151 years ago today: Democrats founded and staffed the Ku Klux Klan

In 1860 states rights and the right to remain a slave state were synonymous. They were equivalent.

Wake up.
Not synonymous, no, but the the right to have slaves did fall under that category.

If slavery had nothing to do with secession, why was it only the major slave states that seceded?

Coincidence? lol
I phrased it wrong, it was a factor, but not the biggest factor. It was only brought to the forefront of issues when Lincoln tried to free them as a war measure, for more man-power and to cripple the southern economy.

It was not just the biggest factor, it was the only factor.
It wasn't the only factor, it wasn't even brought to the forefront until Lincoln wanted to abolish it as a war measure. Secession had been discussed long before the war, as Pogo mentioned earlier.

As you probably know, a real Democrat, Andrew Jackson, had this response to the question of secession:

"During Jackson's term, South Carolina has threatened to nullify a federal law, or secede from the union, he offered this warning: "Please give my compliments to my friends in your state, and say to them that if a single drop of blood shall be shed there in opposition to the laws of the United States, I will hang the first man I can lay my hand on engaged in such treasonable conduct, upon the first tree I can reach."

"Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren, 7th and 8th Presidents of The United States,"

by WILLIAM O. STODDARD, p. 217

Are the squalling liberal crybabies STILL trying to pretend that, since the half-dozen founders of the Ku Klux Klan carefully concealed their party affiliation, this means that suddenly they weren't Democrats?

And that the bulk of the people who joined the group, recruited their friends, wore the robes burned the crosses, and lynched the black people... weren't Democrats, even though they were?

Have the liberal crybabies any idea how silly they look, expecting normal people to believe their hysterical rants?

Not synonymous, no, but the the right to have slaves did fall under that category.

If slavery had nothing to do with secession, why was it only the major slave states that seceded?

Coincidence? lol
I phrased it wrong, it was a factor, but not the biggest factor. It was only brought to the forefront of issues when Lincoln tried to free them as a war measure, for more man-power and to cripple the southern economy.

It was not just the biggest factor, it was the only factor.
It wasn't the only factor, it wasn't even brought to the forefront until Lincoln wanted to abolish it as a war measure. Secession had been discussed long before the war, as Pogo mentioned earlier.

As you probably know, a real Democrat, Andrew Jackson, had this response to the question of secession:

"During Jackson's term, South Carolina has threatened to nullify a federal law, or secede from the union, he offered this warning: "Please give my compliments to my friends in your state, and say to them that if a single drop of blood shall be shed there in opposition to the laws of the United States, I will hang the first man I can lay my hand on engaged in such treasonable conduct, upon the first tree I can reach."

"Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren, 7th and 8th Presidents of The United States,"

by WILLIAM O. STODDARD, p. 217

True enough, and Jackson is usually counted as the first Democrat and founder of the Party.

But the question of secession was being openly advocated in (at least) South Carolina as far back as 1828, over the original Tariiff as passed by the Quincy Adams administration. Jackson, after taking office the next year, had come up with a compromise that didn't really mitigate the SC objections but at least put the lid on the idea of secession. His Vice President Calhoun actually resigned so he could run for Senate where he could more effectively oppose Jackson on it.

In any case the original point was that secession had been seriously contemplated at least as far back as 1828, and that particular issue had nothing to do with slavery. This was offered in opposition to the steamroller effects of the popular penchant for context-free history, which tries to claim the South simply woke up one day and went, "oh Lincoln won? well let's secede then" as if the Civil War had no progenitors and simply popped up out of thin air on a whim.

Are the squalling liberal crybabies STILL trying to pretend that, since the half-dozen founders of the Ku Klux Klan carefully concealed their party affiliation, this means that suddenly they weren't Democrats?

And that the bulk of the people who joined the group, recruited their friends, wore the robes burned the crosses, and lynched the black people... weren't Democrats, even though they were?

Have the liberal crybabies any idea how silly they look, expecting normal people to believe their hysterical rants?

