Zero Tolerance--Teen Suspended for Designated Driving

Then you teach them to be STUPID!

I hope you are being sarcastic and not really trying to espouse weakness and cowardice.

I am not AFRAID to help. I have made a conscious decision that I am, generally, UNWILLING to help. Not worth the risk. Keep walking...hands in pockets, head down and pick up the pace.

Coward. You are one of the loose threads pulling society apart. You are undeserving of citizenship.

So do you wish to teach kids to NEVER help those in need but to only pass it down and HOPE someone else helps????Not what I teach my kids.

Never help, never stop, never get involved. It is NEVER worth the risk. No good deed goes unpunished.

She was helping a friend. Someone she knew.

If it was a stranger, I agree with you NEVER help. NEVER get involved. The risk really is too great. Call the police and make a report.

I haven't regretted any sort of help I have been able to provide, strangers included. Perhaps just lucky. And there have been times when strangers have helped me.

At 17 I would have been horrified to hear anyone say --'Never help'--programmed with 50's values, in the South. To not help would be considered 'unkind'. Things have changed.

Tired of all --'he/she should have'. Clearly the students at this school need to spend hours daily reading the student handbook. Then the school needs to assess how well they have comprehended. I assume at the first of the year students were required to sign a 'contract'. ie-'I have read and understood the student handbook.' Protecting the school.

I still think grounds for a defense could be that based on good character traits this student 'lacked the maturity' to fully comprehend what was 'Right'.

Legalese--sometimes I wonder what sort of consequences I may be facing when I click online--such as joining this forum. Living dangerously--there could be a word or phrase that I ignored and in some bizarre circumstance I would have to go to court and be found guilty of whatever.

God Help Us All --if this is the way the future must be lived.

More qualified?

So, if she called her Dad, and the two of them went to pick up the friend, the difference is?

The difference is let the dad go pick up the drunk stay away if that is what the policy calls for. Bottom line the world is full of courageous fools who could have been more effective getting the appropriate party to act. The policy should be changed, until it is it should be followed.

So do you wish to teach kids to NEVER help those in need but to only pass it down and HOPE someone else helps????Not what I teach my kids.

Left field chief...that is not the issue as far as I am concerned. I set forth my position in prior posts.

To me, when a friend is in trouble, you don't go walking away. Would you want someone to turn their back on you if you needed the help? No.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Erin Cox, Massachusetts Teen, Punished By School After Trying To Drive Home Intoxicated Friend

<While Cox was cleared by police who recognized her sobriety, her school has given her a harsh punishment. The 17-year-old was stripped of her title as captain of the volleyball team, and she was suspended from five games.

&#8220;But I wasn&#8217;t drinking,&#8221; Cox told the Boston Herald. &#8220;And I felt like going to get her was the right thing to do. Saving her from getting in the car when she was intoxicated and hurt herself or getting in the car with someone else who was drinking. I&#8217;d give her a ride home.&#8221;

The Cox family filed a lawsuit against the school on Friday in an attempt to get officials to reverse the punishment. However, the district court judge ruled the court did not have jurisdiction over the issue, local station WBZ-TV reports.

&#8220;If a kid asks for help from a friend, you don&#8217;t want that kid to say &#8216;I&#8217;m sorry I can&#8217;t help you. I might end up in trouble at school,&#8217;&#8221; Cox family attorney Wendy Murphy told the outlet.

However, an attorney for the school told the Boston Herald that officials are standing firm on the punishment. >

Please let there be an attorney that is up to this challenge.

I see no redeeming value in such a decision--the school board's.

Neither do I. What exactly are they falsely accusing her of? What Law was broken? What principle was violated? Pretty sad.

Last edited:
A "designated driver" only works if the intoxicated passenger is of legal age to freaking drink. WTF are schools teaching when they know how to put a condom on a cucumber but they don't know that an underaged driver driving an underaged drunk is illegal?

