'Zip-related genital injuries' send thousands of men to ER each year

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
Interesting...I did not know this. The things you learn while reading the news. I will admit though, I did zip up skin from my hip in a zipper once... back when side zipping shorts were all the rage. Hurt like hell going up...but I do believe down was even worse. Ouch. :redface:

I thought it was just me. But according to a study published this month in the British Journal of Urology International by a University of California San Francisco urology resident named Herman Singh Bagga, an estimated 17,616 people wound up in U.S. emergency rooms between 2002 and 2012 because they caught their genitals, almost always penises, in zippers.

If you’re giggling right now, you’ve never done it.

And you’ve probably done it. Zipper injuries are the single most common cause of penile injury in adult men reporting to emergency rooms, Bagga explained in an interview, followed by bicycles. (In small boys, the most common cause of penile injury is a toilet seat slamming down when the child is urinating – “you’d be surprised how many little boys rest their penises on the rim,” Bagga said -- followed by zippers.)

OK, so it’s a little funny in a Three Stooges kind of way, but a careless zip of the pants can be serious. While permanent damage is rare, Bagga said, zipper entrapment has led to surgical intervention such as undesired circumcision. A more common consequence is infection.

Zippers send thousands of men to ER each year - Health - Men's health | NBC News

Forum List

Back