Your worst job

Originally posted by winston churchi
Now I have a headache!
They argued about how many drinks you should have on your tray? Okay Disney never went that far...

As for remembering, I remember it because it was Disney I suppose.

How many drinks, what time the ketchup and stuff came of the self-serve table, how many napkins we could give with a food order. IT took three of them two weeks to decide if I could wear shorts or not. Some time after I "left" (it seems as thought they thought I had a bad attitude :D), they hired a consultant to come in a help them get organized hahahaha. I would count this one as my second worst job, but I still think Disney sounds worse.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
I will happily volunteer to get rid of any excess drinks for you!

:alco:

Hahahaha, I wish! If they served alcohol, they'd have the cops there every night - people fighting over tables, bingo dabbers, trolls "quit looking at my GD cards asswipe" hahaha. No, sadly it was only pop.

Originally posted by Said1
Hahahaha, I wish! If they served alcohol, they'd have the cops there every night - people fighting over tables, bingo dabbers, trolls "quit looking at my GD cards asswipe" hahaha. No, sadly it was only pop.

After all those rules you still didn't have alcohol?

Here are some of Disneys good points:
Free passes to the parks for you and others you know
Free food - they had a cafeteria to use during work
Telling everyone you worked at Disney - you are an
interesting person

Bad things we did but never got caught:

Always make extra for yourself

I think that covers it.

I dont regret working there. It would have been nice but for all the laws...then its Disney and they have this amazing reputation to adhere to.
Their lawns are spray painted green - yes they are!
When a tree falls it is replaced immedietly -scarey stuff.
They have cameras everywhere of course - not the restrooms.

Worst job ? That isn't easy , I've had some really bad jobs .
When I was in my early 20s my brother in law got a job for me on a 45 foot tug boat with his cousin . I had never worked on a boat before so I thought it would be fun , plenty of opportunities to practice photography . I jumped on board at a dock in the wharehouse district in New Orleans . We were taking a 120 foot barge with a huge piece of a Nuclear reactor to Tampa . I was a deck hand/mechanic/cook and whatever else needed . The trip started pretty uneventful cruising down the intracoastal waterway . It was kind of fun spotlighting deer and alligators on the banks , everything remained smooth until we reached Florida were we docked on an island before heading out across the Gulf the next morning . We started out at dawn , my first indication of how ill equiped this boat was when we had to handle the 6'' nylon roap by hand , no winch . We let the line out about 300 yards so we were pulling this barge that dwarfed the boat . The seas were only 5 feet but that was rough so the Captain decided to turn around . Guess who had to pull in that 300 yards of wet nylon roap , That's right , me . The other deck hand couldn't have weighed 125 pounds so he was no help .What was scarry was when the Captain shut down the engines to give us some slack in the rope , you could hear the barge coming at us at the speed we were going before he cut power . The barge was as high as the wheelhouse on the tug so when you were standing on the stern it towered above us . Anyway we got it secured on our side and docked on dog island again to wait for the seas to calm . That was fun because the island was uninhabited and we were allowed to explore it . Near dusk the Captain decided it was time to go . I was watching the weather on TV and called the Capt . in a panic , a storm was heading for us . He didn't even look at the report and decided we were going now . We repeated the drill of that morning and got underway with the barge behind us. About 5 hours out , it was very dark and the seas started to pick up . Shortly after that we hit a squall line that was whipping the Gulf up to about 30 foot seas . The next 8 hours were a horror . Up in the wheelhouse we were about 15 feet above water level. We had the spotlights aimed straight ahead at the continuous walls of water coming at us . It was alot like the scene in The Perfect Storm on a smaller scale . I didn't smoke and the rest of the crew were chain smoking filterless Camels . I threw up untill all that was left were my lungs and I think I tossed at least one of them . The Captain told me to go check the engine room to see what the water level was up to , he had neglected to tell us that there was a crack in the stern and none of the pumps were working . When I got down there I saw that water was up to the crankcase , all I could think of was the engine drowning out and we would get run over by the barge . I looked around for a lifejacket and found some with seahorses silkscreened on them, nothing about Coast Guard approved . We also didn't have the tools I have in my truck for a trip to 7-11 .I couldn't think of anyway to get on that barge so I decided to talk to the big guy upstairs . I promised him I would do anything if we could just get back to solid ground under my feet . I think I might have mentioned becoming a priest but he didn't hold me to that . I think I must have fallen asleep because when I woke up the seas were calmer and I could see land in the distance . It wasn't Tampa , the Captain had turned it around in the middle of the night and we were coming into Carrabella . I told the Captain he was a dick and demanded to get off of the boat , the first mate did also . He called the office in New Orleans and they sent replacements .
A couple weeks later I was on my Brother in Law's boat , much better equipped . I was sitting in the wheelhouse as the sun was coming up when I heard a distress call on the radio . It was the crew from the other boat , it sunk in Vermillion bay south of Louisiana in about 12 feet of water .