Has the OP come to terms yet with the fact that he has brought a total of one (1) link, and that that link disproves his own claim, and that he is powerless to find any such documentation?

Or is he still swimming in the soup bubble of his own Eliminationist fantasy?

Poor little nut. :itsok:

Has the OP come to terms yet with the fact that he has brought a total of one (1) link, and that that link disproves his own claim, and that he is powerless to find any such documentation?
Bingo, I was right again. :2up:

You must like losing.

Shall we run the post that incited the same OP to abandon his own similarly bullshitious thread from today?

Why not. Roll 'em.

===============================

Perhaps the OP would care to essplain why neither he --- nor anyone else --- has ever been able to find any evidence of a political party affiliation, or any political activity at all, for the six Confederate veteran soldiers who actually founded the Klan: Calvin Jones, Frank McCord, Capt.John Lester, Capt. John B. Kennedy, James Crowe OR Richard Reed, on 25 December 1865 --- as an innocuous social club having nothing to do with either race or politics --- in Jones' father's law office at 205 West Madison Street in Pulaski Tennessee.... details of which the OP remains entirely ignorant unless he consults one of my posts.

Perhaps he'd be inclined at the same time to essplain why he kept running his Christmas OP complete with a link that contradicts his own claim, right there in the same post.

Mayhaps the OP would be delighted to entertain us on why a group affiliated with the Democratic Party would be running -- and electing -- Republican candidates. Such as Rice Means in Colorado. Such as Ed Jackson in Indiana. Such as Owen Brewster in Maine. Such as George Baker in Oregon. Such as Clarence Morley in Colorado. Such as Hodgdon Buzzell, John G. Smith and a host of local candidates in Maine. Such as the entire Anaheim City Council. Such as virtually the entire state of Indiana.

Or, maybe the OP would prefer to enlighten the class on why the Klan got Jack Walton (D-OK) removed from his Governor post after he tried to drive them out of the state after the infamous Tulsa Race Riots. Or why the Klan tried to derail the leading voice denouncing the Klan Oscar Underwood (D-AL) in the 1924 convention who, along with Al Smith (D-NY) called for a party platform denouncing the Klan by name. Or maybe the OP would rather tell us why Huey Long (D-LA) threatened the Klan Kleagle of the time that if he came to Louisiana to campaign against Long he'd be "leaving with his toes turned up". Or perhaps the OP would care to tell us why the guy who infiltrated the Klan, worked against them with the FBI, wrote an exposé book about it, and then wrote ridiculing scripts for the popular "Superman" radio show was Stetson Kennedy (D-FL).

No doubt the OP will leap at the chance to clear up the conflicting history on why Governor Ellis Arnall (D-GA) prosecuted the Klan with the help of Harry Truman (D-MO) and got its state charter revoked, describing it as a "national eyesore". Or why Klan Grand Kleagle Hiram Evans took credit for getting Herbert Hoover (R-IA) elected President over Al Smith (D-NY).

Optionally, the OP might venture to clarify why a "Democratic Party operation" would be persecuting not just blacks but Jews, Catholics, labor unions, gays and immigrants in general --- all of which were and are the party's own constituents.

No doubt the OP has volumes to say about how the first POTUS to prosecute the Klan since Grant was Lyndon Johnson (D-TX) who had to pull J. Edgar Hoover out of his McCarthy-era communists-under-every-bush mentality. We can expect he'll wax prolific on how LBJ as a boy watched his father and uncles sit up with shotguns defending the house against Klan-element threats after Sam Johnson (D-TX) denounced them in the Texas State House in Austin.

And hey, maybe if the OP needs help he can consult this guy ---

Screen-Shot-2015-12-29-at-12.27.57-AM.png

Then again --- perhaps the OP will prefer to wimp out, write some more contrived drivel and declare he won the internets.

I'm betting on the latter.

================================================

I won that bet, sorta. Except he didn't write any more drivel. Just made low whimpering noises in the corner.

Liberal historian Eric Foner writes that the Klan was “…a military force serving the interests of the Democratic Party…”
Foner, “Reconstruction: America’s Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877,” p. 425

You must like losing.

