A reminder of Fred Rogers

36cpzn.gif

I watched this video and remembered seeing Mr Roger's Neighborhood when I was little. And my own kids discovering it many years later.

This fall there is a Tom Hanks movie coming out that I hope captures the spirit of it.

He never talked down to children. And he was not afraid to tackle the toughest topics. Race relations, divorce and death were within his gentle realm.

There will probably never be another tv personality like Fred Rogers. And that is a real shame. I think we could use one right about now.

I grew up before Mr. Rogers started his program. I remember his predecessors, Moe, Larry and Shemp, our 3 nutty friends, who were really good for kids to watch as well.

Captain Kangaroo was better,not as boring...

One big difference was that Capt Kangaroo did commercial spots. One of the sponsors was Buster Brown shoes, and the Capt himself did the commercials. Fred Rogers made sure he never used the trust he gained from the children to sell them anything.
he had sponsors too....

Yes he had sponsors. But the children never saw him hawking any products. Distinct difference.

One big difference was that Capt Kangaroo did commercial spots. One of the sponsors was Buster Brown shoes, and the Capt himself did the commercials. Fred Rogers made sure he never used the trust he gained from the children to sell them anything.
he had sponsors too....

Yes he had sponsors. But the children never saw him hawking any products. Distinct difference.
yea like little kids give a shit about that....wow buster brown shoes....made little kids demented....

he had sponsors too....

yea like little kids give a shit about that....wow buster brown shoes....made little kids demented....

Fred Rogers believed that the relationship he developed with his audience should not be exploited by trying to sell them stuff. Whether you believe that to be true, you have to admire him turning down millions of dollars in endorsements to stand by his beliefs.

Captain Kangaroo was on commercial TV for his career. Me. Rogers on public TV in America. Commercial TV depended on ratings much more then public TV. Kangaroo had plenty of competition and had massive local commercial stations he competed with that had their own morning shows. You don't know if he would have survived a commercial endevour with his schtick. But he seemed to be real and that is in short supply.

he had sponsors too....

Fred Rogers believed that the relationship he developed with his audience should not be exploited by trying to sell them stuff. Whether you believe that to be true, you have to admire him turning down millions of dollars in endorsements to stand by his beliefs.
so he wasnt the face,he was still selling them stuff....

he had sponsors too....

Nothing wrong with selling the children stuff. I watched Popeye a lot as a kid, and have been eating canned spinach to this day

he had sponsors too....

Nothing wrong with selling the children stuff. I watched Popeye a lot as a kid, and have been eating canned spinach to this day
dont tell me,i know that...tell winter....

I watched this video and remembered seeing Mr Roger's Neighborhood when I was little. And my own kids discovering it many years later.

This fall there is a Tom Hanks movie coming out that I hope captures the spirit of it.

He never talked down to children. And he was not afraid to tackle the toughest topics. Race relations, divorce and death were within his gentle realm.

There will probably never be another tv personality like Fred Rogers. And that is a real shame. I think we could use one right about now.

I grew up before Mr. Rogers started his program. I remember his predecessors, Moe, Larry and Shemp, our 3 nutty friends, who were really good for kids to watch as well.

I was taught by nuns in the 60s that didn`t want us to watch the 3 stooges. The nuns were more violent than Moe, Larry and Curly.

Jerry Garcia enjoyed watching Captain Kangaroo while practicing his guitar. The Captain was cool but that damn dancing bear was a scary dude.

And Jerry Garcia was a major drug addict, and died too young because of it.
He died of a heart attack. In 1986 he went into a diabetic coma and nearly died then. The combination of that and being an overweight smoker had more to do with an early death than the drugs.

Jerry Garcia enjoyed watching Captain Kangaroo while practicing his guitar. The Captain was cool but that damn dancing bear was a scary dude.

And Jerry Garcia was a major drug addict, and died too young because of it.
He died of a heart attack. In 1986 he went into a diabetic coma and nearly died then. The combination of that and being an overweight smoker had more to do with an early death than the drugs.

You may well be right on that. Keith Richards is a lot more of a dope head than Garcia ever was, and is still alive. But Mr. Richards isn't overweight and isn't a diabetic

he had sponsors too....

I didn't say there was anything wrong with selling children stuff. I was talking about Fred Rogers beliefs concerning selling children stuff.

Will they leave out the part where Rogers was a Christian Minister?

I doubt they will leave it out.

They also probably won't leave out the fact they his was one of the first children's shows with a recurring black character. I wonder if they will leave out the part about Rogers hiring gay men to work on the show. That was a first.

They also probably won't leave out the fact they his was one of the first children's shows with a recurring black character. I wonder if they will leave out the part about Rogers hiring gay men to work on the show. That was a first.

Not true. The Little Rascals were a great children's program that predates Mr. Rogers and featured Stymie and Buckwheat and other black characters.

Not true. The Little Rascals were a great children's program that predates Mr. Rogers and featured Stymie and Buckwheat and other black characters.

First of all, I said "one of". Second of all, the Little Rascals wasn't a children's show. It was a show about children.

Forum List

Back