^^^ Why does it matter how old the driver is when they are not the one who is drunk? As long as they are old enough to drive and has a legal license to do so, it should be okay. Now If the person under the influence is under age, they should be the one who is charged because they are the one that is breaking the law.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

^^^ Why does it matter how old the driver is when they are not the one who is drunk? As long as they are old enough to drive and has a legal license to do so, it should be okay. Now If the person under the influence is under age, they should be the one who is charged because they are the one that is breaking the law.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

all kinds of issues are now being brought into this.

making it even more complicated.

What would the most perfect response have been?

--did she tell her mother, did her mother say--OK
-should she have called the friend's parents
on and on and on.

Unless someone who attends this high school wants to offer further insight we are just spinning our wheels.

Certain the school board has plenty of attorneys--probably being paid $$$$ an hour.

The parents have an attorney, there are online sites collecting $--the public is outraged. Media is covering the story.
LE will testify that she violated no law. Then--more time wasted--stress created for all and I hope in the end the student will be vindicated. We probably will never know--'The BOE does not comment on disciplinary procedures...'

So excuse poor judgment just this time? Please, the policy is the policy and is subject to chance, but for now the girl gets the bobo award. It should go on her college application as well.

I'm trying to find where the poor judgement came in. Was it the part where she wasn't at the party, wasn't drinking, answered the phone when her friend called or going out to help her friend out of a bad situation? I'm not seeing anything she did being an action in need of punishment.

Her only poor judgment was in forgetting that no good deed goes unpunished. The SMART thing for her to say would have been, "Sorry, I might get in trouble. I know you're smashed, but it's better for you to try to drive home."

I think that's it. Along with the thinking you can help has to be mitigated within the rules of the school and those that defend this position you are not allowed to help ANYONE without governmental approval. You go help you get to pay the price. No wonder we have people filming rape scenes and other atrocities but not getting involved. Not our job right? Don't fix the problem report it and hope you can get your video on youtube.

since we are wandering off the beaten path--

This party sounded like it was held at someone's house. So partying for high school students in Andover includes alcohol--guess so. That is a concern.

Difficult to imagine an adult who wouldn't be 'scared straight' if they had read the student handbook.

and the students that were arrested for consuming alcohol--certain to receive consequences from the court--were they expelled, suspended...No telling. Locked in a dungeon maybe.

Apparently having common sense and compassion is a bad thing
What you do not get is the girl could have gotten someone else to who was more qualified and less at risk to go to the scene.....

How do you know she could have gotten someone else?

Someone else>>> Cox arrived at the party at the same time as the police, who were arresting a slew of students for underage drinking. The policy is terrible but that is what she bound by until it is changed.

Erin Cox, Massachusetts Teen, Punished By School After Trying To Drive Home Intoxicated Friend

<While Cox was cleared by police who recognized her sobriety, her school has given her a harsh punishment. The 17-year-old was stripped of her title as captain of the volleyball team, and she was suspended from five games.

“But I wasn’t drinking,” Cox told the Boston Herald. “And I felt like going to get her was the right thing to do. Saving her from getting in the car when she was intoxicated and hurt herself or getting in the car with someone else who was drinking. I’d give her a ride home.”

The Cox family filed a lawsuit against the school on Friday in an attempt to get officials to reverse the punishment. However, the district court judge ruled the court did not have jurisdiction over the issue, local station WBZ-TV reports.

“If a kid asks for help from a friend, you don’t want that kid to say ‘I’m sorry I can’t help you. I might end up in trouble at school,’” Cox family attorney Wendy Murphy told the outlet.

However, an attorney for the school told the Boston Herald that officials are standing firm on the punishment. >

Please let there be an attorney that is up to this challenge.

I see no redeeming value in such a decision--the school board's.

More zero tolerance school policies gone awry. Parents have got to start demanding that these zero tolerance policies be thrown out the window. We have to go back to using common sense. Here's the thing; for the most part, shit like this has nothing to do with being conservative or liberal. Pretty much everyone would agree this is just fucked up.

Forum List

Back