Shall we run the post that incited the same OP to abandon his own similarly bullshitious thread from today?

Why not. Roll 'em.

Perhaps the OP would care to essplain why neither he --- nor anyone else --- has ever been able to find any evidence of a political party affiliation, or any political activity at all, for the six Confederate veteran soldiers who actually founded the Klan: Calvin Jones, Frank McCord, Capt.John Lester, Capt. John B. Kennedy, James Crowe OR Richard Reed, on 25 December 1865 --- as an innocuous social club having nothing to do with either race or politics --- in Jones' father's law office at 205 West Madison Street in Pulaski Tennessee.... details of which the OP remains entirely ignorant unless he consults one of my posts.

Perhaps he'd be inclined at the same time to essplain why he kept running his Christmas OP complete with a link that contradicts his own claim, right there in the same post.

Mayhaps the OP would be delighted to entertain us on why a group affiliated with the Democratic Party would be running -- and electing -- Republican candidates. Such as Rice Means in Colorado. Such as Ed Jackson in Indiana. Such as Owen Brewster in Maine. Such as George Baker in Oregon. Such as Clarence Morley in Colorado. Such as Hodgdon Buzzell, John G. Smith and a host of local candidates in Maine. Such as the entire Anaheim City Council. Such as virtually the entire state of Indiana.

Or, maybe the OP would prefer to enlighten the class on why the Klan got Jack Walton (D-OK) removed from his Governor post after he tried to drive them out of the state after the infamous Tulsa Race Riots. Or why the Klan tried to derail the leading voice denouncing the Klan Oscar Underwood (D-AL) in the 1924 convention who, along with Al Smith (D-NY) called for a party platform denouncing the Klan by name. Or maybe the OP would rather tell us why Huey Long (D-LA) threatened the Klan Kleagle of the time that if he came to Louisiana to campaign against Long he'd be "leaving with his toes turned up". Or perhaps the OP would care to tell us why the guy who infiltrated the Klan, worked against them with the FBI, wrote an exposé book about it, and then wrote ridiculing scripts for the popular "Superman" radio show was Stetson Kennedy (D-FL).

No doubt the OP will leap at the chance to clear up the conflicting history on why Governor Ellis Arnall (D-GA) prosecuted the Klan with the help of Harry Truman (D-MO) and got its state charter revoked, describing it as a "national eyesore". Or why Klan Grand Kleagle Hiram Evans took credit for getting Herbert Hoover (R-IA) elected President over Al Smith (D-NY).

Optionally, the OP might venture to clarify why a "Democratic Party operation" would be persecuting not just blacks but Jews, Catholics, labor unions, gays and immigrants in general --- all of which were and are the party's own constituents.

No doubt the OP has volumes to say about how the first POTUS to prosecute the Klan since Grant was Lyndon Johnson (D-TX) who had to pull J. Edgar Hoover out of his McCarthy-era communists-under-every-bush mentality. We can expect he'll wax prolific on how LBJ as a boy watched his father and uncles sit up with shotguns defending the house against Klan-element threats after Sam Johnson (D-TX) denounced them in the Texas State House in Austin.

Then again --- perhaps the OP will prefer to wimp out, write some more contrived drivel and declare he won the internets.

I won that bet, sorta. Except he didn't write any more drivel. Just made low whimpering noises in the corner.

David Duke....the Democrat????

State Senator, 1975 (Baton Rouge Area)[edit]
Threshold > 50%

First Ballot, November 1, 1975

Louisiana State Senate, 1975
Party Candidate Votes %
Democratic Kenneth Osterberger 22,287 66
Democratic David Duke 11,079 33
N/A Others 1
Total 100
State Senator, 10th District, 1979 (Suburban New Orleans)[edit]
Threshold > 50% First Ballot, October 27, 1979

Louisiana State Senate, 10th District, 1979
Party Candidate Votes %
Democratic Joseph Tiemann 21,329 57
Democratic David Duke 9,897 26
N/A Others 6,459 17
Total 37,685 100
Democratic Nomination for United States Presidential Candidate, 1988 (Louisiana results)[edit]
Threshold = Plurality

