A look back at why we're such a divided country

airplanemechanic

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2014
In my 20+ years in politics I've never seen the country this divided. It didn't get this way overnight, something had to cause it.

In my opinion, NOTHING any president has done has been as divisive to the country as when Obama forced Obamacare down our throats along partisan lines. That drove a wedge between the two parties and republicans said if we ever get back control we will NOT cooperate or negotiate with liberals. And they stuck to their word.

Even the Gulf War was bi partisan with many democrats voting yes.

Nothing Clinton or Reagan did was along party lines like that.

Neither Bush did anything partisan like that.

It was Obama and Obama only. After Obama, republicans didn't care what democrats thought. Why? Because democrats already showed they didn't care about half the nation when they shoved Obamacare down their throats.

So I would have to lay the blame of division in this country solely on the lap of the democrats and Obama.

Obama actually tried working with Republicans on healthcare reform but Republicans decided they would not work with him no matter what.

Just a little bit of history that Republicans like to forget.

Obama actually tried working with Republicans on healthcare reform but Republicans decided they would not work with him no matter what.

Yes Republicans were not down at all for gov't healthcare. That's all Obama wanted. And saying Obama "worked" with them is a joke. Saying "take this or we'll shove it down your throats" is not exactly "working with" a party.

Yes Republicans were not down at all for gov't healthcare. That's all Obama wanted. And saying Obama "worked" with them is a joke. Saying "take this or we'll shove it down your throats" is not exactly "working with" a party.

How should Obama have worked with Republicans?

Except that Democrats started crafting the bill with a handful of Republicans.

Then the Republican leadership told these brave souls that attempting to work with Obama would endanger their seats so they backed out. That’s the kind of atmosphere that Republicans have promoted ever since Obama had the audacity to get elected.

Oh, and calling it government healthcare is stupid hyperbole because the ACA was founded on market based health coverage which originated from the Heritage Foundation.

This nation has always been divided. Mostly it's divided by socio economic classes however there's also religions, locations, the list goes on. In essence it's a melting pot and is quite diverse which is definitely a strength.

That's bullshit.

The Democrats stayed united to defeat every reasonable amendment that the GOP brought forward. They insisted that Christian outfits like Hobby Lobby and the Little Sisters of the Poor be required to pay for Sex Changes and Abortions. Obama never gave an inch, didn't negotiate at all with Republicans.

How should Obama have worked with Republicans?

Obama could have gone to Capitol Hill and found out what the Republicans wanted and put it in the bill. He could have gone on the radio on Limbaugh's program and others and got ideas from the people.

It's says something when the richest, hardest working by far nation in the world cannot make good healthcare both affordable and good for every last, even homeless citizen. Something ominous in fact.

Oh, and calling it government healthcare is stupid hyperbole because the ACA was founded on market based health coverage which originated from the Heritage Foundation.

He tried to hand healthcare to the insurance companies. It was an awful idea to be honest.
I mean, that’s what we do for the majority of people in this country, not sure why it can’t work.

It’s my preferred healthcare scheme. Works great in Germany.

Obama could have gone to Capitol Hill and found out what the Republicans wanted and put it in the bill. He could have gone on the radio on Limbaugh's program and others and got ideas from the people.

And what did they want other than to oppose Obama at all costs?

Obama's idea of "working" with Republicans was getting them to agree to what he wanted, and little else.

Just a little bit of history that democrats like to forget...

Nevertheless Obama still forced obamacare without bipartisan support
If by “forced” you mean passed the law using his massive majorities in both houses of Congress, then yeah.

But don’t pretend as if he intended to do it that way. Republicans left him no choice.

And what did they want other than to oppose Obama at all costs?

What the Republican People wanted was a Free Market solution for health care, not free condoms paid by the Catholic Church.

In my experience, I can trace it to Newt Gingrich Republicans and the rise of Rightwing Media.

Newt abandoned any attempt at Compromise and bipartisanship.
Rightwing media took it further in punishing any Republican who dared to compromise. A Win/Win solution was unacceptable because it allowed the other side to win also. The term RINO a was coined to label any Republican who tried to work with the other side

Forum List

Back