6 August 1945

namvet

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
across the pond
on this date the first abomb is dropped on Japan

16giu13.jpg

let the debate begin

not much to be said, it was just a huge boom compared to smaller booms and I think IF I were a member of that city then , I think I would prefer this, then the fire raids that burned cities out in long slow gruesome days like the ninth circle of hell.....the revisionists will tell you it wasn't necessary and the rest like me will tell you, yes, it was...*shrugs*

I watched the Emperor online yesterday. pretty good flick. deals with post war Japan and MacArthurs' entry into the country. should Hirohito be hanged or not ???

I watched the Emperor online yesterday. pretty good flick. deals with post war Japan and MacArthurs' entry into the country. should Hirohito be hanged or not ???

no, we did what we had to do, there is a time to be magnanimous....Truman did the right thing there I think.

Tojo was the puppet master and he got hung, justice? ...who knows really.

no, we did what we had to do, there is a time to be magnanimous....Truman did the right thing there I think.

Tojo was the puppet master and he got hung, justice? ...who knows really.

agreed. in war you use your best weapon. use it or lose it. they were not gonna surrender

This site has source documents on it.

The Atomic Bomb and the End of World War II: A Collection of Primary Sources

The Japanese never offered to surrender. At every stage they offered what was basically a cease fire and return to Nov 41 Borders.

Even after the 1st Bomb the Japaneses Government controlled by the Army basically insisted on the same conditions.

After the 2nd Bomb the Army still refused to surrender and it took the Emperor saying it was over to end it. Even then the Army attempted a Coup against the Emperor to prevent his announcement of the surrender.

not much to be said, it was just a huge boom compared to smaller booms and I think IF I were a member of that city then , I think I would prefer this, then the fire raids that burned cities out in long slow gruesome days like the ninth circle of hell.....the revisionists will tell you it wasn't necessary and the rest like me will tell you, yes, it was...*shrugs*

So rather than debating it this year I'll simply say that it was a shame that so many people died under so horrible a circumstance.

So rather than debating it this year I'll simply say that it was a shame that so many people died under so horrible a circumstance.

sure, agreed, but read a few stories from Tokyo or Osaka eye wittinesses to the fire bomb raids, its, well depressing and gruesome, not easy reading, seriously, hell on earth....an A- bomb could be seen as a left handed gift....:doubt:

sure, agreed, but read a few stories from Tokyo or Osaka eye wittinesses to the fire bomb raids, its, well depressing and gruesome, not easy reading, seriously, hell on earth....an A- bomb could be seen as a left handed gift....:doubt:

Well, let's not forget those who survived the initial blast but later died of the residual effects of the radiation. Though I was speaking about everybody who died in WW2 in general. Whether you think it was justified or not, I think we can agree it was nothing short of a disaster.

This site has source documents on it.

The Atomic Bomb and the End of World War II: A Collection of Primary Sources

The Japanese never offered to surrender. At every stage they offered what was basically a cease fire and return to Nov 41 Borders.

Even after the 1st Bomb the Japaneses Government controlled by the Army basically insisted on the same conditions.

After the 2nd Bomb the Army still refused to surrender and it took the Emperor saying it was over to end it. Even then the Army attempted a Coup against the Emperor to prevent his announcement of the surrender.

the surrender was a vote. 3 politicians, 3 military. took the emperor to break the deadlock. then came the forced break in to stop the tape broadcast.

It's a shame we didn't have the nuke earlier to prevent so many of our people from being killed. The circumstance was created by the Japanese, not our problem that we found a way to end it with ZERO of our own casualties.

Forum List

Back