1981 Marlin 444S Lever Action

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up another Marlin lever-action today.....A Marlin 444S made in 1981 in about 80% condition. I gave $500.00 for it which was a steal.

It was topped by a way too big 3X9X40 Nikon scope so I removed it and put a Leupold 2X7X33 in low rings on it. I can always use the Nikon on something else.

Now I just need to decide what to feed it and order. ;)

444 002 (2).JPG

more.......

I picked-up another Marlin lever-action today.....A Marlin 444S made in 1981 in about 80% condition. I gave $500.00 for it which was a steal.

It was topped by a way too big 3X9X40 Nikon scope so I removed it and put a Leupold 2X7X33 in low rings on it. I can always use the Nikon on something else.

Now I just need to decide what to feed it and order. ;)

View attachment 951057

more.......

Just feed it any remington or winchester or...... 444 ammo. But be very careful. If you don't to a complete lever, it's prone to jam and bend the cartridges since they are so long.

Just feed it any remington or winchester or...... 444 ammo. But be very careful. If you don't to a complete lever, it's prone to jam and bend the cartridges since they are so long.
Yeah, I have two Marlins in .45-70 so I'm used to the lever throw.....The worst lever throw is on an Win. 1895 in .30-40 I own.

Hornady makes a 265 gr load I'm reading really good things about. I'm gonna get some feedback from the Marlin Owner's forum first.

I remember that back in the day the Remington fodder was using 240gr bullets made for .44 magnum revolver ammo and they did not fair well.

Yeah, I have two Marlins in .45-70 so I'm used to the lever throw.....The worst lever throw is on an Win. 1895 in .30-40 I own.

In the 70s, I owned a Marlin 444 and liked it. The problem with it is that you have to be very careful what you hunt with it. Oh, you can hunt anything but if you hit a 250lb deer like you were firing a 30cal, it makes quite a bit of mess on the other side. I was already doing neck shots where the least amount of useable meet was wasted so it was no big thing. But I sold the rifle to a friend (and I told him don't shoot a deer in the heart under 100 yds) and his Father in Law hit a deer at about 50 yds.
What a mess.

Hornady makes a 265 gr load I'm reading really good things about. I'm gonna get some feedback from the Marlin Owner's forum first.

When I had mine, about the only thing available was the recartridged 44 mag bullets.

I remember that back in the day the Remington fodder was using 240gr bullets made for .44 magnum revolver ammo and they did not fair well.

It was something about the jackets were too thin and I guess that is what accounted for the "mess".

One author back then said that the 444 looked really bad on the ballistic charts against the 30 cals until you factored into the bullet density and the it had more of a knockdown at 300 yds than a 300 win mag had at 100 yds.

Forum List

Back