8 Coldest Places That Make Everything Frozen

sam5971

Feb 13, 2020
Venturing outside in the cold this winter, with record-breaking low temperatures stretching from Maine to southern Florida, may take some courage, but these recent lows are nothing compared to the ones on this list.

International Falls, Minnesota, United States (- 40 Fahrenheit/- 40 Celsius) -International Falls is so serious about its status as one of the coldest places in the continental United States that it has actually taken another town to court over the title.In 2002, International Falls took Fraser, Colorado, to court in order to finally settle who had claim to the title "Icebox of the Nation," according to a report from the BBC. They now celebrate that win by hosting the annual four-day Icebox Days festival, which includes events such as frozen turkey bowling, snow-sculpting and candlelit skiing.While it is in fact only the second coldest place in the continental United States, International Falls boasts the lowest average temperature in the country, hovering between 32 and 36 degrees F (0 and 2 degrees C).
Stanley, Idaho, United States (-52.6 Fahrenheit/-47 Celsius) -The title of coldest place in the continental United States belongs to Stanley, Idaho, a town 130 miles (209 km) east of Boise. In addition to its record cold temperature, the town also holds claim to the highest number of coldest days between 1995 and 2005, according to a report by the BBC. Situated within the Rockies, Stanley is surrounded by the White Cloud, the Boulder and the Sawtooth Mountain Ranges all of which contain peaks over 10,000 feet (3,048 m). The town is also surrounded by three national forests: the Boise, Challis and Sawtooth.
Prospect Creek, Alaska, United States (-78.16 Fahrenheit/-62.1 Celsius) -Prospect Creek is a very small settlement approximately 180 miles (290 km) north of Fairbanks, Alaska. Originally, it was home to mining expeditions and the home base for the 27,000 people building the Alaskan Pipeline. Since the completion of the pipeline in 1977, there is little activity in the area. Prospect Creek is known for having the lowest recorded temperature in the United States. In January of 1971, the record low temperature of nearly minus 80 degrees F (minus 62 degrees C) was recorded. Despite these frigid temperatures the oil in the pipeline doesn't freeze due to 4-inch-thick (10 centimeters) fiberglass thermal insulation, according to the Alaska Pipeline Operation Company.

I don't know how anyone can stand being in an area that is cold enough. I am surprised that they even live to tell about it.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I don't know how anyone can stand being in an area that is cold enough. I am surprised that they even live to tell about it.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Your body gets used to it....sort of.....more used to it than people often realize. It still got annoying when I lived up in Yankeeland and my windshield would frost on the inside with the heater on blast when I would start driving down the road some mornings when it was in the negative numbers outside.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
....my dad fought in Korea where it got down to 30 below zero !!! that's not wind chill...they didn't have any houses to go into--no furnaces...they were out in that weather for many days
..no high tech cold weather gear
..no cold weather goggles
..they had warming tents sometimes--wow !
...it was hard enough to get food and water...they had to ''hump [ USMC slang for march ] over icy, snowy hills...with not much sleep ...surrounded by the Chinese--yet they continued relentlessly to fight and hump back to the sea

people here go from their house to car and complain when it's 15 degrees

^^^ According to the first message of this chat, the temperature has fallen as far as minus 78 in the city of Prospect Creek, Alaska!

God bless you and anyone who lives there always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back