Your Feelings on Euthanasia / Required Living Wills- Who has the Right to decide?

Feb 9, 2008
I am curious as to HOW people feel about this issue---and WHY..... Please state if you are a Republican/ Democrat/Independent, Religious-(what religion)/Non-theist also. Question is... How do you feel about having the RIGHT/Choice to end your own life if you have a terminal condition/ pain ridden state with no end facing you but a slow agonizing death- or having this done for YOU if you are not able minded or physically able, and/or of the life of a loved one who allows you this option -inwriting of coarsegiven they are no longer in a position to answer for themselves?? I was thinking they should mandate LIVING WILL Forms be a Required Questionare when we go to get our Drivers Liscense-or Doc visits (something), just as we have to decide if we want to be Donor or not in the event of our death. With Universal Health care coming, I would imagine MANY cuts will have to be made, so this is bound to be coming up in some varied forms in future years -as our Country keeps sinking further & further & further in debt. Then you have to consider all of the Court cases we waste outrageous amounts of money on -because someone did NOT have a Living Will & the fighting over thier being. It just shouldn't be. All of us must speak for ourselves -ahead of time to avoid the unnecessary costs/burdens of this issue. What are your thoughts?

Liberal/bright - I agree that we need a living will and if life became so bad it wasn't worth living any longer, euthanasia should be an option. I have to make one yet, my wife has one which she has given me twice before serious surgery.

It is my life and my choice to continue it or end it, not the states.

Ask the Gunny, I am an ultra conservative, former catholic and cemintarian.:razz:

Euthanasia gaining in acceptance...
icon_cool.gif

Gallup: Euthanasia Now Accepted by 69% of Americans
June 24, 2016 – A Gallup poll released today, June 24, found that the majority of Americans believe euthanasia should be legal, with 69 percent agreeing that when a person has an incurable disease and requests euthanasia “doctors should be allowed by law to end the patient's life by some painless means.”
The first time Gallup found a majority in favor of euthanasia was 1973. The percentage in favor of euthanasia grew from 53 percent in 1973 to 65 percent in 1990. “In the last 25 years, Americans have solidly been in favor of doctors having the ability to end patients' lives, with between 64% and 75% favoring the practice,” Gallup wrote. While 69 percent of Americans agreed that doctors should be allowed to end patients' lives by painless means, only 51 percent of Americans said that if they personally had an incurable disease and were living in severe pain would they “consider ending their own lives by some painless means.”

Also, although 69 percent said that doctors should be allowed to assist in ending a patient’s life, only a slight majority, 53 percent of Americans, said the practice is “morally acceptable.” “Over the past 15 years, the highest percentage of Americans saying doctor-assisted suicide is morally acceptable occurred in 2015, at 56%,” according to Gallup, “this trend has fluctuated between 45% and 56% since 2001.”

The poll’s results come just after California’s “End of Life Option Act,” legalizing physician-assisted suicide went into effect in June. The practice is also legal in Oregon, Washington, Vermont, Montana and New Mexico. The Gallup poll’s results are based on phone interviews that were conducted May 4-8 on a random sample of 1,025 adults, aged 18 and older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.

Gallup: Euthanasia Now Accepted by 69% of Americans

I am very much in favour of living wills and have had one for decades.

But to make it mandatory?

Imagine you are chained to a big rock but have enough to reach food, water, and a toilet. But just enough.

Would you be willing to surrender just one link? and for the next "mandatory" thing, one link more?

The more things that are mandated the fewer choices we are allowed. Ought we not to jealously protect our right to choose those things pertaining to ourselves?

Forum List

Back