67-year-old man dies from the 123 degree heat in Death Valley after running out of gas

beautress

Always Faithful
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 28, 2018
Walker County, TX
On May 30, he told a Park Ranger who cited him for off-the-road parking. Two days before he died, another Ranger found his car
at the Zabriski Point parking lot. They found David Kelleher, 67, two days later 2 miles away and 30 feet off the road.

Prayers up for Mr. Kelleher's family and friends.

When in this remarkably heated summer, be sure you have gas enough in your car to get home. And it wouldn't hurt to fill a picnic water dispenser with ice and water when you travel far from home. In Yellowstone Park, they're having so much water from recent snows that melted fast in the heat that they closed Yellowstone Park for a while. One of the roads was shown on TV as ruined for miles and miles along the Yellowstone River down river from Montana's entrance to the Park. If a family member goes for a ride out in this weather to see desert sights, pack a water container in her or his car before takeoff.

I can't believe that dumb bastard lived this long.
iu

Anyone ever driven through Needles CA. or Barstow CA.? Man, the Mojave Desert is one isolated place, and those are God forsaken towns found along the way. You may drive an hour from them and not see anything, or anyone.

When in this remarkably heated summer, be sure you have gas enough in your car to get home. And it wouldn't hurt to fill a picnic water dispenser with ice and water when you travel far from home.
These exact words are posted all over Death Valley. That temp is not unusual from March to October in any year. The problem was with the guy's ability to follow common sense.

On May 30, he told a Park Ranger who cited him for off-the-road parking. Two days before he died, another Ranger found his car
at the Zabriski Point parking lot. They found David Kelleher, 67, two days later 2 miles away and 30 feet off the road.

When in this remarkably heated summer, be sure you have gas enough in your car to get home. And it wouldn't hurt to fill a picnic water dispenser with ice and water when you travel far from home. In Yellowstone Park, they're having so much water from recent snows that melted fast in the heat that they closed Yellowstone Park for a while. One of the roads was shown on TV as ruined for miles and miles along the Yellowstone River down river from Montana's entrance to the Park. If a family member goes for a ride out in this weather to see desert sights, pack a water container in her or his car before takeoff.
You might remind people that sandals, shorts and a tank top are not proper attire for a visit to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. As for Yellowstone, these rivers flood every year as a result of run off, add to that this year's unusual wet spring and you have------- "increased flooding."

I really enjoy watching those narrated (by the survivor) survival shows in which someone survives being attacked by a bear, breaking a leg while climbing a mountain, or being in the heat like this etc.

The Scouts Motto I was taught was "be prepared". From all the situations I have seen in these shows, and I enjoy them equally for the entertainment value and educational lesson one can derive; this motto I was taught in Scouts so long ago is still the best policy.

You cannot account for all variables, but when embarking into such a climate, you cannot cut corners or take chances. Your life could end at odds much greater than you estimate. I consider it this way, "what is the harm is taking an extra five to ten minutes that might save my life or anothers."

Be prepared.

RIP.

Last edited:

That's not too far from the main road between Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells. Doesn't make sense.

For those who think the 67-year old man was stupid, some people that age have Alzheimer's or Dementia with Lewy Bodies and can't recall things like those who drew the lucky straw and have alert brains with no damages of falling or blows to the head when young. That means, victims can read warnings, turn around and forget what they just read and may not think about it again or recall it the next day. If he was there for the two weeks described as being seen by Rangers, he may have forgotten what day it was, where he is, or that his mama (who died 20 years ago) told him to stay in his room, and became confused when the first ranger cited him. He was found with a note in his hand that said "out of gas." Sometimes those with dementia will write themselves a note and cling to it that has an important fact they want to remember later, then innocently forget they are holding the note that reminds them to do something important like fill up the car.

The best intentions they have fade away in the twinkling of an eye. If you've ever had a loved one with memory problems, this story makes sense.

Last edited:
Callous conservative ^^^; total lack of empathy for the deceased and any loved ones what a jerk.
I don't know, Rye. We have a lot of different aged people here. Younger people don't always think like septuagenarians, yet they have youthful enthusiasm and are often fun to talk to.

Forum List

Back