67-year-old man dies from the 123 degree heat in Death Valley after running out of gas

Tragic. God rest his soul. I always carry bottled water, a candle, lighter, blanket, trail mix, stuff like that. Doesn't take up much room.

You might remind people that sandals, shorts and a tank top are not proper attire for a visit to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. As for Yellowstone, these rivers flood every year as a result of run off, add to that this year's unusual wet spring and you have------- "increased flooding."
You should have seen the images of the rushing water taking out the entire road for mile after mile of high water. Not much of that road from the Montana north, going south is left. It could take years to put it back or rerout the road entirely. It was like looking at the aftermath of a freak show. :dunno:

We go to Furnace Creek at least once a year...a nice restaurant there.....

Beautiful interior at your link. Your trekking out that way sounds adventurous to me. :thup:

Tragic. God rest his soul. I always carry bottled water, a candle, lighter, blanket, trail mix, stuff like that. Doesn't take up much room.
I adore people who prepare ahead of time then carry through with their outing or trip safely.

You should have seen the images of the rushing water taking out the entire road for mile after mile of high water. Not much of that road from the Montana north, going south is left. It could take years to put it back or rerout the road entirely. It was like looking at the aftermath of a freak show. :dunno:
I don't know if you watch the other watersheds in that area or others feeding the Mississippi, but flooding is a normal spring time occurrence. This flooding in Yellowstone is unusual to be sure, but the northern tier of the US has had drought conditions for the past few years and they are also welcoming the extra spring time precipitation. Last year at this time the inland NW was sweltering. Indeed, on July 4, the panhandle of ID and Troy, MT were experiencing unheard of high temps above 110 F. I had a bout with heat stroke that day. I grew up in southern NM and AZ and have experienced high temps before, but that heat last year took its toll on this old body. It can happen fast.

Last edited:
I don't know if you watch the other watersheds in that area or others feeding the Mississippi, but flooding is a normal spring time occurrence. This flooding in Yellowstone is unusual to be sure, but the northern tier of the US has had drought conditions for the past few years and they are also welcoming the extra spring time precipitation. Last year at this time the inland NW was sweltering. Indeed, on July 4, the panhandle of ID and Troy, MT were experiencing unheard of high temps above 110 F. I had a bout with heat stroke that day. I grew up in southern NM and AZ and have experienced high temps before, but that heat last year took its toll on this old body. It can happen fast.
Hydrating is important for sure. If your urine is yellow or dark during a heat episode, you are probably dehydrated as well. Sometimes you're not thirsty but drink anyway.

1. [IMG alt="Yarddog"]https://www.usmessageboard.com/data/avatars/s/49/49527.jpg?1624675258[/IMG]
    Sad
    Yesterday at 11:04 PM

Yarddog's :(

Me, too, Yarddog. Big hug. :huddle:

On May 30, he told a Park Ranger who cited him for off-the-road parking. Two days before he died, another Ranger found his car
at the Zabriski Point parking lot. They found David Kelleher, 67, two days later 2 miles away and 30 feet off the road.

Prayers up for Mr. Kelleher's family and friends.

When in this remarkably heated summer, be sure you have gas enough in your car to get home. And it wouldn't hurt to fill a picnic water dispenser with ice and water when you travel far from home. In Yellowstone Park, they're having so much water from recent snows that melted fast in the heat that they closed Yellowstone Park for a while. One of the roads was shown on TV as ruined for miles and miles along the Yellowstone River down river from Montana's entrance to the Park. If a family member goes for a ride out in this weather to see desert sights, pack a water container in her or his car before takeoff.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

People die in the desert every year, people die in the mountains every year.

The one thing these deaths have in common is that the people were totally unprepared for the situation

It happens every year. Someone runs out of gas or gets lost. Carry a lot of water. Stay on the main road and make sure you get gas.

So a park ranger comes across him, and instead of offering some kind of assistance, leaves him to the wilderness with nary more than a citation?

There are junkies and alcoholics that have taken over just about every park on the left coast but federal rangers spend time issuing tickets to some poor bastard who parks off the road in Death Valley. Go figure.

Drove through Death Valley one summer with no A/C and the windows down

At 121 degrees and zero humidity it was like having a hair dryer blow in your face for a hundred miles.
I rode through on a motorcycle from Ridgecrest, CA to Beatty, NV in March of 2002. We spent a couple days in Beatty and toured the park. Even in Mar. it was uncomfortably warm.

Forum List

Back