Your Feelings on Euthanasia / Required Living Wills- Who has the Right to decide?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by overrunwithsons, Feb 26, 2008.

1. overrunwithsons

overrunwithsons Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am curious as to HOW people feel about this issue---and WHY..... Please state if you are a Republican/ Democrat/Independent, Religious-(what religion)/Non-theist also. Question is... How do you feel about having the RIGHT/Choice to end your own life if you have a terminal condition/ pain ridden state with no end facing you but a slow agonizing death- or having this done for YOU if you are not able minded or physically able, and/or of the life of a loved one who allows you this option -inwriting of coarsegiven they are no longer in a position to answer for themselves?? I was thinking they should mandate LIVING WILL Forms be a Required Questionare when we go to get our Drivers Liscense-or Doc visits (something), just as we have to decide if we want to be Donor or not in the event of our death. With Universal Health care coming, I would imagine MANY cuts will have to be made, so this is bound to be coming up in some varied forms in future years -as our Country keeps sinking further & further & further in debt. Then you have to consider all of the Court cases we waste outrageous amounts of money on -because someone did NOT have a Living Will & the fighting over thier being. It just shouldn't be. All of us must speak for ourselves -ahead of time to avoid the unnecessary costs/burdens of this issue. What are your thoughts?

2. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,289
    Liberal/bright - I agree that we need a living will and if life became so bad it wasn't worth living any longer, euthanasia should be an option. I have to make one yet, my wife has one which she has given me twice before serious surgery.

3. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    It is my life and my choice to continue it or end it, not the states.

Ask the Gunny, I am an ultra conservative, former catholic and cemintarian.:razz:

4. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,865
    Euthanasia gaining in acceptance...
    [​IMG]
    Gallup: Euthanasia Now Accepted by 69% of Americans
    June 24, 2016 – A Gallup poll released today, June 24, found that the majority of Americans believe euthanasia should be legal, with 69 percent agreeing that when a person has an incurable disease and requests euthanasia “doctors should be allowed by law to end the patient's life by some painless means.”

5. HenryBHough

HenryBHough Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,190
    I am very much in favour of living wills and have had one for decades.

But to make it mandatory?

Imagine you are chained to a big rock but have enough to reach food, water, and a toilet. But just enough.

Would you be willing to surrender just one link? and for the next "mandatory" thing, one link more?

The more things that are mandated the fewer choices we are allowed. Ought we not to jealously protect our right to choose those things pertaining to ourselves?