Your heart attack bill: $3,300 in Arkansas, $92,000 in California

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest

For example, the average bill for treatment for a heart attack without major complications at a hospital in Danville, Ark., was $3,334. Across the country in Modesto, Calif., the same diagnosis incurred an average bill of $92,057.

Hospital bills show wide variations for same treatment - May. 8, 2013

Wow, same situation and same care, price gouging has become an art.

CaféAuLait;7208588 said:

For example, the average bill for treatment for a heart attack without major complications at a hospital in Danville, Ark., was $3,334. Across the country in Modesto, Calif., the same diagnosis incurred an average bill of $92,057.

And which hospital would you rather be treated in for a heart attack - assuming you didn't have to pay?

CaféAuLait;7208588 said:

And which hospital would you rather be treated in for a heart attack - assuming you didn't have to pay?

Since I know nothing of either hospital I would have to state the one with the best doctors.

I'd live in Arkansas if I could. But I think I would have a major case of culture shock.

The cost of living is a lot higher in CA.

You could probably get that same $3,000 heart operation in India for 200 bucks.

The cost of living is a lot higher in CA.

You could probably get that same $3,000 heart operation in India for 200 bucks.

Sure it's higher, but no where near that much higher in CA vs AR.

The hospitals are price gouging, period. There needs to be transparency and they need to stop charging 80 dollars for an aspirin.

Even within the same region, costs can run to opposite extremes. HHS pointed out that the bills submitted for treating heart failure with some complications ranges from a low of $21,000 to a high of $46,000 in Denver, Colo., and from a low of $9,000 to a high of $51,000 in Jackson, Mississippi.

The actual bill should be: heart treatment $6000, paying for the 12 illegals here before you $86000

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CaféAuLait;7208851 said:
CaféAuLait;7208588 said:

Since I know nothing of either hospital I would have to state the one with the best doctors.

So the medical equipment available at each hospital is of no importance?

CaféAuLait;7208851 said:

So the medical equipment available at each hospital is of no importance?

Of course it is, but I am assuming at this point since HHS did not state there was any difference in care that the patients were treated in the same manner with similar outcomes.

CaféAuLait;7208588 said:

True, patients are getting gouged. But it's more complicated than that. There are all kinds of heart attacks. Some triggered by blood pressure, some by an aneurysm, some by deteriorating heart muscles, some by clots. In fact, it's the same with most medical conditions.

However, the Republican Policy is "Let Him Die". Or "Die quickly", unless their brain dies, then we are duty bound to keep their bodies alive on machines.

CaféAuLait;7208588 said:

True, patients are getting gouged. But it's more complicated than that. There are all kinds of heart attacks. Some triggered by blood pressure, some by an aneurysm, some by deteriorating heart muscles, some by clots. In fact, it's the same with most medical conditions.

However, the Republican Policy is "Let Him Die". Or "Die quickly", unless their brain dies, then we are duty bound to keep their bodies alive on machines.

( emphasis added)

Right, that is why HHS took that into consideration as their report shows.

CaféAuLait;7209326 said:
CaféAuLait;7208588 said:

( emphasis added)

Right, that is why HHS took that into consideration as their report shows.

I assume they have the same types of heart attacks in Arkansas as they do in california? Maybe California's includes botoxed lips???

CaféAuLait;7208588 said:

and yet look at the difference in price.....those dam Californian liberals sure like to gauge you.....oh thats right.....Arnie was gov once.....im sorry....

Last edited:
It pays to shop around,I needed some surgery last fall,looked at all the options in New York state,found a much better value out of state for much less,the charges varied greatly for the same service locally and all where on the expensive side. Quality care don't mean it cost you an arm and leg.

The actual bill should be: heart treatment $6000, paying for the 12 illegals here before you $86000

That is a lot of it. I don't think it is all illegals. Healthcare cost for people who pay or have insurance have soared since Reagan signed the EMTALA into law.

CaféAuLait;7208588 said:

and yet look at the difference in price.....those dam Californian liberals sure like to gauge you.....oh thats right.....Arnie was gov once.....im sorry....

In your zeal to attack California, you missed this part:

Even within the same region, costs can run to opposite extremes. HHS pointed out that the bills submitted for treating heart failure with some complications ranges from a low of $21,000 to a high of $46,000 in Denver, Colo., and from a low of $9,000 to a high of $51,000 in Jackson, Mississippi.

And yet ALL of California is the same? Really Harry, I thought you were smarter than that.

Forum List

Back