A new .22 rifle.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
I already have a 10/22 rifle but I'm looking for a pump action .22
I've decided on a Henry with the Octagon barrel that'll shoot shorts as well as LR.
While they're kinda pricey at $560 for a .22 they're also sought after as a collector rifle.
Does anyone have one? And if so can you give me a review on your experience?

1669951824522.png

I owned one for a short while and it was just fine as a shooter but I'm one of those oddballs that is not all that taken with octagon barrels. I traded it off for a Marlin 39a "Mounty" lever action a friend that is a Henry "freak" had. A fair trade.

You cam feel confident in your purchase as Henry's customer service is the best in the industry.

I picked-up a old 1920s era Winchester M1906 pump yesterday, it also shoots S, L, LR.

I need a few parts to get it up to snuff but it's a really good shooter....When I get the parts in and installed I'll refinish the metal as there is no finish left on it.

06 001 (3).JPG

I already have a 10/22 rifle but I'm looking for a pump action .22
I've decided on a Henry with the Octagon barrel that'll shoot shorts as well as LR.
While they're kinda pricey at $560 for a .22 they're also sought after as a collector rifle.
Does anyone have one? And if so can you give me a review on your experience?

View attachment 733497

To be honest, for that kind of money you can get a real nice Winchester Model 1890. Get one made in the 1920's and the workmanship is vastly superior and you don't have to pay a premium for an earlier made one.

The Remington Model 12 is a similar situation.

I owned one for a short while and it was just fine as a shooter but I'm one of those oddballs that is not all that taken with octagon barrels. I traded it off for a Marlin 39a "Mounty" lever action a friend that is a Henry "freak" had. A fair trade.

You cam feel confident in your purchase as Henry's customer service is the best in the industry.

I picked-up a old 1920s era Winchester M1906 pump yesterday, it also shoots S, L, LR.

I need a few parts to get it up to snuff but it's a really good shooter....When I get the parts in and installed I'll refinish the metal as there is no finish left on it.

View attachment 733506

I saw that.
You cant beat a Winchester even when old.

View attachment 733506

The 1906 is good, but I think the 1890 is better.

To be honest, for that kind of money you can get a real nice Winchester Model 1890. Get one made in the 1920's and the workmanship is vastly superior and you don't have to pay a premium for an earlier made one.

The Remington Model 12 is a similar situation.

The issue is finding one.
From what I understand the Henry is very well made so much so that collectors covet them.
So much so that I'm having a hard time finding one.

The 1906 is good, but I think the 1890 is better.
Meh, it was just a "target of opportunity".....Something to mess with.

The M1890 is a much more handsome rifle due to it's buttplate.

That said I much prefer the M1906's 20" barrel length over the standard 24" length of the M1890. It's much handier.

BTW.....The M1890 buttplate is the same one used on the .32-20 M1873....Winchester used them on many of their turn of the century .22s.

Last edited:
Meh, it was just a "target of opportunity".....Something to mess with.

The M1890 is a much more handsome rifle due to it's buttplate.

That said I much prefer the M1906's 20" barrel length over the standard 24" length of the M1890. It's much handier.

BTW.....The buttplate is the same one used on the .32-20 M1873....Winchester used them on many of their turn of the century .22s.

I am a on the tall side so the 24" barrel is better for me. Mine was drilled and tapped long ago and has a Winchester 05 scope mounted which helps my tired eyes.

The main reason I'm looking for one is for a plinker and a possible SHTF rifle.
While the 10/22 has been reliable for years the pump is even more so.

I have four 10/22's, and if I could only have one firearm period, that is what it would be.

I did a torture test on one years ago and didn't clean it for over 10,000 rounds. It just kept on running.

I got to feeling so guilty I ended up cleaning it before it stopped.

They truly are a world beater.

I have four 10/22's, and if I could only have one firearm period, that is what it would be.

I did a torture test on one years ago and didn't clean it for over 10,000 rounds. It just kept on running.

LOL.....I gave one to dad in the late 70s as a gift and he used it till he passed and used it a lot.....He never cleaned it and it banged right along. When he passed in '08 I took it home and pulled chunks of burnt power combined with WD-40 out of it......It still have it and it bangs right along none the worse for wear.

That said I think the OP wants to be able to use shorts in a tub-fed..

You might consider a tube-fed Marlin 781 bolt action for that. Same s,l,lr capability in a more accurate package.

27597232_1.jpg

Nah...I'm looking for a pump gun.
Shot an old Remington way back when and I loved it!!
We tossed a bunch of 2x4 squares from a construction sight into the bayou and plinked at em as they floated down bayou.
I split a bunch of em right down the middle out to 50 yards.
Call it an old memory gun.

I'm not seeing how being taller has anything to do with barrel length. Of course a increase in sight radius is always a good thing.

My arms are proportional, thus longer.

LOL.....I gave one to dad in the late 70s as a gift and he used it till he passed and used it a lot.....He never cleaned it and it banged right along. When he passed in '08 I took it home and pulled chunks of burnt power combined with WD-40 out of it......It still have it and it bangs right along none the worse for wear.

That said I think the OP wants to be able to use shorts in a tub-fed..

I have used shorts in my 10/22.

But don't tell anyone🤫

No doubt they're reliable.
I'm thinking I'm going to take mine and put some new furniture on it.
Want to turn it into more of a combat look.

Forum List

Back