Your thoughts on computers circa 1990?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr.Nick, May 16, 2012.

1. Mr.Nick

Mr.Nick VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +682
    What did you think about computers around 1990 - if you're old enough to have an opinion that is.

I remember being 10 or so and taking a mandatory "typing class" and thinking: "this shit is stupid, when the hell am I going to need to know how to type on a computer :lol:"

Hell, we (my family) was online since 1995 and I wasn't even interested in the internet until 96 or 97..

I suppose I'm one of the last "play outside" generation.

These days my 4-year-old nephew is playing online games with his Ipad (don't worry we play soccer, hockey, basketball etc, besides he would prefer to play outside, he just loves his puzzle games tho).. :lol:

I suppose I thought about this because when I went to the store earlier today I saw a kid that couldn't be more than 7 or 8 glued to his Iphone while he was standing in line waiting with his mom... Then I realized (I have always known) that these kids are not like the kids from my generation.

Hell, in my generation NES was a novelty... We spent more time playing "war" outside or jumping our bikes off a ramp than we did playing video games. Now all these kids do is play video games...

I suppose my point is did any one of you think technology would be as big as it currently is??

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    I did.

Technology is changing our lives so rapidly that society is having serious problems dealing with the increased efficiencies that this technology is bringing us.

We're still telling ourselves that we don't need to address these obvious problems but in the next decade or so I expect that people are going to start talking about this problem because it is going to negatively effect most of us sooner rather than later.

You folks who are now just starting out you careers are going to find yourself made redundant repeatedly duuring your working lives as technology makes you are about useful as buggy whips to NASCAR drivers.

Inicidently, I love technology, but we need to start thinking about how to compensate the victims of it, too.

3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    Computer History for 1990

I was using a slide rule in high school when hand held calculators were first introduced. I had to have one and used my part-time job to buy a Commodore that did + - x and /. Paid $90 LOL.

My first office computer was an Apple with a whopping 256K memory. But I put it to work and it made me more productive. These things can be time savers or time wasters. It's up to the individual.

4. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmDz7Q9_h6c]Printing a Giant Wrench with a 3D Printer - YouTube[/ame]

5. Mr.Nick

Mr.Nick VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +682
    I love technology as well but when is too much "too much."

When I was a kid/young adult people would go out and socialize with one another - now these days people think its funny to text one another who are in the same room...

WTF....

IMO, it's getting out of hand.

6. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I started on computers circa 1977.

the punched paper tape was cool and you could get an entire megabyte of storage on a 12" hard drive platter.

Programmers had to be efficient.

7. Mr.Nick

Mr.Nick VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +682
    Me and the entire family and friends were talking about this on Mothers Day...

The biggest problem with that technology is the weight.... If one was going to use that technology in space for example one one still have to bring X amount of "matter" in weight to produce those tools.... I suppose if one could recycle the tool and create a new one that would definitely be worth while.

If you need a wrench, make one, if you need a screw driver, recycle the wrench and make one etc....

8. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Once in the late 70's, I think it was, I paid $75.00 for a Texas Instruments calculator. This was a hand calculator. It could add, subtract, multiply and divide.

You know - the ones you can pick up now for a dollar or so at the checkout stand.

9. Mr.Nick

Mr.Nick VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +682
    Yeah I bought one a few years back at a ham radio festival (a gigantic flea market for electronic geeks) for a couple of bucks. My dad pointed it out and pretty much said what you said so I bought it for a couple bucks.

I had one of these as a kid tho...

[​IMG]

If I remember correctly the thing would say shit like: "spell cat" then you would put in c-a-t and then it would say "correct." hahaha

10. Ariux

Ariux BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I remember in elementary school some students brought work to school that was printed on a dot-matrix printer. I envisioned a day when all homework would consist of dots. But, I was a stupid little kid, no smarter than an average Afro with a Ph.D. I made the error of not considering future improvements in print quality, even though there were some letter-quality" inkjets at the time (maybe I thought letter-quality papers were from typewriters).

The Internet didn't have much to offer anyone outside of nerdom until nearly 2000.

Video games (SNES) were pretty bad then. I don't remember any of them that demanding hours of play, at a time. And, there weren't very many that demanded even minutes of play.

These days, the most kids spend out time is when they're in an organized activity, like a soccer team. Today, I'm glad there are basketball video games, to help keep Afros off the street and reduce crime.