6.3 earthquake - Western Idaho on Tuesday, 31 March 2020

The Year 2020 is just beginning and will we have 2021? one can ask the question

Challis, and Salmon Idaho the epicenters has had earthquakes for years. These are felt 200 miles away at the Snake River Valley area and they shake the house pretty good there. Perhaps when the next very large area sloughs off into the Snake near Bliss, Idaho someone will stay there and keep it filmed.

Over 200 miles away from Yellowstone ... not close ... earthquakes occur in this area fairly regularly, and about this magnitude ...

From USGS:
"This earthquake occurred within the Intermountain Seismic Belt, a prominent zone of recorded seismicity in the Intermountain West, and is within the western part of the Centennial Tectonic Belt, an area of southwest-northeast extension north of the Snake River Plain. The quake is about 16 km north-northeast of the Sawtooth fault, a 60-km-long normal fault that extends along the eastern base of the Sawtooth Range. "

Thank you RodISHI , I don't know much about the precise regions near Yellostone, it's a friend of mine who passed the information on to me.

Thank you RodISHI , I don't know much about the precise regions near Yellostone, it's a friend of mine who passed the information on to me.
It was on the Boise evening news (felt heavily in the Snake River Valley Hagerman). The mountain range here in the map you can see has a bit of a divide there.

Challis.PNG

Thank you, it's not so close but hey it's dangerous because the Yellowstone could wake up

Could but so could the Madrid fault. These things are part of life here on earth.

Thank you, it's not so close but hey it's dangerous because the Yellowstone could wake up

Yellowstone's caldera and magma chambers are only a few miles thick ... and the surface of the caldera is a very very active area geologically ... I believe it's has the highest density of geysers in the world, with mineral springs and earthquakes by the thousands ...

Scishow on YouTube is usually spot-on ... enjoy ...

TR;DR: 100's if not 1,000's of years forewarning before Yellowstone booms big ...

Forum List

Back