1619 Project

Yes, I wish I had seen it, McRib .

Stryder50 provides above a useful excerpt from Wikipedia that outlines some of the many controversies that arose around the written project.

I think (and recognized immediately) that there were genuine historical errors in the original journalistic presentation of “1619.” I assume most of those were taken out or corrected in the televised program, but I’d like to see for myself. Frankly, some novel and thematic original arguments presented by the project director Nikole Hannah-Jones were rather an embarrassment to the liberal New York Times.

I would emphasize what even Stryder50 ’s Wikipedia excerpt mentioned briefly: the generally recognized errors in the original “1619 Project” were early on pointed out by black and white scholars and historians at leading universities who stood on both the left and the right, and by the majority of scholars who try to understand this tragic history critically. The errors in the “1619 Project” were also not “Marxist” in any academic or scholarly sense, but rather vaguely “black nationalist.”

Maybe after I see the documentary I will comment further, or perhaps somebody else here who sees it and has some genuine scholarly interest and knowledge of the subject, could go into the matter deeper. My guess, however, is that this message board is not a place where such an effort can be pursued in an objective and unbiased way.

Last edited:
I have never posted nor said any of those things. When you casually accuse people of being a liar without any factual basis, you demean yourself.

I merely pointed to actual factual history used by white people to enslave then abuse People of Color.
Lies you defend by refusing to tell the truth.

If that upsets you, good.
It shows you may indeed have a conscience.

Yes, I wish I had seen it, McRib .

Stryder50 provides above a useful excerpt from Wikipedia that outlines some of the many controversies that arose around the written project.

I think (and recognized immediately) that there were genuine historical errors in the original journalistic presentation of “1619.” I assume most of those were taken out or corrected in the televised program, but I’d like to see for myself. Frankly, some novel and thematic original arguments presented by the project director Nikole Hannah-Jones were rather an embarrassment to the liberal New York Times.

I would emphasize what even Stryder50 ’s Wikipedia excerpt mentioned briefly: the generally recognized errors in the original “1619 Project” were early on pointed out by black and white scholars and historians at leading universities who stood on both the left and the right, and by the majority of scholars who try to understand this tragic history critically. The errors in the “1619 Project” were also not “Marxist” in any academic or scholarly sense, but rather vaguely “black nationalist.”

Maybe after I see the documentary I will comment further, or perhaps somebody else here who sees it and has some genuine scholarly interest and knowledge of the subject, could go into the matter deeper. My guess, however, is that this message board is not a place where such an effort can be pursued in an objective and unbiased way.
GIGO

“The 1619 project is neither history nor factual. It was conceived and written by a journalist as a political piece. That's why historians object to its nonsense.” — EvilCat Breath

Most expert scholarly historians objected to some of the assertions and views in the “1619 Project” — but as far as I know the verdict on the documentary presented on Hulu is not in yet.

Many of the same historians who criticized parts of the original “1619 Project” articles in the Sunday New York Times as wrongheaded nonsense … also maintained a generally sympathetic view toward its educational aim to broaden popular knowledge of other under-appreciated aspects of America’s tragic racial history, whose legacy we still live with.

Last edited:
Most expert scholarly historians objected to some of the assertions and views in the “1619 Project” — but as far as I know the verdict on the documentary presented on Hulu is not in yet.

Many of the same historians who criticized parts of the original “1619 Project” articles in the Sunday New York Times as wrongheaded nonsense … also maintained a generally sympathetic view toward its educational aim to broaden popular knowledge of other under-appreciated aspects of this sad and tragic history, whose legacy we still live with.
I do not live in the past.

This 3 hour episode aired last night on ABC. I watched the first half of this last night and was very impressed, from the archive footage, to the overturning of the Voting Rights law by a conservative Supreme Court, to gerrymandering, to the fight for civil rights, this is not a finger pointing, accusatory series, but instead is a measured, fact based review of the struggle black Americans have faced since their arrival in this country. I'm looking forward to the watching the 2nd half of this and highly recommend it.

I believe if you have Hulu then there is a much more in depth, 6 hour version available.

What does any of this have to do with 1619?

World history is full of things that should never have happened. These Reparation campaigns are a complete waste of time and distracts us from the many real problems we are facing.
That’s the white man thing. Do nothing if it doesn’t affect you. Elections get stolen all the time. Let’s not do anything about it.

We've been doing that for over 200 years.
Maybe it's time for the truth.
We are a nation of many cultures with most who are white having no relationship in their family trees at all to what happen.

The 1619 project is neither history nor factual. It was conceived and written by a journalist as a political piece. That's why historians object to its nonsense.
It IS history
And while some of the facts may be skewed it is far less skewed than
In Fourteen Hundred and ninetytwo
Columbus sailed the ocean blue

AND if the facts make you feel bad then, perhaps, you should investigate those feelings rather than attack the cause.

What does any of this have to do with 1619?
Not sure what you are asking here. In 1619 a first shipment of 20-30 African slaves arrived aboard a British ship in Virginia. With other ships of African slaves to follow and their enslaved descendants working on plantations and eventually as domestics and even artisans, agricultural and social life in the South was transformed in profound ways, ways that effected and eventually infected our whole country.

Actually black slaves were first brought by the Spanish into North America way back in 1526 (there may even have been a free African or two on Columbus’ ships) — but the 1619 date is a convenient one and more or less a natural storytelling hook used by the editors of the 1619 Project to frame their own African-American-centered history of the “real” founding and subsequent development of our country and society. Some of this language about a “real founding” moment was subsequently dropped, but the “project” I believe still aims at highlighting and presenting African-American stories, much as other histories highlight “Labor” voices or “the voices of the people.”

Has anyone here really read much of these new educational
materials and essays?

The authors of the essays that made up the original 100 page NY Times Special Edition, and most of the early educational materials created for courses based on it, were intentionally written by African Americans and stressed the African-American experience. They argued that a full and accurate description of our country’s history can’t simply begin in 1776 with the American Revolution being led by “Enlightened” revolutionary “Founding Fathers,” nor with the Pilgrims on the Mayflower.

The TV Hulu documentary evidently tries to be as broad and ambitious as the whole “1619 Project” once aspired to be. It may start in 1619 but proceeds right up to modern times. Probably worth watching — with open unbiased eyes — if one has the time.

Last edited:
We are a nation of many cultures with most who are white having no relationship in their family trees at all to what happen.
Then why are you upset about the actual factual truth being told?
I mean if you and yours are guiltless.

Forum List

Back