A Russian cruise ship with 74 people on board has got stuck in the ice near Antarctic

Passengers seem to be taking the adventure in their stride, with Australasian Antarctic expedition leader Chris Turney tweeting: "We're in the ice like the explorers of old! All are well and spirits are high. Happy Christmas from the AA."

I thought the ice was melting? I know the ice hasn't melted their yet. maybe in 500 years or so :lol:

Antarctic Ice Traps Cruise Ship Tourists

Greenland before and after satellite imagery:

greenland ice melt before and after - Google Search

It's melting. Can bury your head in the sand, but that just makes it easier for your to get fuct.

I need to know what you THINK you're seeing in those photos.. Because they have been HIGHLY MISINTERPRETED on purpose by the media.. And NASA enjoyed watching the press misinterpret photos that APPEAR to show that Greenland lost all of it's ice in just 4 days in July of 2012..

IS THAT what's bugging you bunky?? Did you get punked by the AGW propaganda campaign?

That theatre event never happened.. Greenlands ice was largely STILL THERE at the end of July 2012..

Last edited:
As to the ship.

Being trapped in that way is not at all unusual. What IS unusual is that the smaller ships normally travel in pairs (though not terribly closely) so that WHEN one becomes trapped the other can assist.

Those aren't flimsy ships; they're built to deal with the ice though they are by no means icebreakers.

Yes, experience though from about 14 years ago.

As to the ship.

Being trapped in that way is not at all unusual. What IS unusual is that the smaller ships normally travel in pairs (though not terribly closely) so that WHEN one becomes trapped the other can assist.

Those aren't flimsy ships; they're built to deal with the ice though they are by no means icebreakers.

Yes, experience though from about 14 years ago.

I thought the ice was gone. Maybe the ice didn't get the memo

Well Rabble, maybe you are just too damned stupid to look up what the normal cycles for the Antarctic Ice are. And the continent of Anarctica is losing ice by the gigaton every year. Just because your minimal mind cannot figure out the differance between sea ice and ice on a continent is not our problem.

Well Rabble, maybe you are just too damned stupid to look up what the normal cycles for the Antarctic Ice are. And the continent of Anarctica is losing ice by the gigaton every year. Just because your minimal mind cannot figure out the differance between sea ice and ice on a continent is not our problem.

Retard why is their ice? I thought you have been preaching it would be gone.

I thought the ice was melting? I know the ice hasn't melted their yet. maybe in 500 years or so :lol:

It's melting. Can bury your head in the sand, but that just makes it easier for your to get fuct.

I need to know what you THINK you're seeing in those photos.. Because they have been HIGHLY MISINTERPRETED on purpose by the media.. And NASA enjoyed watching the press misinterpret photos that APPEAR to show that Greenland lost all of it's ice in just 4 days in July of 2012..

IS THAT what's bugging you bunky?? Did you get punked by the AGW propaganda campaign?

That theatre event never happened.. Greenlands ice was largely STILL THERE at the end of July 2012..

hahahahaha, I should have known you would have answered before I could.

I dont think the poster is retarded but his premise is retarded. the surface skin turned to water on a hot day with an inversion. and the media gets to trot out that "97%" figure again! hahahaha. unfortunately dullards get taken in and they just dont think any deeper into the subject. thanks for trying to set him straight.

hahahahaha, I should have known you would have answered before I could.

I dont think the poster is retarded but his premise is retarded. the surface skin turned to water on a hot day with an inversion. and the media gets to trot out that "97%" figure again! hahahaha. unfortunately dullards get taken in and they just dont think any deeper into the subject. thanks for trying to set him straight.

Absolutely no problems with Delta4 pointing this out.. I had to dig to figure out what I was looking at.. Honestly IanC --- I had never seen those photos before.. Kinda shocking how MAJOR media didn't understand what they were looking at. But then --- I'm certain that NASA STILL enjoys the fact that those images are #1 Google images for Greenland and Ice..

This OP just got juicier for me this morning when I discovered this is not just a Gilligan Island tourist ship.. Seems like the Guardian has 2 journalists on this SCIENTIFIC CRUISE commemorating an early mission to the area..