1988 Democratic Presidential primary in Louisiana
Party Candidate Votes %
Democratic Jesse Jackson 221,522 35
Democratic Al Gore 174,971 28
Democratic Michael Dukakis 95,661 15
Democratic Dick Gephardt 67,029 11
Democratic Gary Hart 26,437 4
Democratic David Duke 23,391 4
Democratic Others 16,008 3
Total 625,019 100
Electoral history of David Duke - Wikipedia

So when did blacks start voting for Democrats? When reconstruction ended and federal troops were pulled back. Why did they start voting for Democrats? That's easy. They did so to keep from getting lynched.

Nope..
The black vote shifted from traditionally Republican to traditionally Democratic in the 1930s, specific to a POTUS election in 1936, and has been there 80 years.

Lynchings, as I've gone over in the past in this thread (and it's instructive to see exactly who objected to that thread) were going on before, during and after that date. While they were a scourge on American history and a stark manifestation of human psychology --- they weren't a factor here.

There are 13 Congressional Volumes which detail how the KKK was formed as the terrorist wing of the Democratic Party for the express purpose of taking back their statehouses from BLACK REPUBLICANS through force and intimidation.

Nope.
There are those Congressional volumes ---- and we did this already ---- I have my own copy here. But they do not "detail how the KKK was formed as the terrorist wing of the Democratic Party for blah blah blah", in fact they do not detail how it was formed at all. I invited you to cite me a page number. I never got one. I've already perused them anyway.

This was -- or would have been -- the only part of the post relevant to the topic. If you can find such a reference ----- rather than some blogger claiming it exists yet can't show it ---- maybe it still can be.
Which proves exactly nothing. The more Republican the south became the less racist the south became.

The OP and his fellow travellers claim that the Democratic Party is racist and horrible to African Americans- and that the Republican Party is of course fighting for African American rights.

So why do they all think that they are soooo much smarter than African Americans?

African Americans in Presidential races vote overwhelmingly Democratic, and have done so ever since Republican nominated a man who voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Why do they vote that way?

Republicans want us to believe it is because African Americans are just stupid- and that Democrats(including African American Democrats) are lying to them- but Republicans can see through the Democrats lies- but not African Americans.

Because these Right Wing nut jobs just don't think that African Americans are quite capable of deciding who to vote for themselves.

So Massa Ding and Massa Owebo and the rest are here to tell African Americans how they should vote.
I really appreciate you giving me this platform to get the truth out.”.

You wouldn't know the truth if Jesus handed it to you on a platform. You are just pissed off that African Americans vote Democratic even when Massa Ding doesn't want them too.

The OP and his fellow travellers claim that the Democratic Party is racist and horrible to African Americans- and that the Republican Party is of course fighting for African American rights.

So why do they all think that they are soooo much smarter than African Americans?

African Americans in Presidential races vote overwhelmingly Democratic, and have done so ever since Republican nominated a man who voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Why do they vote that way?

Republicans want us to believe it is because African Americans are just stupid- and that Democrats(including African American Democrats) are lying to them- but Republicans can see through the Democrats lies- but not African Americans.

Because these Right Wing nut jobs just don't think that African Americans are quite capable of deciding who to vote for themselves.

So Massa Ding and Massa Owebo and the rest are here to tell African Americans how they should vote
lol, no. I couldn't care less who they vote for. That's between them and the Democrats. If they can't figure it out, I'm happy enough for them to keep suffering until they do.

No. That is not correct. He did not push it. He was forced into it. Republicans had been pushing it for 100 years..

LOL- I love the Animal Farm tactics of your Right wing nut job revisionist.

President Kennedy proposed the Civil Rights.
When he was assassinated President Johnson used Kennedy's death to push the Civil Rights Act. forward.

