3 day waiting period and Background Check

It is a deflection.. period.. because you were schooled on what the purpose of a firearm actually is... Just as a butcher knife is not designed to kill, but can be easily used to do such a thing

And Fast and Furious was wrong not because of the guns, but because of the inept planning for tracking the guns and the logistics of the operation

Maybe you should have paid a little more attention during weapons training, soldier... it is the soldier who is lethal, not the weapon

Why would it matter if the guns weren't tracked correctly, if they weren't going to be used to kill people?

In fact, why would there be any need for the operation in the first place?

The designated purpose of a Butcher knife is to cut meat. If it is used to kill someone, that is simply secondary.

The designated purpose of a gun is to kill things. If it is used for target practice THAT is secondary.

Last edited:
It is a deflection.. period.. because you were schooled on what the purpose of a firearm actually is... Just as a butcher knife is not designed to kill, but can be easily used to do such a thing

And Fast and Furious was wrong not because of the guns, but because of the inept planning for tracking the guns and the logistics of the operation

Maybe you should have paid a little more attention during weapons training, soldier... it is the soldier who is lethal, not the weapon

Why would it matter if the guns weren't tracked correctly, if they weren't going to be used to kill people?

The use is on the person, in that case the criminals under investigation... Just as household kitchen items not having the purpose to kill, but a person planning to use them as such makes the end result

Maybe you should understand the difference between the purpose of something and the use of something

The fact is, you (although you will not admit it, soldier) were WRONG... the purpose of a firearm is to send a projectile down range...

Holmes had loads of dope in him yet folks blame it on the guns.

Cause and effect. No matter how much dope he consumed, without guns it would have been much more difficult to kill and maim so many so quickly. Arson, maybe, or a bomb but neither method is easier or more effective than a high volociety semi automatic firearm with a large capacity magazine.

The ability to fire rounds with little recoil at the rate of one per second or so is likely a more effective and surer way to kill and maim a large population than arson or a bomb, unless the bomb is huge.

Really, How many did Tim McVeigh kill without using any guns?

The use is on the person, in that case the criminals under investigation... Just as household kitchen items not having the purpose to kill, but a person planning to use them as such makes the end result

Maybe you should understand the difference between the purpose of something and the use of something

The fact is, you (although you will not admit it, soldier) were WRONG...

IN the military, they teach us that the purpose of a weapon is to kill.

Here is the Marine Corps Rifleman's creed:

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...
My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...
My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...
Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

Any soldier will tell you the same. The purpose of a rifle is to kill.

The purpose of a kitchen knife is to chop broccoli.

The designated purpose of a Butcher knife is to cut meat. If it is used to kill someone, that is simply secondary.

The designated purpose of a gun is to kill things. If it is used for target practice THAT is secondary.

I would argue the designated purpose of inanimate objects is to do absolutely nothing until a human intervenes on its behalf.

The fact is, you (although you will not admit it, soldier) were WRONG...

IN the military, they teach us that the purpose of a weapon is to kill.

Here is the Marine Corps Rifleman's creed:

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...
My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...
My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...
Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

Any soldier will tell you the same. The purpose of a rifle is to kill.

The purpose of a kitchen knife is to chop broccoli.

Funny.. that does not support your case at all... nothing about the purpose of the weapon other that to use it to shoot straight and to shoot the enemy... the soldier's purpose is to render the enemy unable to fight... the purpose of the weapon at hand is to SEND A FUCKING PROJECTILE DOWN RANGE

You are a fucking idiot for supposedly being military intelligence

Ahhh.. deflection because you know you're wrong

It's not deflection, it's directly related.

You believe something was done wrong in Operation Fast and Furious, correct?

Was that not the fact that guns were provided to Mexican drug cartels?

And, if the express purpose of guns is not to use them to kill people, why would this be an issue?

After all, I'm sure they're just going to be using them for target practice, or for shooting non-lethal rounds.

So a gun was first designed to ... cut beef?

As was the invastion and occupation of Iraq.

True:

He's five foot-two, and he's six feet-four,
He fights with missiles and with spears.
He's all of thirty-one, and he's only seventeen,
He's been a soldier for a thousand years.

