A more representative military?

Apr 6, 2014
They say intelligent people do not join. The rich do not join. The officers are overwhelmingly conservative. What can we do to make the military more representative of American society? Should we have officer and even enlisted training programs at all colleges both public and private? I support a draft as long it is not a poverty draft. A draft would help keep us from getting into more unjustified wars.

if you want a truly representative military a draft is the only way to do it.

largely though i think a volunteer military is a better idea.

Just pick up any issue of Army Times magazine, flip to the page they list active duty deaths and you'll see: Not enough Women and Minorities dying for the Cause.

They say intelligent people do not join. The rich do not join. The officers are overwhelmingly conservative. What can we do to make the military more representative of American society? Should we have officer and even enlisted training programs at all colleges both public and private? I support a draft as long it is not a poverty draft. A draft would help keep us from getting into more unjustified wars.

Make sure each race is represented according to their percentile of the total population. Same goes for sports like Basketball and Football.

Lets be fair now.

A draft didn't help us stay out of Korea or Vietnam. I support mandatory service though, just not for that particular reason.

America's gone soft. Despite having the best equipped military the planet's ever seen, we have one of the worst performing militaries. As evidenced by defeats in Iraq and Afganistan. Problem though isn't soldiers but Washington making them fight on on foot with both hands tied around their backs...While wearing a blindfold. Washington should do no more about military operations than say "Sic em'!" Then it should back the fuck off.

We're tooc ocnerned with media and appearences now. Consequently, every mission or operation is being held back with questions of "How is this gonna play politically?" Who cares?! Once you've resigned yourself to killing people how it's gonna play in the media should be the last thing you care about. What's a negative reaction really do anyway. Did an anti-Iraq/Afganistan groundswell bring those wars to a close? Of course not. Hence the reason a mandatory military enlistment makes sense. When everyone's got some skin in the game, you quit playing games.

A draft didn't help us stay out of Korea or Vietnam. I support mandatory service though, just not for that particular reason.

America's gone soft. Despite having the best equipped military the planet's ever seen, we have one of the worst performing militaries. As evidenced by defeats in Iraq and Afganistan. Problem though isn't soldiers but Washington making them fight on on foot with both hands tied around their backs...While wearing a blindfold. Washington should do no more about military operations than say "Sic em'!" Then it should back the fuck off.

We're tooc ocnerned with media and appearences now. Consequently, every mission or operation is being held back with questions of "How is this gonna play politically?" Who cares?! Once you've resigned yourself to killing people how it's gonna play in the media should be the last thing you care about. What's a negative reaction really do anyway. Did an anti-Iraq/Afganistan groundswell bring those wars to a close? Of course not. Hence the reason a mandatory military enlistment makes sense. When everyone's got some skin in the game, you quit playing games.
i think you need to give us some examples.

Israel comes readily to mind.

Israel comes readily to mind.
yes. israel does not mind what it looks like when they kill thousands and level homes. do you think that's in their long term best interests?
israel also hasn't taken on an operation like we did in iraq and afghanistan.

Forum List

Back