And Reagan, Bush and Goldwater- all opposed the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

A master of the art of practical politics, Lyndon Johnson came into the White House after the tragedy of President John F. Kennedy’s assassination in 1963. He was energetic, shrewd, and hugely ambitious. Clifford Alexander, Jr., deputy counsel to the president and an African American, remembered President Johnson as a larger-than-life figure who was a tough but fair taskmaster. His legislative program "had such a positive effect on black Americans [it] was breathtaking when compared to the miniscule efforts of the past." The cornerstones of that program were the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Civil rights leaders from across America led by Martin Luther King, Jr. gathered in the East Room of the White House to witness the signing of the Civil Rights Act that signified a major victory in the struggle for racial equality to which they had dedicated their lives. President Johnson also made two political appointments–Robert Weaver as secretary of Housing and Urban Development and Thurgood Marshall as associate Supreme Court justice. For the first time African Americans had positions in the Cabinet and on the Supreme Court. President Johnson appointed more black judges than any president before him and opened the White House not only to black athletes and performers but also to black religious, civic and political leaders in significant numbers. Johnson saw his place in history as being directly related to the improvement of race relations in America and according to Alexander "he was a huge success."
The Democratic Party founded the KKK for the express purpose to taking back the state houses of the south after the Civil War through terror and intimidation.
"

Except of course as you know it- that is a lie.

The Democratic Party never founded the KKK.

6 white men.
6 white Christian men.
6 white Christian Southern men.
6 white Christian Southern Confederate Veteran men- found the KKK

No evidence that they were Democrats at all.

Of course you don't say Christians founded the KKK- because that doesn't work with your racist agenda. Nor do you say Southerners founded the KKK, because that doesn't work with your racist agenda.

Meanwhile what you are desperately trying to avoid is what African Americans think of the Republican Party- which is that you are now the party of the KKK

Just as Martin Luther King Jr. said you are

The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right
Why do you keep denying the racist heritage of the Democratic Party?
n
Why do you are you calling Martin Luther King Jr. a liar?
The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right[/
I don't. I call you a liar. MLK was a Republican!

So when did blacks start voting for Democrats? When reconstruction ended and federal troops were pulled back. Why did they start voting for Democrats? That's easy. They did so to keep from getting lynched.

Nope..
The black vote shifted from traditionally Republican to traditionally Democratic in the 1930s, specific to a POTUS election in 1936, and has been there 80 years.

Lynchings, as I've gone over in the past in this thread (and it's instructive to see exactly who objected to that thread) were going on before, during and after that date. While they were a scourge on American history and a stark manifestation of human psychology --- they weren't a factor here.

There are 13 Congressional Volumes which detail how the KKK was formed as the terrorist wing of the Democratic Party for the express purpose of taking back their statehouses from BLACK REPUBLICANS through force and intimidation.

Nope.
There are those Congressional volumes ---- and we did this already ---- I have my own copy here. But they do not "detail how the KKK was formed as the terrorist wing of the Democratic Party for blah blah blah", in fact they do not detail how it was formed at all. I invited you to cite me a page number. I never got one. I've already perused them anyway.

This was -- or would have been -- the only part of the post relevant to the topic. If you can find such a reference ----- rather than some blogger claiming it exists yet can't show it ---- maybe it still can be.
Which proves exactly nothing. The more Republican the south became the less racist the south became.

Whatever that line wants to be referring to ---- it doesn't answer the point above at all.

However to entertain it for the moment outside that parameter, two words: "'David Duke".

When he was assassinated President Johnson used Kennedy's death to push the Civil Rights Act. forward.