He'a a Catholic, a Hindu, an Atheist, a Jain,
A Buddhist and a Baptist and a Jew.
And he knows he shouldn't kill,
And he knows he always will,
Kill you for me my friend and me for you.

And he's fighting for Canada,
He's fighting for France,
He's fighting for the USA,
And he's fighting for the Russians,
And he's fighting for Japan,
And he thinks we'll put an end to war this way.

And he's fighting for Democracy,
He's fighting for the Reds,
He says it's for the peace of all.
He's the one who must decide,
Who's to live and who's to die,
And he never sees the writing on the wall.

But without him,
How would Hitler have condemned him at Labau?
Without him Caesar would have stood alone,
He's the one who gives his body
As a weapon of the war,
And without him all this killing can't go on.

He's the Universal Soldier and he really is to blame,
His orders come from far away no more,
They come from here and there and you and me,
And brothers can't you see,
This is not the way we put an end to war.

Funny.. that does not support your case at all... nothing about the purpose of the weapon other that to use it to shoot straight and to shoot the enemy... the soldier's purpose is to render the enemy unable to fight... the purpose of the weapon at hand is to SEND A FUCKING PROJECTILE DOWN RANGE

"I must shoot him before he shoots me."

You're in some serious denial.

I would argue the designated purpose of inanimate objects is to do absolutely nothing until a human intervenes on its behalf.

While it is true that inanimate objects have no conscious purpose of their own.

They do have a purpose that they were designed to be used for.

"I must shoot him before he shoots me."

You're in some serious denial.

To fire a projectile, even at or into the enemy, is not equal to having the purpose to kill.... you seem to lack the cranial capacity to understand the difference between use and purpose.. .or even between outcome and purpose...

A firearm, or a non-firearm projectile delivery device, has the purpose of delivering a projectile down range from a static position.... THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE TOOL OR THE IMPLEMENT

you are in some serious denial, not me... and your preconceived agenda has you flailing for a way out....

It's not deflection, it's directly related.

You believe something was done wrong in Operation Fast and Furious, correct?

Was that not the fact that guns were provided to Mexican drug cartels?

And, if the express purpose of guns is not to use them to kill people, why would this be an issue?

After all, I'm sure they're just going to be using them for target practice, or for shooting non-lethal rounds.

So a gun was first designed to ... cut beef?

As was the invastion and occupation of Iraq.

True:

He's five foot-two, and he's six feet-four,
He fights with missiles and with spears.
He's all of thirty-one, and he's only seventeen,
He's been a soldier for a thousand years.

He'a a Catholic, a Hindu, an Atheist, a Jain,
A Buddhist and a Baptist and a Jew.
And he knows he shouldn't kill,
And he knows he always will,
Kill you for me my friend and me for you.

And he's fighting for Canada,
He's fighting for France,
He's fighting for the USA,
And he's fighting for the Russians,
And he's fighting for Japan,
And he thinks we'll put an end to war this way.

And he's fighting for Democracy,
He's fighting for the Reds,
He says it's for the peace of all.
He's the one who must decide,
Who's to live and who's to die,
And he never sees the writing on the wall.

But without him,
How would Hitler have condemned him at Labau?
Without him Caesar would have stood alone,
He's the one who gives his body
As a weapon of the war,
And without him all this killing can't go on.

He's the Universal Soldier and he really is to blame,
His orders come from far away no more,
They come from here and there and you and me,
And brothers can't you see,
This is not the way we put an end to war.

Idiot.. it has been stated numerous times...

A firearm, or a non-firearm projectile delivery device, has the purpose of delivering a projectile down range from a static position.... THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE TOOL OR THE IMPLEMENT

And see, this is the problem here...

You people are so intractable, that even someone like me, who fully supports and encourages gun ownership and open carry laws, is shouted into the ground for suggesting that reasonable methods be used in the distribution of guns.

Do we not all agree that we don't want felons and psychopaths to have weapons easily available to them to purchase and kill people instantly?

Is it so unreasonable to ask that we take some simple measures to eliminate that danger?

A 3 day waiting period is really not an onerous requirement. Neither is a simple background check.