Antarctic expedition scientists trapped in ice | World news | The Guardian

The Finnish-built Shokalskiy left the port of Bluff in New Zealand on 8 December with 48 passengers and 20 crew members to follow in the footsteps of the great Antarctic explorer and scientist Douglas Mawson. Led by the climate scientist Chris Turney of the University of New South Wales, the ship has been sailing through the Southern Ocean, repeating and extending many of Mawson's wildlife and weather observations in order to build a picture of how this part of the world has changed in the past 100 years.

Passengers were kept updated throughout the day about the ship's situation. When the ship is free from the ice, expected by the weekend, this modern incarnation of the AAE will continue on to the Southern Ocean and will return to Bluff via a stop on Macquarie Island to carry out a short programme of wildlife, oceanography and climate research.
"We can't wait to get to Macquarie Island," said Turney. "It was a cornerstone of the original AAE and we're keen to finish the research programme there."

And there it is.. Climate scientists stranded in the Antarctic Ice.. And NONE of them predicted this... Probably should have checked the weather reports.. If this was the ORIGINAL Mawson Expedition, they'd all be dead by New Years.. Must have been a lot warmer back then --- huh?

HooHah HA HA HA HA ...

Last edited:

" + theTitle + "
nynf.jpg

pixel.gif

The only part which is open is the southern end of the Nares Strait...wooden vessels sailed through there in 1875 all the way up to the northern end of Ellesmere and Greenland !
The same goes for the currently open part of the North Atlantic, east of Greenland...that`s from the warmer Gulf stream and has sweet-f-all to do with "AGW"
Although there has been recent debate, there is consensus that the climate of Western Europe and Northern Europe is warmer than it would otherwise be due to the North Atlantic drift, one of the branches from the tail of the Gulf Stream. It is part of the North Atlantic Gyre.

Last edited:
One thing the weather channel and the news media fail to note is that it's mid summer in the southern hemisphere. I wonder about the ecological effect of using fossil powered engines to break up naturally formed ice. It's labeled as a "scientific" expedition so everything they do is fine.

One thing the weather channel and the news media fail to note is that it's mid summer in the southern hemisphere. I wonder about the ecological effect of using fossil powered engines to break up naturally formed ice. It's labeled as a "scientific" expedition so everything they do is fine.

It does have an impact. Especially when it`s happening at the edges. After that the wind can break it up even more.
I`ve been watching the ship traffic with "Live Ships Map" :
Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions - AIS Marine Traffic

And noticed that every year this time of the year there are dozens of passenger ships that call themselves "research vessels" shattering the ice sheet fringes and getting stuck...which in turn forces more ice breakers to come to the rescue and churn up even more ice in the process:
BBC News - China icebreaker fails to reach stuck Antarctic ship
China icebreaker fails to reach stuck Antarctic ship
Too thick' One of the leaders of the expedition, Chris Turney, earlier tweeted an image of the Snow Dragon icebreaker - also known as the Xue Long - on the horizon as it approached the research ship.
That Chinese icebreaker Xue Long has been criss-crossing that area since November
XUE LONG - Research/survey vessel: current position and details | IMO 8877899, MMSI 412863000, Callsign BNSK | Registered in China - AIS Marine Traffic
Flag: China
Type: Research/survey Vessel
IMO: 8877899
MMSI: 412863000
Call Sign: BNSK

showphoto.aspx
The same shit goes on in the arctic polar ice cap during the summer season up there.
The Russians use their Mega Ice breakers to give well heeled tourists cruises to the North Pole. It would take hurricane force winds to cause the same kind of damage to the ice-sheet.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6OHHGrVM3g"]RUSSIAN NUCLEAR POWERED ICE BREAKER SHIP 50 LET POBEDY - YouTube[/ame]
All the passengers were eco-tourists and they call this shit a "research expedition".
After that all it takes is the ever present wind to break it up even more
And that crap goes all the time on during the daylight months on both poles

That ship is awesome!!! Just awesome. Very disturbing to hear of the Russian nuclear "dumping grounds" up in the North Pole area.

An how ironic.......these meatheads who go on and on about solar and wind energy.......17th century BS........cant coomprehend the power of innovation. The AGW k00ks are the definitive flat-earthers.

Last edited:
Icebreaker paths are insignificant in comparison to the total ice pack. Hence, they have no effect.

But if you disagree, just show us the scientific literature supporting your case. (Yeah, right.)

Forum List

Back