A master of the art of practical politics, Lyndon Johnson came into the White House after the tragedy of President John F. Kennedy’s assassination in 1963. He was energetic, shrewd, and hugely ambitious. Clifford Alexander, Jr., deputy counsel to the president and an African American, remembered President Johnson as a larger-than-life figure who was a tough but fair taskmaster. His legislative program "had such a positive effect on black Americans [it] was breathtaking when compared to the miniscule efforts of the past." The cornerstones of that program were the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Civil rights leaders from across America led by Martin Luther King, Jr. gathered in the East Room of the White House to witness the signing of the Civil Rights Act that signified a major victory in the struggle for racial equality to which they had dedicated their lives. President Johnson also made two political appointments–Robert Weaver as secretary of Housing and Urban Development and Thurgood Marshall as associate Supreme Court justice. For the first time African Americans had positions in the Cabinet and on the Supreme Court. President Johnson appointed more black judges than any president before him and opened the White House not only to black athletes and performers but also to black religious, civic and political leaders in significant numbers. Johnson saw his place in history as being directly related to the improvement of race relations in America and according to Alexander "he was a huge success."
The Democratic Party founded the KKK for the express purpose to taking back the state houses of the south after the Civil War through terror and intimidation.
"

6 white men.
6 white Christian men.

Of course you don't say Christians founded the KKK- because that doesn't work with your racist agenda. Nor do you say Southerners founded the KKK, because that doesn't work with your racist agenda.

Meanwhile what you are desperately trying to avoid is what African Americans think of the Republican Party- which is that you are now the party of the KKK

The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right
n
The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right[/

Bullshit. Link your evidence.

Wanna see mine?

>> I have few regrets in my life. At the top of the list is the demise of two children in my womb, and one miscarriage. Next to that, I regret having said to a group of peers that my Uncle M. L. (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.) was a Republican. My Grandfather, Dr. Martin Luther King, Sr. was a registered Republican. Uncle M. L. was an independent. I assumed that since Granddaddy was a Republican, Uncle M. L. was too. After all, before the election of President John F. Kennedy, the majority of African American voters were Republicans*. Granddaddy convinced a large block of Blacks to vote for President John Kennedy after he helped to get my uncle out of jail during those turbulent days. Uncle M. L. tended to vote Democrat, but remained independent because he found weaknesses in both parties. The truth of the matter is that God isn't a Republican or a Democrat or a Tea Party voter. God doesn't vote. The squabbling and division among the parties is tragic. << -- Alveda King: 'Put the Political Strife Out to Pasture'

Which aligns with what King himself said:

>> I don’t think the Republican party is a party full of the almighty God nor is the Democratic party. They both have weaknesses.
And I’m not inextricably bound to either party. I’m not concerned about telling you what party to vote for. But what I’m saying is this, that we must gain the ballot and use it wisely2.”

(2. During a sermon in Atlanta one month earlier, King revealed that he had been offered money by both political parties to rally black voters for the 1956 election: They told me they had $75,000 to spend towards obtaining the Negro vote. A large part of this money would have been set aside for my own advantage. I studied their offers long and prayed over it again and again. Then I told them I couldn’t do it. I knew it would have given me anopportunity to educate my children and would have given me my first possessions in the world, but I could not sacrifice my soul in the structure of partisan politics” (“King Warns Leaders Of PartisanPolitics,” Montgomery Advertiser, 14 January 1958). << -- Interview transcript here
--- and of course that letter to a supporter that said:

>> Thanks for your very kind letter of September 17, making inquiry concerning the way the Negro will vote in the coming election. I am of the impression that the Negro voter will go largely for the Democratic Party.​

I haven’t fully decided which candidate I will vote for. In the past I have always voted the Democratic ticket. At this point I am still in a state of indecision. Stevenson seems to be more forthright on the race question than Eisenhower, but the Democratic Party is so inexplicably bound to the South that it does leave doubt in the minds of those interested in civil rights. Let us all hope that the candidate most concerned with the welfare for all people of America will win the election.

Sincerely yours,
M. L. King, Jr.,
President
(letter to Viva Sloan, 2 October 1956) << -- The Martin Luther King Jr. Papers

* - actually Alveda King is wrong here too; African Americans started voting toward the Democratic Party early in FDR's administration. They did spike in 1964 but the pattern was already established for three decades. We've done this before too. Part of the evolution/devolution of the two parties since the 19th century noted earlier.

Watcha got?

"

6 white men.
6 white Christian men.

n

Wanna see mine?

