• David Copperfiled

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don Quixote

• Brother Karamazov

• Total voters
Sep 12, 2008
What is the favorite book you read that was the most challenging, interesting and the longest read?

When I was in high school, I picked up a copy of Anna Karenina at the bargin bin. It was actually very entertaining. I preferred the second story about Kitty Schterbitskaya and Konstantine Levin to the main story about Anna. But still, it was a great story.

ANd when I was taking a break from college I was house sitting for a relative. All I had to do was water the plants. They had no TV, so for entertainment I had a copy of Les Miserables. It took a week of reading 350+ pages per day to get through it. Hugo was paid by the word for the book, and he was very discursive. Still, the story was great. I sort of felt sorry for Javert though.

David Copperfield and Oliver Twist just got too darn long. I preferred the Old curiosity Shop

Oswald Spengler's "Decline of the West"

I didn't finish it.

Another unfinished tome on my list of books I'll eventually get round to finishing was Gibbons' Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

So many books, so little time

I have several.

1. Dantes Inferno

2. The wealth of nations (so close to finishing, but just couldn't muster enough energy)

3. Anything by Anne Rice or Robin Cook

Should have put wealth of nations up there. I didn't finish it before I was 30.

The trouble is, he has that huge and stupid discussion on the price of Silver in the first third of the book. Best thing to do is just skip that part. The rest of the book is so much better.

What is the favorite book you read that was the most challenging, interesting and the longest read?

When I was in high school, I picked up a copy of Anna Karenina at the bargin bin. It was actually very entertaining. I preferred the second story about Kitty Schterbitskaya and Konstantine Levin to the main story about Anna. But still, it was a great story.

ANd when I was taking a break from college I was house sitting for a relative. All I had to do was water the plants. They had no TV, so for entertainment I had a copy of Les Miserables. It took a week of reading 350+ pages per day to get through it. Hugo was paid by the word for the book, and he was very discursive. Still, the story was great. I sort of felt sorry for Javert though.

David Copperfield and Oliver Twist just got too darn long. I preferred the Old curiosity Shop

other than A Tale of Two Cities (which isn't a door stop book) I found Dickens mostly bored me to tears.

My grandfather dropped a copy of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay in my lap when I was 12 I think. A more difficult read for a 12 year old I think would be hard to find. However, it allowed me to look at life in a different way and I was never prone to fads or even truly caring about what people thought of how I looked which to a youngster is amazingly powerful.

Forum List

Back