$11 Million Ransom Paid

Sucks that this meat packing company had to pay an $11 million ransom.

If DJT was in the WH this doesn’t happen
It happened plenty when DJT was in the WH.
Not at this level with major companies shutting down and paying such hefty fees.

I'm about sick of this incompetent administration with its inflation and shortages. And it took less than 5 months.
That's because the inflation we are experiencing this early came from Trump's and admin's actions....

Inflation a year from past January, inflation is all Biden's fault, from his doings....
It is 100% Biden and his stupid partisan stimulus. Not to mention his rhetoric on oil and gas, his mantra of going green, mantra of raising the min wage. Yes, all Biden and his donkeys.

As long as these hackers can get away with it and make millions off it, why would they stop?
WHY CAN'T WE CATCH THESE SCOUNDRELS?
There needs to be a cyber defense that bites back the instant one of these things happens. Trashes their computer brains, traces a footprint directly to the hacker's door.
Oh if were only that easy! cybersecurity is a constant game of cat and mouse, the threats are ever evolving and there is never such a thing as "good enough". Cybersecurity is a big part of my job and I can tell you from first hand experience catching (i.e. finding the person responsible) an attacker is no simple feat. I've tracked attackers down to their doorstep on multiple occasions and had 2 cases that led to successful prosecution, however that took a lot of detective work (i.e. time and effort away from doing other work) and I had to turn over quite a lot of evidence to authorities, in these cases it was just an individual attacker.

The folks that pulled off this attack (as well as the recent Colonial Pipeline attack) aren't individual attackers, they're small corporations, with full support staff, they're not amateurs that don't know how to cover their tracks, VERY difficult to catch, even for major tech companies (e.g. Microsoft, Cisco, Google, etc..,) or Government Agencies (NSA, FBI, etc..,). Couple that with the fact that their targets are WAY outgunned in terms of expertise and budget and it's a very low risk, high reward proposition for these criminals.

Things are getting better, companies are now recognizing that they need to open their wallets and spend on cybersecurity (for example my annual cybersecurity budget has tripled in the last 2 years) and insurance companies are now requiring their clients to implement certain security steps (e.g. Multifactor Auth) before they'll onboard them for cyber insurance, but we still have a LONG way to go before we can start winning this war.

That $11 million could have been better spent on some cyber security.
You're absolutely correct, however there are some problems that make that not such an easy solution.

- C Suites are just now waking up to the magnitude of cyber threats thus if they're aware, they're playing catch up with respect to cyber security budgeting, policies, and planning.
- Lack of organizational expertise means that even if the money is there, it's being spent on the wrong things and is reactive not proactive
- An organizations user base is often one of the greatest enemies of good cyber security, they want more features/speeds & feeds and view security as an annoyance (at best) and something to be gotten around (at worst)

You can't just throw money at the problem and hope that alone will solve it, too often it's only AFTER a major attack is successful against an organization do, they go out and get the appropriate expertise and put policies in place to support that expertise.

Putin has demonstrated Russia can cut America's energy and slash our food supply.....and Biden does not see this a threat and has not responded....proving he is weaker than Carter ever was.

Putin has demonstrated Russia can cut America's energy and slash our food supply.....and Biden does not see this a threat and has not responded....proving he is weaker than Carter ever was.
And you know this how?

You part of Biden's inner circle?

And you know this how?

You part of Biden's inner circle?
I pay attention to the media and what's going on - you should try it. Biden was asked if he had spoken to Putin about the ransomeware hacks after the 2nd attack (that we know of), and he replied to the reporter, "No."

Oh if were only that easy! cybersecurity is a constant game of cat and mouse, the threats are ever evolving and there is never such a thing as "good enough". Cybersecurity is a big part of my job and I can tell you from first hand experience catching (i.e. finding the person responsible) an attacker is no simple feat. I've tracked attackers down to their doorstep on multiple occasions and had 2 cases that led to successful prosecution, however that took a lot of detective work (i.e. time and effort away from doing other work) and I had to turn over quite a lot of evidence to authorities, in these cases it was just an individual attacker.

I know nothing about these attacks and they make no sense to me. We had meat packing plants and fuel pipelines many years ago without one computer being involved or anything online. Why do we need them now and why do they use it to the point this can even happen? If they attack your system, just keep processing meat and selling it.

As much as I love technology, we let it control our lives way too much. We need to stop using at least some of it, and all of it in our election system.

Oh the irony. None of you said a word when Putin helped install the idiot trump now you want Joe to fix it. Typical.

