A remedy to gerrymandering.

there's little or no political advantage to gerrymandering

Your silly proposal will give parties more incentive to gerrymander their districts.
A Dem district with 90% of the vote gives that politician a much larger vote in Congress than a Dem district with 51% of the vote.

(i.e. this proposal doesn't directly or indirectly “reward gerrymandering”.

Based on previous interactions with you, I'm confident that you really do lack normal intelligence.

Toddsterpatiot, you're not thinking the proposal through. I prefer the prior proposal, but although that may not require a constitutional amendment, it would require a new federal law. Unlike our current system, within the proposal described in this thread, or “An immodest proposal for general elections of U.S. Member of Congress and our presidents” tread, almost every vote cast in USA's general federal elections would substantially affect future acts of congress.

Within both proposals ALMOST ALL Votes, (excluding votes for candidates who were favored by less 0.0010 of the total votes cast in their congressional district), are politically consequential. The 10% of the votes not cast for the highly approved of Democratic congressional representative in your example, reduced the effectiveness of that representatives votes in congress by 10% and the marginally approved Democratic representative's votes would be reduced 49%. Republican representatives would be similarly affected. Regardless of any gerrymandering of congressional districts. those who are favored with greater proportions of their district's votes are more, and those who are favored with lesser proportions of their district's votes are less effective in congress. There's then no significant political advantages to be gained by gerrymandering.

Respectfully, Supposn

Toddsterpatiot, you're not thinking the proposal through. I prefer the prior proposal, but although that may not require a constitutional amendment, it would require a new federal law. Unlike our current system, within the proposal described in this thread, or “An immodest proposal for general elections of U.S. Member of Congress and our presidents” tread, almost every vote cast in USA's general federal elections would substantially affect future acts of congress.

Within both proposals ALMOST ALL Votes, (excluding votes for candidates who were favored by less 0.0010 of the total votes cast in their congressional district), are politically consequential. The 10% of the votes not cast for the highly approved of Democratic congressional representative in your example, reduced the effectiveness of that representatives votes in congress by 10% and the marginally approved Democratic representative's votes would be reduced 49%. Republican representatives would be similarly affected. Regardless of any gerrymandering of congressional districts. those who are favored with greater proportions of their district's votes are more, and those who are favored with lesser proportions of their district's votes are less effective in congress. There's then no significant political advantages to be gained by gerrymandering.

Respectfully, Supposn

I thought both your proposals through and they're both bad ideas.

Forum List

Back