Zero Tolerance--Teen Suspended for Designated Driving

Her parents raised her right, but liberals hate families so she gets punished by an incredibly ignorant and hateful policy.

Now wait for some liberal to ask how I know this is one of their ideas.....

Did it say in the article that the school officials were liberals?

There are times when deductive reasoning is useful.

No, I don't think the political beliefs of any administrator were mentioned. The school district is located in Andover, MA--what are the odds that the policies of this state would be other than 'blue'? Really?

Beyond that who is running the government? The government runs the schools. If inferences cannot be made --no hope of comprehension.

It has crossed my mind that this is a chronic problem in many posts. It also seems that many never read the linked article or even fully grasp other posters' comments.

jmo--Rather than saying 'liberals hate families'--I think the elephant in the room is that 'The State' is assuming the role of parent--grossly overstepping.

If there is some other explanation for this unbelievable response--I'd love to hear it. Certain that the BOE's attorney advises them not to clarify.

A student who was not consuming alcohol, verified by LE is punished for 'being at the wrong place'? She was at home, with her parents. By all that is holy--I can't get it into my head how a school policy needs to go that far.

On the other hand--there is Steubenville, OH--entire community seemed to band together to protect members of the football team that raped a girl and posted on youtube.

I am at a loss. Neither extreme is acceptable.

What happened to this girl was ridiculous, but there might be more to this story than we have been told. Damn liberal media!!!!

A student who was not consuming alcohol, verified by LE is punished for 'being at the wrong place'? She was at home, with her parents. By all that is holy--I can't get it into my head how a school policy needs to go that far.

On the other hand--there is Steubenville, OH--entire community seemed to band together to protect members of the football team that raped a girl and posted on youtube.

I am at a loss. Neither extreme is acceptable.

What happened to this girl was ridiculous, but there might be more to this story than we have been told. Damn liberal media!!!!

probably true. it is too much to expect that the truth and the whole truth is provided.

for the remainder of my high school career--I would have some open discussions with my friends. one friend in particular--that sort of 'fun' never really is.

what a surprise--one day you are focused on playing basketball in Andover--and then you are receiving nationwide attention.

Erin Cox, Massachusetts Teen, Punished By School After Trying To Drive Home Intoxicated Friend

<While Cox was cleared by police who recognized her sobriety, her school has given her a harsh punishment. The 17-year-old was stripped of her title as captain of the volleyball team, and she was suspended from five games.

“But I wasn’t drinking,” Cox told the Boston Herald. “And I felt like going to get her was the right thing to do. Saving her from getting in the car when she was intoxicated and hurt herself or getting in the car with someone else who was drinking. I’d give her a ride home.”

The Cox family filed a lawsuit against the school on Friday in an attempt to get officials to reverse the punishment. However, the district court judge ruled the court did not have jurisdiction over the issue, local station WBZ-TV reports.

“If a kid asks for help from a friend, you don’t want that kid to say ‘I’m sorry I can’t help you. I might end up in trouble at school,’” Cox family attorney Wendy Murphy told the outlet.

However, an attorney for the school told the Boston Herald that officials are standing firm on the punishment. >

Please let there be an attorney that is up to this challenge.

I see no redeeming value in such a decision--the school board's.
This is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with the school, was not done on school property, during a school event, etc. They have no right to punish her for what she does outside of school events or off school property.

Erin Cox, Massachusetts Teen, Punished By School After Trying To Drive Home Intoxicated Friend

<While Cox was cleared by police who recognized her sobriety, her school has given her a harsh punishment. The 17-year-old was stripped of her title as captain of the volleyball team, and she was suspended from five games.

“But I wasn’t drinking,” Cox told the Boston Herald. “And I felt like going to get her was the right thing to do. Saving her from getting in the car when she was intoxicated and hurt herself or getting in the car with someone else who was drinking. I’d give her a ride home.”

The Cox family filed a lawsuit against the school on Friday in an attempt to get officials to reverse the punishment. However, the district court judge ruled the court did not have jurisdiction over the issue, local station WBZ-TV reports.

“If a kid asks for help from a friend, you don’t want that kid to say ‘I’m sorry I can’t help you. I might end up in trouble at school,’” Cox family attorney Wendy Murphy told the outlet.

However, an attorney for the school told the Boston Herald that officials are standing firm on the punishment. >

More zero tolerance school policies gone awry. Parents have got to start demanding that these zero tolerance policies be thrown out the window. We have to go back to using common sense. Here's the thing; for the most part, shit like this has nothing to do with being conservative or liberal. Pretty much everyone would agree this is just fucked up.

I agree. This has nothing to do with conservative or liberal but with common sense.

More zero tolerance school policies gone awry. Parents have got to start demanding that these zero tolerance policies be thrown out the window. We have to go back to using common sense. Here's the thing; for the most part, shit like this has nothing to do with being conservative or liberal. Pretty much everyone would agree this is just fucked up.

