A car question

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
When I run the heat in my car there is a very strong stench of detergent. Not mildew, not mustiness. Detergent. It doesn't come from the defroster, or from the air conditioner, or from the heat if I am having it blow from the dash. It only comes from the duct that is near the floor.

I recently started going to a different car wash and am wondering if somehow it is forcing detergent/soap into my heat duct. Any thoughts on this? I find a lot on the web about bad smells, but nothing like this.

Sounds like you might have a coolant leak. Get that checked immediately. You probably have a cracked hose and radiator fluid is leaking onto the engine.

Is there a puddle on your driveway after parking your car for a while?

Sounds like you might have a coolant leak. Get that checked immediately. You probably have a cracked hose and radiator fluid is leaking onto the engine.

Is there a puddle on your driveway after parking your car for a while?

No, there's no puddles. It doesn't really smell like coolant. I had a car that had a coolant leak and it came through all the vents.

Mystery solved. The front floor mat had gotten pushed up over the heat vent. When the air got hot enough to heat up the rubber mat, the smell started. Now that I have moved it back where it belongs, no more odor. I've had a coolant leak in another car and the engine always had the smell when it was warm. This one did not, and I opened the hood to check.

Forum List

Back