Your First Car

1965 VW Camper. 6 volt battery. The one shown is a 1967, but close.

Always parked on a hill if able. Made it easy to push start. :badgrin:
restored-1967-Westfalia-VW-camper.jpg
Very nice. I always wanted one of those. One that is well taken care of or new is expensive as hell though.

1964 Galaxie convertible...

... 390ci, 4-speed, only 800 were made that year...

... put an 8-track tape player in it...

... an' chrome reverse all around...

... Mom made me sell it when I bought a `67 Mustang...

... which I ended up losing in a divorce...

... I still dream about the Galaxie from time to time.

Wow... only 800?

I'll bet you wish you still had that car!

Very nice. I always wanted one of those. One that is well taken care of or new is expensive as hell though.
I loved that old bus. Push starting and all. I still have the battery charger for it from Sears. Charges 6 volt and 12 volt. They built the stuff to last back then. We used to go to the beach with it. It was the RV of the day. LOL

I loved that old bus. Push starting and all. I still have the battery charger for it from Sears. Charges 6 volt and 12 volt. They built the stuff to last back then. We used to go to the beach with it. It was the RV of the day. LOL
I still want to get one or something similar and start taking a bunch of road trips.

View attachment 59903 bought a 58 like this before I went into the service.

I like VW. The new and the old. I had a couple of bugs from the 60's back in the day, and one fun-to-drive '73 Karmen Ghia.

They weren't to frustrating to work on... Germans must have small hands :dunno:
Not that hard to work on. The bus had 3 bolts holding the engine. Then you lift the bus up and over the engine. Me and 2 brothers would do it. Later on it was hard to find the parts for the Bus.

I still want to get one or something similar and start taking a bunch of road trips.

A friend of mine had a bug, and we'd go mudding...........If you got stuck you got out and picked the VW out of the Mud and do it again.

:ack-1:

My first motorcycle. 1956 Harley Hummer, 165. More fun than a barrel of monkeys, but a mechanical nightmare, especially the electrical system. Even the Harley dealer refused to work on it. I found out years later that Harley did not manufacture it. Some other company built them and Harley just put their name on it because they did not have a light motorcycle to sell;

a71a71018e.jpg

View attachment 59903 bought a 58 like this before I went into the service.

I like VW. The new and the old. I had a couple of bugs from the 60's back in the day, and one fun-to-drive '73 Karmen Ghia.

They weren't to frustrating to work on... Germans must have small hands :dunno:
Not that hard to work on. The bus had 3 bolts holding the engine. Then you lift the bus up and over the engine. Me and 2 brothers would do it. Later on it was hard to find the parts for the Bus.

I liked the air-cooled design. It worked really well when it was clean.

My first motorcycle. 1965 Harley Hummer, 165. More fun than a barrel of monkeys, but a mechanical nightmare, especially the electrical system. Even the Harley dealer refused to work on it. I found out years later that Harley did not manufacture it. Some other company built them and Harley just put their name on it because they did not have a light motorcycle to sell;

a71a71018e.jpg
Umm! me likey

My first motorcycle. 1965 Harley Hummer, 165. More fun than a barrel of monkeys, but a mechanical nightmare, especially the electrical system. Even the Harley dealer refused to work on it. I found out years later that Harley did not manufacture it. Some other company built them and Harley just put their name on it because they did not have a light motorcycle to sell;

a71a71018e.jpg
Umm! me likey

Note that I edited it to the correct year, 1956

That is a bit too large of a bus lol. I love Willie Nelson's music when I travel, especially for extended and overseas trips. It reminds me of growing up in Texas.

AVG-Joe wrote: Wow... only 800?

I'll bet you wish you still had that car

Yea, sold it the year they announced...

... the automakers would quit making convertibles...

... so I knew it would become a collectible on that alone...

... but I couldn't afford insurance on 2 cars...

... and with that 390/4bbl engine...

... I wouldn't have been able to afford gas for it...

... when gas went over 50 cents a gallon.

But it was fun while I had it.

Now if we can talk about the MOST FUN car ever owned, it was my 1987 Buick Grand National!

wheelie-gn-jpg.199649
My brother considered buying one to store as an investment. Wish he would have. Sweet ride!!

Mark

The money I spent on that car to run 10.0 quarters at 135 was enough to buy a NEW HELLCAT that can do the same with a set of DR's and a conversion to E85!

But back in the 1990's I made a lot of money street racing it.

Forum List

Back