I agree. This has nothing to do with conservative or liberal but with common sense.

or more accurately the lack there of common sense

These harsh rules were adopted during the last 25 years. When I was in college you could have beer in the dorm room fridge. You could smoke. Don't tell it's a progressive policy that changed this since schools became more conservative during this period.

This is about a high school, no?

High school and college are two completely different things. Did they allow you to smoke pot and do drugs in your dorms? When I was in college, I never lived in a dorm. I shared an apartment with a friend and did any damn thing I wanted. High school is very different.

&#8220;But I wasn&#8217;t drinking,&#8221; Cox told the Boston Herald. &#8220;And I felt like going to get her was the right thing to do. Saving her from getting in the car when she was intoxicated and hurt herself or getting in the car with someone else who was drinking. I&#8217;d give her a ride home.&#8221;

&#8220;If a kid asks for help from a friend, you don&#8217;t want that kid to say &#8216;I&#8217;m sorry I can&#8217;t help you. I might end up in trouble at school,&#8217;&#8221; Cox family attorney Wendy Murphy told the outlet.

This is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with the school, was not done on school property, during a school event, etc. They have no right to punish her for what she does outside of school events or off school property.

some where--pages back --I posted a quote from the student handbook--'anyone involved in athletics must never be where alcohol or drugs are consumed'--something like that.

They specify--'this code of conduct applies 24/7--in school or out'.

ok--how did they come up with the policies--typically the school staff, concerned parents and students work on the discipline code--if everybody thought it was appropriate for the community--I guess there are no issues? What was their motivation? Parents want the school to do what they 'cannot'? Is that it?

What do I know--I live on a blue island in a red state. Conflicting opinions would have been expressed--whatever discipline codes schools have adopted around here--I don't think most communities would support one like Andover's. Then again--a curfew ordinance was just passed for teenagers. So what do I know--not much.

some where--pages back --I posted a quote from the student handbook--'anyone involved in athletics must never be where alcohol or drugs are consumed'--something like that.

They specify--'this code of conduct applies 24/7--in school or out'...

So, if a student's family raises a toast around Thanksgiving dinner it's "off with their heads!"?

:cuckoo:

So, if a student's family raises a toast around Thanksgiving dinner it's "off with their heads!"?

lol--guess so. The Andover Way--I wouldn't offer a toast but if it works for them I hope they are happy.

Andover seems to be middle class? I finally found some better stats. Have they lost their minds --I saw nothing to indicate this. shaking my head.

lol--guess so. The Andover Way--I wouldn't offer a toast but if it works for them I hope they are happy.

Andover seems to be middle class? I finally found some better stats. Have they lost their minds --I saw nothing to indicate this. shaking my head.

Andover is on the upper side of middle class at least.

Well--all the more reason for parents to exercise their rights and responsibilities. Cannot be that difficult to say--'No, you can't have a party--and do not even think of drinking alcohol.' I know parents who say and do this--at all income levels.

but--whatever 'goes' in Andover--whatever--as a parent I would be 'upset' to say the least if my child could not get into a college--college of my choice over something like this. Boortz level -irate. lol. off the richter scale--if you are familiar with Neal Boortz--and government schools. He would get in his plane and swoop down upon them or something. believe he could and would.

Well--all the more reason for parents to exercise their rights and responsibilities. Cannot be that difficult to say--'No, you can't have a party--and do not even think of drinking alcohol.' I know parents who say and do this--at all income levels...

Is this really a big shock to you? You were a high school student once, right?

but--whatever 'goes' in Andover--whatever--as a parent I would be 'upset' to say the least if my child could not get into a college--college of my choice over something like this.

If she plays her cards right this could help her get into college.

but--whatever 'goes' in Andover--whatever--as a parent I would be 'upset' to say the least if my child could not get into a college--college of my choice over something like this.

If she plays her cards right this could help her get into college.

that's what I think. no need to air dirty laundry in public--hopefully an attorney of some integrity will explain all of this.

reading between the lines --eh--Unkotare. high five, dude--or whatever we are saying now-I am an old lady--lol--'timeless, classic, vintage'-appreciate the finer things. recognize it when I see it, etc. --'a difficult teacher'--yes, I was. I received an excellent public education--values and more. highly refined abilities to detect 's'--when it is evident. that sort of thing. not to the Boortz level of course--but listen to him for 20 or so years and you learn a few things. pain--then growth. cough.

Well--all the more reason for parents to exercise their rights and responsibilities. Cannot be that difficult to say--'No, you can't have a party--and do not even think of drinking alcohol.' I know parents who say and do this--at all income levels...

Is this really a big shock to you? You were a high school student once, right?

yes--I know what you are saying. shhh--our secret. Massachusetts--pretty much anyone that wants to can 'figure it out'.

long day--do you really want to know--I might not. but---got my hair cut and colored. chatted about local 's'--my hair stylist should be making $$$$$---just listens. From South GA--eh--you'd have to live here a while to understand how things go in the ATL. basically rednecks--if you started out here--and then picked up this and that from the ATL. 'We are Family'--still going on--we just chill. whatever anyone may think.

have a glass of wine--relax. hump day.

Forum List

Back