I went through both to purchase the hunting rifles that I own. It really wasn't difficult.

I can see the need for background checks and waiting periods.

However, in return, there should be no need for gun licenses, and open carry laws should be the norm everywhere, except on private property where the owner doesn't allow it of course.

Yes, I think there would be many less killings if everyone was carrying a gun. The only exception to that should be our schools where we should demand that every student carry at least one switchblade to make the school safer.

To fire a projectile, even at or into the enemy, is not equal to having the purpose to kill.... you seem to lack the cranial capacity to understand the difference between use and purpose.. .or even between outcome and purpose...

you are in some serious denial, not me... and your preconceived agenda has you flailing for a way out....

So, we design monkey wrenches for no purpose at all?

We just manufacture them for fun, and if someone happens to pick it up and use it to turn a bolt, well, that's good for them!

:cuckoo:

Seriously dude, you have no argument here.

Tools are created to serve a purpose. While it is true the tool has no will of it's own, the creator of said tool does.

So, we design monkey wrenches for no purpose at all?

We just manufacture them for fun, and if someone happens to pick it up and use it to turn a bolt, well, that's good for them!

:cuckoo:

Seriously dude, you have no argument here.

Tools are created to serve a purpose. While it is true the tool has no will of it's own, the creator of said tool does.

You simply refuse to accept the actual purpose so that you can fit your own agenda driven purpose in....

The purpose of a projectile delivery system, whether it be a firearm, a slingshot, a bow, a catapult, a cannon, or whatever else is to deliver a projectile down range from a static start.... PERIOD...

The purpose of a monkey wrench is to grab on to the intended target, cinch closed, and have the ability to turn... by your logic, the purpose would be to tighten. Focusing on one result that comes from intent and use

You are the one with no argument.. well. actually you do have an argument.. it is just an incorrect one

A right delayed is a right denied.
No, it is not.
Really. So MLK2 was wrong, and so long as we let colored people -eventually- exercise their civil rights, their rights arent violated. Interesting that you think so, but good to see you admit it.

Felons and the legally insane lose several rights for the protection of society.
Irrelevant to what i said.
Are you suggesting that we should allow schizophrenic sociopaths all their rights even if they endanger their entire community by doing so?
You'd get farther if you address what I said rather than what you want me to say.

Don't recall seeing a reponse to this.

should be on folks prescribed hardcore pyschotropic pharmeceutical drugs. Folks can wait 3 days for their dope.
After all, people do not kill people. Guns and drugs do.
Didn't you specifically write PRESCRIBED? That means that a medical professional authorized that drug regimen.

When is a gun "prescibed"?

You simply refuse to accept the actual purpose so that you can fit your own agenda driven purpose in....

What "agenda"? I'm pro guns. I love guns. I think everyone should own one.

Everyone except felons and psychopaths.

The purpose of a projectile delivery system, whether it be a firearm, a slingshot, a bow, a catapult, a cannon, or whatever else is to deliver a projectile down range from a static start.... PERIOD...

Every one of those things was designed with the express purpose of killing people.

The purpose of a monkey wrench is to grab on to the intended target, cinch closed, and have the ability to turn... by your logic, the purpose would be to tighten. Focusing on one result that comes from intent and use

You are the one with no argument.. well. actually you do have an argument.. it is just an incorrect one

The purpose of a Monkey Wrench is to tighten and loosen, yes. Just like the purpose of a gun is to kill all kinds of things. From raccoon to geese to deer to humans.

Really. So MLK2 was wrong, and so long as we let colored people -eventually- exercise their civil rights, their rights arent violated. Interesting that you think so, but good to see you admit it.

Don't recall seeing a reponse to this.

Is someone being given preferential treatment in the scenario I describe, where some people don't have to have a background check and waiting period and other people do?

Again, 3 days is not a hardship. It is simply a precaution for public safety.

There are all kinds of rights that are temporarily abridged in the interest of public safety.

One must stop at a red light in order to let others pass going in the other direction, or people will crash and die.

The question is whether the public safety precaution is needed, and whether the abridgment of rights is reasonable, given the circumstances.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back