A Retelling Of The Nativity (In My Own Words)

You were trying to be funny but i think Christians are so used to having their beliefs made fun of that it is getting to be problematic. They don't behead people over it but it is annoying. :smiley20:

I wasn't making fun of Christianity, I'm a Christian myself. I was making fun of how little I actually know the Nativity story by heart.

Okay, so maybe I was poking fun at some apparent plot holes and how everybody sort of just went with the fact that Mary was pregnant with the Messiah without even questioning it considering at the time how strange and out of the ordinary it would have been,... But I wasn't making fun of Jesus Himself. Especially since today it makes perfect sense to us since we have the Bible for clarification.

Not the best story to poke fun at.

Look up.

I wasn't making fun of Christianity, I'm a Christian myself. I was making fun of how little I actually know the Nativity story by heart.

Okay, so maybe I was poking fun at some apparent plot holes and how everybody sort of just went with the fact that Mary was pregnant with the Messiah without even questioning it considering at the time how strange and out of the ordinary it would have been,... But I wasn't making fun of Jesus Himself. Especially since today it makes perfect sense to us since we have the Bible for clarification.

Look up.
I suspect that Mary was held in contempt but Joseph saved her. He made no accusation so there was that...He had had the dream that told him what was going on. Christmas is a time of great joy but for me it is a bitter sweet Joy. A child, an innocent child is born, the savior of the world ...and that role would require his death in 30 years. a horrible death...by crucifixion. I can only imagine the Magis' emotions when they realized their gifts, the myrrh and frankincense, were for preparing a body, the adult body of this holy baby, for burial.

and then i think about God who sacrificed his son for us, his creation. Is there anyone you love enough to sacrifice your own son for? exactly.

Last edited:
and then i think about God who sacrificed his son for us, his creation. Is there anyone you love enough to sacrifice your own son for? exactly.

If I had a son then no, but I never said that He didn't. However, if Jesus is God in the flesh then technically He wasn't God's actual Son,.. He was Son of the spirit. Man that sounded a whole lot less stupid in my head because even I don't totally understand it. 😕

Was Jesus born of a virgin? a mortal, human? yes. What does the bible say? Son. of God.

Yes,.. but I was never arguing that fact. I was saying that He wasn't God's son like you are a son to your parents.

I get what you were trying to do. But i'll BET you would really enjoy getting into the details and understanding why this or that WAS. If you allow me i'd like to recommend a study bible you will really enjoy. Life Application Study Bible, NLT

I get what you were trying to do. But i'll BET you would really enjoy getting into the details and understanding why this or that WAS. If you allow me i'd like to recommend a study bible you will really enjoy. Life Application Study Bible, NLT

No thanks. I have my own Bible study.

(A). I think the proper rendering of the word in question is, "anyhoo," not "anywho." It is correctly said as "anyhow."

(B). I've always wondered where this little narrative came from. No doubt it originated with Mary, but from the little bit we know of her, she doesn't seem like someone who would tell this sort of detail to anyone outside her immediate family. How did it originate, and how did it make its way into the minds of the evangelists?

(C). It is ironic that possibly the most often repeated prayer in the Catholic collection (the Hail Mary) starts with words that were - it now seems - a mis-translation of the original text, to wit, we say, "Hail Mary, full of grace..." and most current translations render it as something like, "Hail Mary, you have found favor with the Lord..." And that translation is, as I understand it, the basis for our belief in the Immaculate Conception - that Mary herself (not Jesus) was conceived without original sin.

(D). Many of the details of this narrative have found no support among historians who have studied this part of the world at the time in question. The whole census thing, with Joe having to trek to his family's town of origin, the killing of the babies...there is no contemporaneous record of these events that would corroborate the Nativity narrative.

(E). The Nativity and Christmas should be celebrated separately, on the same calendar day. When viewed properly, there is no connection between the Nativity, and Christmas trees, gift-giving, Santa Clause, and jingle bells. I say, from sunset on Christmas Eve until sunrise on Christmas Day, we celebrate the Nativity, then from sunrise on, we celebrate "Christmas."

Forum List

Back