1914 WWI Explosives - Research

Admirari

Rookie
Jan 20, 2017
I am a published author of historical fiction, and currently writing my 5th novel set in 1914, Italy, just after the outbreak of WWI. I have a scenario where I need advice on the correct use of explosives to destroy a wooden 73' yacht (Yawl) moored at a jetty in central Italy.

Scenario.
German operatives want to destroy a yacht at a specific moment in a public marina, when the two owners are aboard. It is evening, 9:00pm and dark. The couple return and climb aboard, and the boat explodes with the intent of destroying the yacht and killing the two people. The boat has a diesel engine, with a 100 gallon capacity, situated aft. Presumably there could be paraffin lamps aboard.

Questions
1. What type of explosives were used, and what quantity?
2. Where were the explosives placed? Waterproof?
3. How were the explosives detonated at the exact and correct moment?
4. How large was the blast in relation to the amount of explosives used? Collateral damage?
5. Did the German's have their own technique and method in the use of explosives?
6. Am I missing something? :)

Thank you for your help. I can change the story to create a realistic scenario, as accuracy is important. I hope someone here has this knowledge to contribute

Thank you .

I am a published author of historical fiction, and currently writing my 5th novel set in 1914, Italy, just after the outbreak of WWI. I have a scenario where I need advice on the correct use of explosives to destroy a wooden 73' yacht (Yawl) moored at a jetty in central Italy.

Scenario.
German operatives want to destroy a yacht at a specific moment in a public marina, when the two owners are aboard. It is evening, 9:00pm and dark. The couple return and climb aboard, and the boat explodes with the intent of destroying the yacht and killing the two people. The boat has a diesel engine, with a 100 gallon capacity, situated aft. Presumably there could be paraffin lamps aboard.

Questions
4. How large was the blast in relation to the amount of explosives used? Collateral damage?
5. Did the German's have their own technique and method in the use of explosives?

Thank you for your help. I can change the story to create a realistic scenario, as accuracy is important. I hope someone here has this knowledge to contribute

Thank you .

Honestly dynamite would be the most common in use at the time for the type of mission you have them doing. How big a blast do you want? The more the dynamite, the bigger the bang. Answer that question and we can continue.

Scenario.

Questions

Thank you .

I want the boat destroyed including the Radio's aboard, and killing the two people. Therefore the blast must be substantial.

Honestly dynamite would be the most common in use at the time for the type of mission you have them doing. How big a blast do you want? The more the dynamite, the bigger the bang. Answer that question and we can continue.

I want the boat destroyed including the Radio's aboard, and killing the two people. Therefore the blast must be substantial.

In that case the saboteurs would use at least three bombs. One in the radio room, one in the engine room, and one in the bilges somewhere on whichever side is away from the dock so that when the vessel sinks it will roll away from the dock. A bomb capable of blowing the vessel to bits is simply beyond the capability for two people to move efficiently. To destroy the radio room you would need five sticks. The engine compartment would likewise require 5 sticks placed on the fuel tank. The problem you are going to have is diesel doesn't catch fire easily so you'll need some form of incendiary device to assist it, red phosphorous is your best bet and the Germans had flares that used the compound even before WWI. So add a couple of flares to get the fuel tank burning.

You would need at least ten sticks to sink the vessel if it is well constructed. Place the bomb in the bilges, underneath the stateroom where your intended victims reside, and voila, the boat sinks and they are as they say, history.

In that case the saboteurs would use at least three bombs. One in the radio room, one in the engine room, and one in the bilges somewhere on whichever side is away from the dock so that when the vessel sinks it will roll away from the dock. A bomb capable of blowing the vessel to bits is simply beyond the capability for two people to move efficiently. To destroy the radio room you would need five sticks. The engine compartment would likewise require 5 sticks placed on the fuel tank. The problem you are going to have is diesel doesn't catch fire easily so you'll need some form of incendiary device to assist it, red phosphorous is your best bet and the Germans had flares that used the compound even before WWI. So add a couple of flares to get the fuel tank burning.

You would need at least ten sticks to sink the vessel if it is well constructed. Place the bomb in the bilges, underneath the stateroom where your intended victims reside, and voila, the boat sinks and they are as they say, history.

This is wonderful, thank you. How do the Germans synchronise the detonation?

Forum List

Back