1944 Soviet PU Re-Sniper

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
s 012 (2).JPG

These were brought in by Samco around 20 years ago. They were former Soviet sniper rifles that were sent to Yugoslavia.

This one has a WW-2 era Soviet scope/mount/base. It has a excellent bore and exceptional trigger.

The scopes were numbered to the rifle and the scope's number stamped on the side of the barrel shank to designate it as a PU sniper..

When the rifles were shipped the scopes were dismounted and shipped separately then remounted by the Yugos with no regard to matching the scope with the rifle.

s 010 (2).JPG

s 006 (2).JPG

View attachment 775511

These were brought in by Samco around 20 years ago. They were former Soviet sniper rifles that were sent to Yugoslavia.

This one has a WW-2 era Soviet scope/mount/base. It has a excellent bore and exceptional trigger.

The scopes were numbered to the rifle and the scope's number stamped on the side of the barrel shank to designate it as a PU sniper..

When the rifles were shipped the scopes were dismounted and shipped separately then remounted by the Yugos with no regard to matching the scope with the rifle.

View attachment 775514

View attachment 775513

I have a vietnam bringback with capture papers from a friend of mine who was with 5th Group.

I found some pictures I took a long time ago. I added the sling. When I got it, it had none.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 16
View attachment 775511

View attachment 775514

View attachment 775513
I remember them being for sale and thought about getting one. Any WWII rifle with a scope is worth getting.

However, at the time I was getting rid of my Mosin. I had shot it for several years and was quite frankly tired of dealing with the recoil. I decided no more Mosins.

I have a vietnam bringback with capture papers from a friend of mine who was with 5th Group.
I brought back an SKS but alass a tale of woe. It has Chinese markings on it. Almost new.

I brought it back in December of of 1968 when I came home on leave. Carried it on the plane from San Francisco to Tampa. Nobody said anything. I also had a brown paper bag of 7.62 x 39. About 160 rounds. In those day you couldn't get the ammo in the states.

I let my friend keep it when I went back to Vietnam. I was discharged in April of 1970.

I came home to Haines City Florida and retrieved the gun. A couple of weeks after I came home I drove to Orlando to meet my brother. On the way over I stopped at a camera store on Orange Blossom Trail to buy some some film for my camera. The gun was lying in the back seat. While I was in the store somebody broke into my car and stole the gun.

Before going into the Army in 1966 we never locked our vehicles in Central Florida. In fact my windows were down and I didn't think anything about it. I learned a lesson.

However, they didn't take the bag with the ammo. I later sold the ammo for a dollar a round to a gun dealer in Lakeland, which was a lot of money in 1970. $160 in 1970 is like a thousand dollars now. Years later when they started importing all those SKS you get ammo for less than 10 cents a round.

I do have Montagnard crossbow and a quiver of arrows that I managed to keep all these years.

I found some pictures I took a long time ago. I added the sling. When I got it, it had none.
Interesting, a example of a refurbed PU sent to a client state.

I have a M44 bringback that was set into a laminated stock (most all laminated stocks are post WW-2) during the refurb process and then sent to a Vietnam.

bb 001 (2).JPG

I was lucky and actually found a pic of one in use. I bet if the sun had not been hitting it just right the lamination would not have shown.

tumblr_m36ts1_N5_HE1qg5z8jo1_500.png

View attachment 775511

View attachment 775514

View attachment 775513

It's got the turned-down bolt handle, too. But don't these eject straight up? The spent casing doesn't hit the scope?

I brought back an SKS but alass a tale of woe. It has Chinese markings on it. Almost new.

I brought it back in December of of 1968 when I came home on leave. Carried it on the plane from San Francisco to Tampa. Nobody said anything. I also had a brown paper bag of 7.62 x 39. About 160 rounds. In those day you couldn't get the ammo in the states.

I let my friend keep it when I went back to Vietnam. I was discharged in April of 1970.

I came home to Haines City Florida and retrieved the gun. A couple of weeks after I came home I drove to Orlando to meet my brother. On the way over I stopped at a camera store on Orange Blossom Trail to buy some some film for my camera. The gun was lying in the back seat. While I was in the store somebody broke into my car and stole the gun.

Before going into the Army in 1966 we never locked our vehicles in Central Florida. In fact my windows were down and I didn't think anything about it. I learned a lesson.

However, they didn't take the bag with the ammo. I later sold the ammo for a dollar a round to a gun dealer in Lakeland, which was a lot of money in 1970. $160 in 1970 is like a thousand dollars now. Years later when they started importing all those SKS you get ammo for less than 10 cents a round.

I do have Montagnard crossbow and a quiver of arrows that I managed to keep all these years.

I hate hearing about things like that. I have the 'yard crossbow he gave me as well. They are pretty neat things.

Interesting, a example of a refurbed PU sent to a client state.

I have a M44 bringback that was set into a laminated stock (most all laminated stocks are post WW-2) during the refurb process and then sent to a Vietnam.

View attachment 775560

I was lucky and actually found a pic of one in use. I bet if the sun had not been hitting it just right the lamination would not have shown.

View attachment 775557

Yup. The laminated stocks are all post war. Well, post WWII.

It's claimed that some were used in late '45 for trials.

Funny thing about what the Soviets considered "trials", when the M44 was fielded as a trials carbine in '43 there were 50K of them issued.

I have never seen documentation supporting that claim though.

Forum List

Back