and Thanksgiving are way more simple than the old days when we were feeding 10 people.
Now days we find the smallest bird we can find,which is usually 12 lbs, and make a few sides and a dessert.
We then make some nice stock from the carcass for turkey pot pies later.

We have much smaller gatherings these days now that some of the F&F have left CA in the Covid Diaspora; we do fewer dishes now. My brother and his wife generally host Thanksgiving (mr. boe and I do Christmas). I miss doing a 25 lb turkey!

Forum List

Back