A US Rifle Sent To Kill Commies

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I ran across a CMP "Greek Return" M1903A1 .30-06 yesterday.

03a1 002 (2).JPG

These rifles were sent to Greece between 1946 and 1949 to support The Kingdom of Greece (Hellenic Army) against the communist Provisional Democratic Party forces.

The rifles were returned to the US around 2000 and sold by the CMP around 2002 as were many M1 Garands and Carbines.

They were M1903 rifles that went through a refurb (likely more than one) and received needed repairs and a new stock set and became M1903A1s.... The Army considered any rifle with a pistol grip stock an M1903A1, but M1903 receiver markings were unchanged.

This example's receiver was made in 1918 and in 1932 it received a new barrel....It got a walnut C-Stock (pistol grip) when it went through a refurb at Raritan Arsenal in NJ as indicated by the RA-P stamp.

03a1 012 (2).JPG

View attachment 746809

These rifles were sent to Greece between 1946 and 1949 to support The Kingdom of Greece (Hellenic Army) against the communist Provisional Democratic Party forces.

The rifles were returned to the US around 2000 and sold by the CMP around 2002 as were many M1 Garands and Carbines.

They were M1903 rifles that went through a refurb (likely more than one) and received needed repairs and a new stock set and became M1903A1s.... The Army considered any rifle with a pistol grip stock an M1903A1, but M1903 receiver markings were unchanged.

This example's receiver was made in 1918 and in 1932 it received a new barrel....It got a walnut C-Stock (pistol grip) when it went through a refurb at Raritan Arsenal in NJ as indicated by the RA-P stamp.

View attachment 746810

It's a nice rifle. Too bad they use such shitty wood when they refurb them. My refurb SKS and M14 had the same problem.

View attachment 746809

View attachment 746810

SWEET!!

View attachment 746809

View attachment 746810
My goodness. You seem to highlight a different weapon every day. Do you collect these or are you researching them for personal growth? I have a fair collection of firearms, but nothing close to yours and I haven't nearly the expertise that you exhibit. Good on ya.

My goodness. You seem to highlight a different weapon every day. Do you collect these or are you researching them for personal growth? I have a fair collection of firearms, but nothing close to yours and I haven't nearly the expertise that you exhibit. Good on ya.
Some I keep, some I use to sell or trade-up with to enhance my collection.

As a example.....I bought a very nice S&W Model 19 on Monday. That one replaced another Model 19 I had that was a bit tired finish wise.......I took that Model 19 and traded it for the M1903A1.....See how it works?

You simply can't go wrong with warring nation mil-surp weapons and quality S&W or Colt revolvers if you can buy them right plus you get to enjoy researching/shooting them.

Take the one pictured....When the CMP sold them in 2002 they were $475 with a C-Stock, they are easily double that or better now.

Back then collectors looked down their "purist" noses at the Greek Returns and replaced the traces of Greek ownership with different parts. Now they are collectable due to their Greek Civil War pedigree. Much in the same way Spanish Civil War weapons supplied by Germany and the Soviet Union are.

That and there isn't any ATMs in the graveyard. I'm retired, I have the money, so why not indulge in what I enjoy.....To me the fun is in the hunt. ;)

Hey, that's real sweet! I've considered grabbing one many a time but never did. Right now I have my eyes on an M94 Swedish Mauser carbine, though.

Hey, that's real sweet! I've considered grabbing one many a time but never did. Right now I have my eyes on an M94 Swedish Mauser carbine, though.
I know they are all getting hard to find but try to get one without the false muzzle some had applied to get past the ATF....The barrels were like .25" too short (or the total rifle length was, I forget) but many made it into the country undinked with.

The bottom one has the false barrel extension.

OIP.naZPfCjY6Ye1P9BcXTBkpQHaD4

I know they are all getting hard to find but try to get one without the false muzzle some had applied to get past the ATF....The barrels were like .25" too short (or the total rifle length was, I forget) but many made it into the country undinked with.

The bottom one has the false barrel extension.

OIP.naZPfCjY6Ye1P9BcXTBkpQHaD4
Thanks for that! That's good to know.

Forum List

Back