And when they hacked the DNC computers, the commies wouldn't let the FBI investigate their data base. They hired a private company instead.

Russia ran some Facebook ads. They had nothing to do with the 2016 election.

it’s sad the xiden/harris admin can’t keep us safe from cyber attacks

now the price of meat will continue to rise due to the xiden harris failure of an admin...

You Clowns are so Brainwashed by the Cult.
By your own reasoning,
If Trump was President, then this Wuhan Virus Never would have happened.......
If Trump was President, this cyber hack Never would have happened......
Oh snap........trump was President and couldn't stop the Virus.
To be fair, that's exactly how the Anti-Trump cultists characterized everything. Turnabout is fair play. This is Biden's fault.

Biden was actually pretty awesome handling Colonial Pipeline....he had you and me and the hackers baffled....!

Meanwhile behind the scenes, he let Colonial pay the ransome, with the FBI in hiding, ready to pounce and steal most of the cryptocurrency back before it landed in the hacker's hand...

Yet, they let a little bit of the ransom money go all the way to the hackers....? My guess is the FBI, did so, for a reason.... And have something else, up their sleeve!

My opinion is you are watching way too many movies. :auiqs.jpg:

I know nothing about these attacks and they make no sense to me. We had meat packing plants and fuel pipelines many years ago without one computer being involved or anything online. Why do we need them now and why do they use it to the point this can even happen? If they attack your system, just keep processing meat and selling it.

As much as I love technology, we let it control our lives way too much. We need to stop using at least some of it, and all of it in our election system.
Companies cannot compete in a global marketplace without major ongoing investments in Information Systems, just not possible (unless you're a very small business), if you don't invest in them your competitors will and they'll kick your butt in the marketplace. ;)

I agree with you on the "we let it control our lives way too much" part though, that's something that I worry about all the time, I also worry about the fact that individuals don't take cyber security seriously until they become a victim.

I know nothing about these attacks and they make no sense to me. We had meat packing plants and fuel pipelines many years ago without one computer being involved or anything online.
Times have changed, as has technology and the dependence on that technology. 'Ransomware' and cyber hacking / extortion was not a 'thing' 'many years ago'. Welcome to the 21st Century.

As long as these hackers can get away with it and make millions off it, why would they stop?
WHY CAN'T WE CATCH THESE SCOUNDRELS?
There needs to be a cyber defense that bites back the instant one of these things happens. Trashes their computer brains, traces a footprint directly to the hacker's door.
It appears that the US has fallen behind in cyber security

Our education system and the government are at fault and must be held accountable

Putin wouldn’t fuck with him IMO. So now I an not entitled to an opinion? Typical leftist.

He would never actually. Trump was somebody to be cautious of. Dementia can't even take a shower without killing himself. Anybody that thinks the Russian government knows nothing about the people doing this is mentally retarded. The government knows everything everybody is doing in that country.

Exactly the reason the China Gov. released the virus.
Because POS trump is weak and gutless.

Fuck you RWI contards.

China didn't attack the US with the virus, they attacked the entire world which (to your chagrin) Trump was not in charge of.

I dont see saying it wouldnt happen,, just that the response would be different,,

Correct. Joe said the government is not in charge of private industry. With Trump, he might have told the world he's putting a 10 million dollar bounty on the people who did this, wanted dead or alive, plus automatic citizenship to the US. Not that Trump could actually carry out such a plan, but it would sure give the culprits something to consider given the past actions of our CIA. Just like in the US, somebody always knows something, and people have a way of talking when it comes to money, especially in a country with so many poor people.

It happened plenty when DJT was in the WH.

Really? Got a :linky:
A new report from consumer tech information site Comparitech shows that cyber attacks cost American government organizations about $18.88 billion in recovery costs and downtime in 2020.

Last year, U.S. government organizations suffered 79 ransomware attacks, which potentially impacted 71 million people. This marked a 35 percent decrease in the number of ransomware attacks counted in 2019.

The hackers behind these attacks demanded ransom amounts from between $2,500 and $5 million. The average ransom demanded in 2020 was $570,857. Over $1.75 million was actually paid to hackers.

Times have changed, as has technology and the dependence on that technology. 'Ransomware' and cyber hacking / extortion was not a 'thing' 'many years ago'. Welcome to the 21st Century.

I totally understand that, but what I don't understand is why cyber is mandatory for a business and not an option. I don't understand how there can be this reliance with absolutely no backup plan.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back