44 Magnum

2400 like 110 is
I shot big bore silhouette mostly with Super Blackhawks and later( early eighties) with a Redhawk. For practice I loaded a hot Kieth spec 44 spl load....13.5/2400 ?? and for competition I ran a 240 gr Horny-day with a load of H110. Cant recall the grainage....too many years.
All these idiots think a 44 is a hand cannon. It's a one handed guy with practice. The recoil isn't bad at all.My old 4" security six with a smokin 357 load kicked harder. A TC with 44 mag is a cupcake a kid can play with at the range

13.5 gr. of 2400 behind a Kieth-style cast bullet should run about 950 fps. That was my average chronographed velocity when using cast 44 mag bullets with Alliant 2400. Any faster than that, and the bore leaded up pretty bad in the 7" barrel. It took me a piece of Chore Boy copper scrub pad on a brush to scrub the lead flakes out of the bore.

I usually use HP-38 or Winchester 231 in the lower-velocity cast loads, about 6.5 gr.of 231 for 882 fps, which was most accurate. Plus I can shoot them all day without the pain. But 2400 really works well at full-magnum loads with jacketed bullets. I like those Hornady 240 gr. XTP JHP with 19.5 gr of 2400 to a measured average of 1277 fps for the best accuracy.
2400 and 110 are better case full. Make sure you have some 44 spl casings for light loads. Don't "download' a magnum case with them

I found that out. 2400 is best for magnum loads, instead of plinkers. I've used it for .30 carbine too, but the H110 is better for that.
In mine I used 21 grains of 2400 and a magnum primer. I can't recall the bullet weight but it was either 180 gr. jhp or 240 gr jhp.

Probably 240 grain. The highest I've worked up to with that is 20.2 grains. Accuracy tends to drop off at the higher loads though. Most of what I shoot is just paper targets, so the lower-velocity stuff works better for me.

2400 like 110 is
I shot big bore silhouette mostly with Super Blackhawks and later( early eighties) with a Redhawk. For practice I loaded a hot Kieth spec 44 spl load....13.5/2400 ?? and for competition I ran a 240 gr Horny-day with a load of H110. Cant recall the grainage....too many years.
All these idiots think a 44 is a hand cannon. It's a one handed guy with practice. The recoil isn't bad at all.My old 4" security six with a smokin 357 load kicked harder. A TC with 44 mag is a cupcake a kid can play with at the range

13.5 gr. of 2400 behind a Kieth-style cast bullet should run about 950 fps. That was my average chronographed velocity when using cast 44 mag bullets with Alliant 2400. Any faster than that, and the bore leaded up pretty bad in the 7" barrel. It took me a piece of Chore Boy copper scrub pad on a brush to scrub the lead flakes out of the bore.

I usually use HP-38 or Winchester 231 in the lower-velocity cast loads, about 6.5 gr.of 231 for 882 fps, which was most accurate. Plus I can shoot them all day without the pain. But 2400 really works well at full-magnum loads with jacketed bullets. I like those Hornady 240 gr. XTP JHP with 19.5 gr of 2400 to a measured average of 1277 fps for the best accuracy.
2400 and 110 are better case full. Make sure you have some 44 spl casings for light loads. Don't "download' a magnum case with them

I found that out. 2400 is best for magnum loads, instead of plinkers. I've used it for .30 carbine too, but the H110 is better for that.
In mine I used 21 grains of 2400 and a magnum primer. I can't recall the bullet weight but it was either 180 gr. jhp or 240 gr jhp.

Probably 240 grain. The highest I've worked up to with that is 20.2 grains. Accuracy tends to drop off at the higher loads though. Most of what I shoot is just paper targets, so the lower-velocity stuff works better for me.
I have an interesting story to share. One day a co-worker invited me to go shooting with him on some land his family had. I took my 44 Smith with the aforementioned loads and my Ruger New Model Single Six 22 with long rifle ammo. We were messing around shooting stuff when we walked up on an old abandoned car. Danny says, "Why don't you shoot out the windshield with your 44 mag like they do in the movies?" So I shot it. All it did was make a nice even 44 size hole in the windshield where it went through the glass. No blown up windshield. So, just for grins I shoot it with a 40 grain lead bullet from the 22 revolver. Guess what? Shattered the holy crap out of the windshield! So right then and there we knew Dirty Harry was full of crap!

I used to reload my 44 mag. It was a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5 inch barrel I think, I don't remember, and I had a Model 29 6 inch.

When the cases would get worn out I used to drill out the flash holes in the primer pocket to about double the size they were and seat a primer into the case. Then I would heat the other end of the case with a lighter for a few moments and them push the case into a rectangle of gulf wax. Viola! Wax bullets! You could rip open an empty beer can from across the room! The reason you drill out the primer flash hole is because if you don't the primer will back out of the pocket when fired and lock the cylinder down. Not forever but it makes it hard to get the empties out.

gulffeatured.jpg

I had a Rossi .38 snubby I did that with but I would load them up with foam ear plugs. My dad called them mouse fart loads.

I had a Rossi .38 snubby I did that with but I would load them up with foam ear plugs. My dad called them mouse fart loads.

Cool, never thought about foam ear plugs. Wax good though. One can get the parafin sealing wax anywhere, bout the size of an index card. Soften in hot water then just press the primed sized case into it. Leave it upside down till dried or kills primer.

Cool, never thought about foam ear plugs. Wax good though. One can get the parafin sealing wax anywhere, bout the size of an index card. Soften in hot water then just press the primed sized case into it. Leave it upside down till dried or kills primer.

The ear plugs were nice because you could shoot them indoors. Not real accurate, but considering the gun I did it mostly to goof off. They are beer can accurate to 10 yards, but that's stretching it and those light ear plugs lose their momentum pretty fast.

I used to reload my 44 mag. It was a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5 inch barrel I think, I don't remember, and I had a Model 29 6 inch.

When the cases would get worn out I used to drill out the flash holes in the primer pocket to about double the size they were and seat a primer into the case. Then I would heat the other end of the case with a lighter for a few moments and them push the case into a rectangle of gulf wax. Viola! Wax bullets! You could rip open an empty beer can from across the room! The reason you drill out the primer flash hole is because if you don't the primer will back out of the pocket when fired and lock the cylinder down. Not forever but it makes it hard to get the empties out.

a306e6_58938.jpg

suppository bullets.jpg

Forum List

Back