Originally posted by sitarro
A couple weeks later I was on my Brother in Law's boat , much better equipped . I was sitting in the wheelhouse as the sun was coming up when I heard a distress call on the radio . It was the crew from the other boat , it sunk in Vermillion bay south of Louisiana in about 12 feet of water .

Lucky to be alive. When having a hard time, I always say "it could be worse" - which means, the prize for worst job goes to sitarro "speech, speech" :D

Originally posted by Said1
Lucky to be alive. When having a hard time, I always say "it could be worse" - which means, the prize for worst job goes to sitarro "speech, speech" :D

Thank you , Thankyou very much (in an Elvis accent)
The funny thing is , my brother in law fired me off of that boat that a couple of months later and within a year that one sank in a freak accident with a super tanker . He had one of those "Vietnam War tempers" , he's a great guy but if you push him a little too far he might kill you , literally. I saw him throw his first mate across a barge because he talked back to him , he takes that Captain thing very seriously . He fired me because I didn't want to wash the boat in freezing temperatures with no sleep , kicked me off the boat in Venice ,Louisiana and told me to walk home . Home was about 220 miles away .
I'm sure that there are worse jobs but this was mine, I consider myself pretty lucky . Alot of those crappy jobs seem to be around water and or the oilfield . The oilfield guys are some of the hardest working people I have ever seen in any conditions 24 hours a day .My guess would be working on a boat or a drilling platform in the North Seas of the Atlantic , they couldn't pay me enough to do that .

Running a hay-hauling crew that hauled alfalfa square bales in the summer.

Miserable work. Of course, my buddies and I did it to get into shape for football, so by the time the season came around, we were mean as all hell.

My ex did that one year - only it was hay. One of the square bales hit him in the head after it came off one of those contraptions. Might s'plain a few things. :lol:

My ex did that one year - only it was hay. One of the square bales hit him in the head after it came off one of those contraptions. Might s'plain a few things. :lol:

LOL. Well, alfalfa is "hay", but it's really dense, nasty, and heavy. A bale typically weighs about 70 lbs. Multiply that by 1000 bales and you've got a days work ahead of you.

I've been hit with a few haybales. I've also dropped a few on cars on the highway as we were taking them to the barn.

Whoops.

It has since occured to me that a Rat is a unique Mascot for a Restaurant.

I suppose a roach would have been worse.

One of my jobs was to dress in the Chuck E Cheese costume and Entertain the Tykes, whose inattentive parents would allow them to punch, kick, and generally abuse anyone so hapless as to be making their way through college dressed as a Giant Rat.

One day I discovered that if I whirled around, my tail, just at Tyke Head Level, could knock one of the litlle bastards to the floor, but wouldn't leave a mark,

After that day the job became much more enjoyable.

BTW: If you are forced to go to Chuck E. Cheese today, you will note that the tail has been removed from the Rat Costume.

I thought this would be an interesting topic. I'll start with mine.

When I was 12, my mother thought it would be a good idea for me to get a summer job. Being 12, my options were fairly limited to babysitting and Dickie Dee ice cream vendor. I went with Dickie Dee, since I thought I would be getting free ice cream while I was peddling away all day. Well, it didn't turn out to be what I expect, not even close. For starters, I was assigned to the worst area in the city, they didn't give me any instructional traning, and I had no idea how heavy those little contraptions could be (very heavy, especially up hill :D ). I managed to stick it out until I ran out of ice cream, but, on the way back to the warehouse, I was robbed at knife point.

When I told the manager what happened, he fired me! He said he thought I was to small for the job anyway (exact words). Needless to say, I went home very up set.

A few WEEKS later, some police officers arrive at my house to question me about the "incident". They asked what happened, and I told them, what I could remember. For some reason they seemed very skeptical when listening to my answers. At this point, my mother stepped in and asked the officers why they were questioning me with such an attitude. They answered that the manager didn't think I was that upset after being robbed at knife point! Then they went on to explain that kids do that all the time, so they can keep the profits and get paid.
My mother told them to get the F*@k out, and that was pretty much the end of it - and the summer job idea.

That's terrible, getting robbed at knife point, you must have been so scared.. 12 is pretty young to have that kind of job.

Stewart Wire Co. summer 1975. Butt welding and spot welding my way to $5.75/hr from 11pm to 7am.

Bought my first car w/that money.

There were some 60 year old union farts working there. Old old factory. Filthy stinky.

I was making fan guards one night and got bored, so I held down the foot switch and precisely hit 50 consecutive welds in under a minute. I stepped back, smoke rising from the platen table, and looked over to see half a dozen co-workers staring in amazement.
Earned some cred that night but got my ass chewed out by the boss. :D

Forum List

Back