>> I have few regrets in my life. At the top of the list is the demise of two children in my womb, and one miscarriage. Next to that, I regret having said to a group of peers that my Uncle M. L. (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.) was a Republican. My Grandfather, Dr. Martin Luther King, Sr. was a registered Republican. Uncle M. L. was an independent. I assumed that since Granddaddy was a Republican, Uncle M. L. was too. After all, before the election of President John F. Kennedy, the majority of African American voters were Republicans*. Granddaddy convinced a large block of Blacks to vote for President John Kennedy after he helped to get my uncle out of jail during those turbulent days. Uncle M. L. tended to vote Democrat, but remained independent because he found weaknesses in both parties. The truth of the matter is that God isn't a Republican or a Democrat or a Tea Party voter. God doesn't vote. The squabbling and division among the parties is tragic. << -- Alveda King: 'Put the Political Strife Out to Pasture'

>> I don’t think the Republican party is a party full of the almighty God nor is the Democratic party. They both have weaknesses.
And I’m not inextricably bound to either party. I’m not concerned about telling you what party to vote for. But what I’m saying is this, that we must gain the ballot and use it wisely2.”

(2. During a sermon in Atlanta one month earlier, King revealed that he had been offered money by both political parties to rally black voters for the 1956 election: They told me they had $75,000 to spend towards obtaining the Negro vote. A large part of this money would have been set aside for my own advantage. I studied their offers long and prayed over it again and again. Then I told them I couldn’t do it. I knew it would have given me anopportunity to educate my children and would have given me my first possessions in the world, but I could not sacrifice my soul in the structure of partisan politics” (“King Warns Leaders Of PartisanPolitics,” Montgomery Advertiser, 14 January 1958). << -- Interview transcript here

>> Thanks for your very kind letter of September 17, making inquiry concerning the way the Negro will vote in the coming election. I am of the impression that the Negro voter will go largely for the Democratic Party.​

I haven’t fully decided which candidate I will vote for. In the past I have always voted the Democratic ticket. At this point I am still in a state of indecision. Stevenson seems to be more forthright on the race question than Eisenhower, but the Democratic Party is so inexplicably bound to the South that it does leave doubt in the minds of those interested in civil rights. Let us all hope that the candidate most concerned with the welfare for all people of America will win the election.

Sincerely yours,
M. L. King, Jr.,
President

* - actually Alveda King is wrong here too; African Americans started voting toward the Democratic Party early in FDR's administration. They did spike in 1964 but the pattern was already established for three decades. We've done this before too. Part of the evolution/devolution of the two parties since the 19th century noted earlier.

Watcha got?
He wouldn't have been a filthy racist Democrat like you.

Time and time again, liberals claim that MLK was a Democrat. Liberals point to the people he associated with or that he opposed Barry Goldwater as proof that MLK was a Democrat. There is considerable evidence that he was not a Democrat. Martin Luther King Sr. was a Republican, that would almost certainly make his son a Republican. Only after his son was arrested did King Sr. plead to President Kennedy for his safe release. It is noted at that point MLK Sr. switched parties to support Kennedy. This despite Kennedy voting against the 1957 Civil Rights Act and being initially opposed to the 1963 March on Washington by Dr. King. The March on Washington was organized by A. Phillip Randolph, who was a black Republican. In addition, Robert Kennedy allowed the FBI to wiretap MLK Jr's phone on a trial basis due to suspicion that Dr. King's associates were Communist; this was later expanded during Lyndon B. Johnson's presidency; which undermined King.[11][12]

Martin Luther King - Conservapedia

Last edited:

6 white men.
6 white Christian men.

n

Wanna see mine?

Sincerely yours,
M. L. King, Jr.,
President

Watcha got?
He wouldn't have been a filthy racist Democrat like you.

