1926 Remington Model 11 w/"Suicide Safety"

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
My local pawn shop was cleaning out the gun room and forfeiting pawns and overdue layaways and asked me if I wanted a Model 11 with a bulged barrel.

I checked it out, measured it, and found I could get 18.50" out of it and salvage the front sight. That and I had another barrel at home I thought might work on it....I did, a 28" with a Polychoke that I found years ago.

So I bought it ($180) and took it home and got to work on the barrel, cut it to 18.50" and removed the sight from the stub and installed it......The sight is very hard to remove on the Model 11s without breaking it. I also took it apart and cleaned it.

I took it down to my range and tested it with both barrels.....GTG. :)

26 001 (2).JPG

26 002 (2).JPG

26 001 (3).JPG

The "suicide" safety......It's very quick if you know how to deal with them. Remington went to the cross-bolt safety sometime in the 1930s.

My local pawn shop was cleaning out the gun room and forfeiting pawns and overdue layaways and asked me if I wanted a Model 11 with a bulged barrel.

I checked it out, measured it, and found I could get 18.50" out of it and salvage the front sight. That and I had another barrel at home I thought might work on it....I did, a 28" with a Polychoke that I found years ago.

So I bought it ($180) and took it home and got to work on the barrel, cut it to 18.50" and removed the sight from the stub and installed it......The sight is very hard to remove on the Model 11s without breaking it. I also took it apart and cleaned it.

I took it down to my range and tested it with both barrels.....GTG. :)

View attachment 683667

View attachment 683668

View attachment 683669

The "suicide" safety......It's very quick if you know how to deal with them. Remington went to the cross-bolt safety sometime in the 1930s.

Nice! I had one almost like that a few years ago, but it was a Stevens Model 520. It had the same Browning hump and the suicide safety, and was a takedown model...

1660742642507.png

J Gaut
Nice! I had one almost like that a few years ago, but it was a Stevens Model 520. It had the same Browning hump and the suicide safety, and was a takedown model...

I have a old 20s era Marlin Model 43 take-down along the same lines.

View attachment 683680

What in God's name is that thing on the bottom?

It's a real WW-1 "trench mag".

Vintage Saturday: Trench Mag
Yet the bolt isn't bent..interesting. I've seen Mausers that were older with bent bolts.

Probably Rough Rider guns. "Fabrique De Armas" from before 1918.

Does that "trench mag" cycle well?

Tell ya what, Mausers are the standerd for reliable cycling.

The stock mags? Yeah, it's going to cycle reliably and quickly. One of the best actions ever, oh!

It's so tight and so good!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back