Time and time again, liberals claim that MLK was a Democrat. Liberals point to the people he associated with or that he opposed Barry Goldwater as proof that MLK was a Democrat. There is considerable evidence that he was not a Democrat. Martin Luther King Sr. was a Republican, that would almost certainly make his son a Republican. Only after his son was arrested did King Sr. plead to President Kennedy for his safe release. It is noted at that point MLK Sr. switched parties to support Kennedy. This despite Kennedy voting against the 1957 Civil Rights Act and being initially opposed to the 1963 March on Washington by Dr. King. The March on Washington was organized by A. Phillip Randolph, who was a black Republican. In addition, Robert Kennedy allowed the FBI to wiretap MLK Jr's phone on a trial basis due to suspicion that Dr. King's associates were Communist; this was later expanded during Lyndon B. Johnson's presidency; which undermined King.[11][12]

Martin Luther King - Conservapedia

I am neither "filthy" nor "racist" nor "a Democrat". I simply disproved, with King's own words and those of his niece, your claim that he was a "Republican" --- which case you completely FAILED to make. But do go on and entertain the class explaining why one's FATHER's affiliation would make his son "almost certainly" have the same one. I disproved that directly.

King was what I am ---unaffiliated. And there's nothing you and your petulant foot stomping can do about that, in either case.

"

6 white men.
6 white Christian men.

n
1348488761322-smiley_rofl.gif

"

6 white men.
6 white Christian men.

n

Why are you calling Martin Luther King Jr. a liar- and a Republican?

Here is what Martin Luther King Jr. said about you and your party

MLK on the Republican Nomination of Barry Goldwater | The Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change

And yeah- MLK Jr. correctly identified you.

6 white men.
6 white Christian men.

n

Wanna see mine?

Sincerely yours,
M. L. King, Jr.,
President

Watcha got?
. Martin Luther King Sr. was a Republican, that would almost certainly make his son a Republican.

Ding is so ignorant he thinks being Republican is genetic.

"

6 white men.
6 white Christian men.

n

Wanna see mine?

Sincerely yours,
M. L. King, Jr.,
President

Watcha got?

And of course there is also MLK Jr. calling the Republican Party the party of racists and the KKK.

Whatever MLK Jr. was- he was not a Republican.

You must like losing.

Why not. Roll 'em.

David Duke....the Democrat????

State Senator, 1975 (Baton Rouge Area)[edit]
Threshold > 50%

First Ballot, November 1, 1975

Louisiana State Senate, 1975
Party Candidate Votes %
Democratic Kenneth Osterberger 22,287 66
Democratic David Duke 11,079 33
N/A Others 1
Total 100
State Senator, 10th District, 1979 (Suburban New Orleans)[edit]
Threshold > 50% First Ballot, October 27, 1979

Louisiana State Senate, 10th District, 1979
Party Candidate Votes %
Democratic Joseph Tiemann 21,329 57
Democratic David Duke 9,897 26
N/A Others 6,459 17
Total 37,685 100
Democratic Nomination for United States Presidential Candidate, 1988 (Louisiana results)[edit]
Threshold = Plurality

1988 Democratic Presidential primary in Louisiana
Party Candidate Votes %
Democratic Jesse Jackson 221,522 35
Democratic Al Gore 174,971 28
Democratic Michael Dukakis 95,661 15
Democratic Dick Gephardt 67,029 11
Democratic Gary Hart 26,437 4
Democratic David Duke 23,391 4
Democratic Others 16,008 3
Total 625,019 100
Electoral history of David Duke - Wikipedia

David Duke the Republican

In December 1988, Duke changed his political affiliation from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party.

Duke, with 8,459 votes (50.7%), defeated Treen, who polled 8,232 votes (49.3%).[27] He served in the House from 1989 until 1992.[28]
Duke- 1990- ran for Senate as a Republican
Duke- 1991- ran for Governor as a Republican.
Duke- 1992- ran for President as a Republican
Republican

George H. W. Bush 83,747 61.98

Republican Pat Buchanan 36,526 27.03

Republican David Duke 11,956 8.85

Republican Pat Paulsen 1,186 0.88

Duke- 1996 ran for Senator as a Republican.

Republican Tennie Rogers 1,111 0.82

Republican George A. Zimmermann 474 0.35

Republican Thomas S. Fabish 114 0.08

Forum List

Back